News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Started by silviakjell, August 03, 2006, 07:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silviakjell

Quote>>
This is an insult...my, my, my...maybe I should rethink joining this forum if folks here are going to be this sensitive and characterize this as an insult. I'll remeber to walk on eggshells in the future.   <<

Yes, this is an insult. Not that insulting, but nevertheless, still an insult.
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Im right.

silviakjell

Oh, and BTW, onlyme, i am not happy with my life and i never will be happy with my life. You can never be truly happy. If you are happy, it means that you have acheived all the goals in your life. You can never acheive all the goals in your life. and even if you delude yourself into thinking you have, then what is life without goals? One of your goals should always be to make more goals.

Now I ask you. Are you happy with your life? Answer truly.
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Im right.

Asmodean Prime

sivliakjell:  of course I'm not happy with my life.  How can anybody be truly happy all the time with all the problems associated with this life?   I have as many difficulties and problems as the next person, maybe more than some, less than others.  But in alll of my problems, I find that I can turn to God and find support.   This is not just an emotional thing, I mean that God actually does intervene in a tangible way sometimes, which I have assurance of as well, through His Spirit.  I know this happens, and that it is real.  Why else, do you think, that I would be a Christian, if it just meant suffering abuse, name calling, exclusion, etc, just to hold on to an empty belief?

I believe for a reason.  And by belief, I don't just mean blind faith, but confirmation.  I believe because I've seen.

And after some of the things I've experienced, it would not only be foolish of me, but impossible, not to believe.  I will always believe.  I have no choice.  And I wouldn't want to go back to not believing if I could.

I've seen.  Therefore I believe.

Asmodean Prime

[color=#] [/color][size=9] [/size]

Many (most) creationists haven't even read one page of a book in support of evolution, because they often believe it may sway their thinking or something similar. However, we could learn a thing or two by reading the Bible, so that we can see where the creationists are coming from...and how to debunk what they say. Read up on Kent Hovind, Ray Comfort etc, see what they say, and come up with rebuttals. Read their criticisms of atheism and evolution and find out how to conteract these accusations. It works like this:

1) Creationist looks up Ray Comfort's challenges to evolution (I believe there are 44) and decides to use these on an "unsuspecting" atheist.
2) The "unsuspecting" atheist, however, has already read these lies and knows how to counteract every one of them.
3) When the two meet at high noon, the creationist challenges the atheist to a duel / debate, the atheist fires the salvos right back at the creationist. Atheist 1, Creationist 0. But when you emerge the victor, don't be unkind; drag his battered body back to the saloon and let him recover.

"If you know your enemy as yourself, you need not fear the result of one hundred battles" - Sun Tzu

McQ

Quote from: "StillWatersRunDeep"[color=#] [/color]

Many (most) creationists haven't even read one page of a book in support of evolution, because they often believe it may sway their thinking or something similar. However, we could learn a thing or two by reading the Bible, so that we can see where the creationists are coming from...and how to debunk what they say. Read up on Kent Hovind, Ray Comfort etc, see what they say, and come up with rebuttals. Read their criticisms of atheism and evolution and find out how to conteract these accusations. It works like this]

Yep, it is always prudent to know as much as possible about your opponents. Some here were Christians previously. Some have serious education in Christian theology too.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

toink33

Common sense, some science books/mags, and the dicovery channel and national geo channel is all i have against their challenges. I have a bible buy i dont read it. I can't get pass the tree of knowledge part. ( either god intended adam and eve to eat the fruit so he can have fun punishing them or he is so stupid to have placed that tree within their reach without some security, i don't get. )

bmxrider724

well god gave them free choice. i mean if they chose to eat it its their fault. i figure that gods whole purpose isnt to make us do the right thing, or less he woudnt have made free will, the main thing is choice. the choice to do a certain thing. wihtout it nothing would be real. then you go on to why not make a world without choices, which people on here have already talked about.

Whitney

It's not really a free choice when you are incapable of fully understanding the consequences of your actions.  Also, it's one thing to allow choice (being able to choose freely is a good thing) yet another to punish everyone for the fault of two ignorant beings.

pony1976

I think that one tends to base his or her life philosophies on the assumptions that everyone feels like they do, and that mode of thought, I think, is essentially incorrect.

Everyone does not have a god shaped hole in their life, and when people do feel this way, it may be that they have been inculcated with that label for the feeling, that it is merely a common human feeling that has been mislabeled as a "god hole" to console the sheepish.

I am honest in my assertion that I make my own meaning in life, and that I have absolutely no need for imaginary friends, my real ones are quite sufficient.

your "you can be honest if you want" comment is the nice loophole you will use to convince yourself that I am spouting nonsense. Enjoy your delusion.

bmxrider724

i agree with pony, as a christian i know that the statement "everyone has a god shaped hole" is not gonna help anyone. and laetus i dont get what you mean, and maybe its my 15 yr old knowledge that is leading me to belive this, but i find if you choose to do it, its free choice. and it makes sense that god punished them because he said, if you do this i will punish you. as a baby if it chooses to do something, its true, it does not know the consequences of its actions, but it still does it and it was not forced to. what makes that not free choice? again i am only 15 so bear with my uneducated words, my ideas though, there great lol

McQ

Quote from: "bmxrider724"i agree with pony, as a christian i know that the statement "everyone has a god shaped hole" is not gonna help anyone. and laetus i dont get what you mean, and maybe its my 15 yr old knowledge that is leading me to belive this, but i find if you choose to do it, its free choice. and it makes sense that god punished them because he said, if you do this i will punish you. as a baby if it chooses to do something, its true, it does not know the consequences of its actions, but it still does it and it was not forced to. what makes that not free choice? again i am only 15 so bear with my uneducated words, my ideas though, there great lol

bmx, 15 years old or not, would you please do everyone a favor and use grammar, punctuation and spelling that make more sense? We all get in a hurry when we type and we all make mistakes. That's ok. But everything you type is painful to wade through just to try and understand your points.

Thank you.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

toink33

Is it free choice if you tell someone to follow you or if he don't he will burn in hell forever? Or is this a blackmail?

Squid

Quote from: "bmxrider724""everyone has a god shaped hole"

...[/butthead]uh huh huh huh...you said "hole" uh huh huh huh...[/butthead]

Tom62

Quote from: "Squid"[/butthead]uh huh huh huh...you said "hole" uh huh huh huh...[/butthead]

Thanks for reminding me to buy the Beavis and Butthead DVD's! Uh, huh, huh huh ... let's blowup something uh huh..
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

bmxrider724

Quote from: "toink33"Is it free choice if you tell someone to follow you or if he don't he will burn in hell forever? Or is this a blackmail?

if i say dont kill someone because if you do then the police will be after you and you do kill them, was it free choice then? just because an action warrents a bad consequence doesnt make it blackmail. of course you have free will to kill someone.