News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Thank you for having me...

Started by Siz, September 06, 2011, 09:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Hi all,

Before I tell you about myself I wanted to let you know about the motivations that brought me here. For many, many years I've held my tongue on the subject of religion because I seemed to always offend people. Having recently been reading about atheism and studying its relevance to me I realise that the problem is not mine. I am bored with feeling apologetic for my inherently a-theistic thoughts. I am delighted to have found a forum of intelligent, articulate people who share my ideas and outlook. It's time I fully and unashamedly embraced my atheism.

I am 39 and from London. I am happily married (to a church-goer) and have two beautiful children aged 4 and 7 (for which I thank...er... me). I am sporty and love cycling, sailing and gym. I love good food, fine wine and smelly French cheese.

I enjoy life without god and feel privileged to exist - how amazing! I am not a hater of religion, but now demand the same respect for my beliefs as demanded by the religious - that is not to have to justify myself.

There are two things I want to sign off with which I hope will provide some mirth:

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike.

If god had wanted us to believe in him, he would've existed...

I hope I can add to the colour of your forum and look forward to sharing thoughts and arguing ideas.

Thanks for reading...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Hi ScissorLegs

Glad you took the time to join up and join in!

Welcome to HAF

Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Bonjour Scissorlegs,

Welcome to the forum. I also like good food and smelly french cheese but not a fan of wine at all.

You mentioned that your spouse is a church-goer and that you have children, what personal stance do you take when it comes to religion and your children?
Retired member.

highway17

Siz

Hi Crow (et al),

Yeah, this is a bit of a minefield, but I have always maintained my integrity
My wife is a regular face at the church which enabled places in our local, excellent C of E school for the kids. While I support her in her endeavours I do not take part in any church-related activities. I was happy to let the children be Christened (which my wife was keen on) but I refused to take part in the ceremony, remaining at the back as part of the audience.

I enjoy engaging the children on the subject of Jesus as it gives me the chance to put across my own slant on the bible. I am happy to entertain the idea that Jesus was a real , exceptional man, and I'm normally able to be realistic without directly contradicting the school. (i am happy for the children to learn about the bible - there are some interesting ideas and stories. I certainly enjoyed it as a child too). They still believe in Father Christmas - what's the difference?

When it comes to a direct question about my beliefs, I will not lie. But their decision about their own destiny is theirs. I'm fairly confident that they will be sensible enough to come to their own conclusions (as I did), but if they choose religion then so be it.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Siz

I would like to add that I do not pull any punches with my wife when it comes to arguing theology. She knows what I think of her church and its flock. We work around this in everyday life and agree to disagree.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has a similar relationship, or encounters theological disagreements with any relations. Are they accepting of your atheism? Are you adamantly and unforgivingly atheist? Or are you tolerant like me? And do any of you wear your atheism on your sleeves in the face of religious oppression?

Happy with no god

Hello and wecome.

I also love good food, fine wine and smelly French cheese, but would also add to that beer and of course the gym.

My wife is not a believer  (i would say she is more agnostic) but she is the type who just says "sorry not interested" when we get the knock on the door on a Sunday morning, whilst i like to argue my point.

I don't know why people are so keen to put the details of their private life in public(Facebook). They forget that invisibility is a superpower."

Xjeepguy

Quote from: Scissorlegs on September 06, 2011, 11:17:40 PM

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has a similar relationship, or encounters theological disagreements with any relations. Are they accepting of your atheism? Are you adamantly and unforgivingly atheist? Or are you tolerant like me? And do any of you wear your atheism on your sleeves in the face of religious oppression?

It's funny you should ask. Just last night my wife and I had a discussion where she informed me she was getting offended by some of the things I had to say on religion. She doesn't go to a church, or go around annoying people with it, but she does believe in a supreme being. I would say we reached that point of agreeing to disagree. I am confident she will eventually come around, because she is already questioning her own beliefs. I will give her some space and let her figure it out.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Siz

@xjeepguy,

Sounds like she's just about ready to jump into the (atheist) light. Chuck her a copy of the God Dilusion and her God is toast...
Hope you can work it out without upsetting the cart. As for my wife - she's a bit too far gone...(not least because she feels it gives her some connection to her late mother - I cant take that away from her...)

I believe that the socially conditioned fear of NOT-believing is a tough nut to crack. Most people don't even realise they've been subject to this conditioning since birth. This is the biggest barrier to a wholesomely atheist society.

McQ

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the intro. Also a lover of smelly cheeses here. Also married to a theist Catholic (sort of). She doesn't hold to their beliefs, really any more.

Enjoy the forum!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette