News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

new guy

Started by abdulqawi, June 15, 2011, 08:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: abdulqawi on June 16, 2011, 03:06:28 PM
i defined the essence of cosmicism well enough above, namely cosmic terror and cosmic indifferentism.
It didn't make sense when attached to theist without the further explanation...

Quoteif you have reasons to believe that life is anything but a nihilistic horror i'd love to hear it

Your viewing life as a horror is subjective...I choose to look for and produce good in life because that is more enjoyable than seeking out horror in everything.

Anyway...get to know the rest of the members; we can discuss this in depth when you reach your 50 posts.

abdulqawi

QuoteIt didn't make sense when attached to theist without the further explanation...
i know what i said and what kind of sense it made. i guess you could say i don't much care.

QuoteYour viewing life as a horror is subjective...I choose to look for and produce good in life because that is more enjoyable than seeking out horror in everything.
of course it is subjective; horror is simply a more authentic response to objective reality than is the contrivance of enjoyable mental states. not that it matters either way of course. the cultivation of apathy is attractive to me, but I find bitter disgust mixed with terror to be a more enlivened internalization of the human condition. apathy strikes me as a cop out, as do willful blinders and the manufacture of shallow, pacifying sentiments about the world. but really, psychological inclinations are irrelevant. i think to deny the essential tragedy and monstrous impersonality of existence is simply delusional. it seems the brain is quite good at obfuscating the implications of reality. perhaps if fully appreciated one's sanity might be at stake. the nonchalance with which many profess the bankruptcy of existence, and then turn around and behave as though this existence is anything but loathsome farce... i hope to strive for stark realism, no matter how distasteful or terrifying it might be. but in the end it doesn't matter.

Whitney

Quote from: abdulqawi on June 16, 2011, 09:48:52 PM
horror is simply a more authentic response to objective reality than is the contrivance of enjoyable mental states.

I don't feel that way (btw, if something is subjective it can't be 'more authentic')perhaps you are clinically depressed?

original_gender

of course it is subjective; horror is simply a more authentic response to objective reality than is the contrivance of enjoyable mental states. not that it matters either way of course. the cultivation of apathy is attractive to me, but I find bitter disgust mixed with terror to be a more enlivened internalization of the human condition. apathy strikes me as a cop out, as do willful blinders and the manufacture of shallow, pacifying sentiments about the world. but really, psychological inclinations are irrelevant. i think to deny the essential tragedy and monstrous impersonality of existence is simply delusional. it seems the brain is quite good at obfuscating the implications of reality. perhaps if fully appreciated one's sanity might be at stake. the nonchalance with which many profess the bankruptcy of existence, and then turn around and behave as though this existence is anything but loathsome farce... i hope to strive for stark realism, no matter how distasteful or terrifying it might be. but in the end it doesn't matter.

By quoting this, I am constructing a time capsule for the viewing pleasure of your future self. Promise me you will remember our brief time together with warmth and affection, brave abdulgawi. *insert kissy face emoticon with writhing tongue and excessive moisture*

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: original_gender on June 16, 2011, 11:51:13 PM

By quoting this, I am constructing a time capsule for the viewing pleasure of your future self. Promise me you will remember our brief time together with warmth and affection, brave abdulgawi. *insert kissy face emoticon with writhing tongue and excessive moisture*

You seem to be taking our dismissal very bravely, for myself I'm bitterly disappointed I won't get to share the horror.

leedan

Um...
This is the Happy Atheist Forum,   right?

original_gender

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 17, 2011, 02:49:45 AM
You seem to be taking our dismissal very bravely, for myself I'm bitterly disappointed I won't get to share the horror.

You will be happy to learn that your bitter disappointment is the first step on the road to abandoning your "manufactur[ed] ... shallow, pacifying sentiments about the world" and embracing "the bankruptcy of existence" but be careful "[anybody lacking the apathy-driven gall to ignore basic grammar]'s sanity might be at stake".

The part that I'm finding difficult to cope with is the fact that I'm pretty sure the last time I was on an atheist-themed forum, a few years ago, somebody referring to themselves as a Cosmicist Theist just about bit my nose off. I'm wondering if he and I are on some kind of schedule.

Whitney

Quote from: leedan on June 17, 2011, 03:35:21 AM
Um...
This is the Happy Atheist Forum,   right?

I had to re-check too ;)

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: original_gender on June 17, 2011, 03:55:56 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 17, 2011, 02:49:45 AM

You will be happy to learn that your bitter disappointment is the first step on the road to abandoning your "manufactur[ed] ... shallow, pacifying sentiments about the world" and embracing "the bankruptcy of existence" but be careful "[anybody lacking the apathy-driven gall to ignore basic grammar]'s sanity might be at stake".

The part that I'm finding difficult to cope with is the fact that I'm pretty sure the last time I was on an atheist-themed forum, a few years ago, somebody referring to themselves as a Cosmicist Theist just about bit my nose off. I'm wondering if he and I are on some kind of schedule.

I'm thinking of becoming a Cosmicist, do you you think Gautama's Unhappy Brother would be a good screen name?

abdulqawi

in other words none of you have anything substantive to say. as expected anyway. i'll bet that in some suppressed corner of your brain you're all nihilists.

whitney: your lack of mental subtlety offends me. farewell.

Tank

Quote from: abdulqawi on June 17, 2011, 09:38:16 AM
in other words none of you have anything substantive to say. as expected anyway. i'll bet that in some suppressed corner of your brain you're all nihilists.

whitney: your lack of mental subtlety offends me. farewell.
Well wasn't that fun!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

Ho hum. <Yawn>
It's all just so drull, may as well not have bothered. Think I'll just go back to bed now, no point getting up, S.S.D.D.
The horror of it all, so sad <sigh>

Hey , I've just got a brilliant idea,

On second thought, never mind, it would probably be beyond your limited comprehension. Just go back to your mundaine thoughts, I was expecting too much from mere humans, atheists at that!

If only I were born a god, I wouldn't have to bore myself with something so trivial as life and limited human intellect, what a joke that is!

Whitney

i'll bet that in some suppressed corner of your brain you're all nihilists.

One doesn't have to think everything is horrible in order to be a nihilist.  One does have to be depressed in order to only find horror in the world...get help.

Nick_A

Hi abdulqawi

Buddha did say that life is suffering. I agree with you that the universe is as it is and mechanical reacting organic life life on earth leads from dust to dust and all the suffering that goes along with it.

The essence of all the great traditions suggest that consciousness and conscious ACTION can provide an alternative to what is the fate of mechanical REACTION. Perhaps it is only through developing our potential for conscious awareness that human meaning and purpose can be revealed. Why not explore it before resigning yourself to the inevitable cycle of "dust to dust?"

Whitney

Quote from: Nick_A on June 17, 2011, 04:36:39 PM
Buddha did say that life is suffering.

Yes, but only due to our attachment to things.  You'd be hard pressed to find a buddhist who describes life as a horror.