News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Retired member.

Ihateyoumike

Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Entrust

Nothing like good ol' Willie Nelson.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

levi_athan

This was the intro to the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie. Imagine being in the theater at the start of the show, not knowing what to expect, thinking these are the movie rules... I still listen to it from time to time for a good laugh. I really wish it were standard for all movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=MOK6WXb4700
beep boop boop beep beep

levi_athan

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on September 07, 2012, 02:03:18 AM
Cat Power's new album, Sun.

I've been meaning to check that album out. Love Cat Power. BTW is that a Royal Tenenbaum's avatar? I'm hearing Needle in the Hay in my head. Watch out for Pagoda! He'll shank ya! I am a HUGE Wes Anderson fan. Seen all of his movies several times except for Moonrise Kingdom which I've only seen once. I love the cuss out of everything Wes has ever touched.  
beep boop boop beep beep

Stevil

I'm now listening to Dream Theatre, never really listened to them before but the CD store was selling 5 albums for $20, so I couldn't refuse.

Also decided to chase Dio's past and got The Very Best of Rainbow, has about 5 songs from Dio and 11 from other singers. Dio's songs are more interesting, the others have more catchy chorus, but all the singers are great.

The sound quality of pre 90's music is so much better, especially the drums. Even the 70's stuff is better, It is sad to realise we have gone backwards.

Crow

Quote from: Stevil on September 07, 2012, 09:27:14 PM
The sound quality of pre 90's music is so much better, especially the drums. Even the 70's stuff is better, It is sad to realise we have gone backwards.

Yes and no, music producers are the biggest audiophiles you will ever meet and as technology improved not only did the recording but speaker quality did as well, producers put more focus on the higher end speakers which frequencies can not be played on even pretty good speakers now, due to the constraints on audio formats. So at the higher end the music quality is outstanding especially if you go for higher quality formats. If you are ever interested in sampling high quality audio at an affordable price without disturbing the neighborhood check out the 'Shure SE315 Sound Isolating Earphones' and play your favorite CD's, you wont be disappointed. If you can afford it go for the SE535's and prepared to have music ruined for you from any other source, hell even the base model of that range will do that.
Retired member.

Stevil

Quote from: Crow on September 07, 2012, 09:56:30 PM
Yes and no, music producers are the biggest audiophiles you will ever meet and as technology improved not only did the recording but speaker quality did as well, producers put more focus on the higher end speakers which frequencies can not be played on even pretty good speakers now, due to the constraints on audio formats. So at the higher end the music quality is outstanding especially if you go for higher quality formats. If you are ever interested in sampling high quality audio at an affordable price without disturbing the neighborhood check out the 'Shure SE315 Sound Isolating Earphones' and play your favorite CD's, you wont be disappointed. If you can afford it go for the SE535's and prepared to have music ruined for you from any other source, hell even the base model of that range will do that.
Due to the loudness war, no matter how good your system is, the drums are gonna sound like rubbish, in the mid 90's they compensated by making more impacting drum sounds, but they sound like shit. Now they don't over compensate, but the drums sound dead, no bounce, no substance.

Crow

Quote from: Stevil on September 07, 2012, 10:10:16 PM
Due to the loudness war, no matter how good your system is, the drums are gonna sound like rubbish, in the mid 90's they compensated by making more impacting drum sounds, but they sound like shit. Now they don't over compensate, but the drums sound dead, no bounce, no substance.

From having a pair of those headphones and quite an extensive selection of music I would have to disagree. Though to be fair I have never sat down and directly compared the drums from similar styles of music across the years.
Retired member.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Crow

Retired member.

Stevil

Quote from: Crow on September 07, 2012, 10:18:00 PM
Quote from: Stevil on September 07, 2012, 10:10:16 PM

From having a pair of those headphones and quite an extensive selection of music I would have to disagree. Though to be fair I have never sat down and directly compared the drums from similar styles of music across the years.
A good check is to compare a remastered version of a song. It is very obvious when you listen for it.

Crow

Quote from: Stevil on September 11, 2012, 08:30:56 PM
A good check is to compare a remastered version of a song. It is very obvious when you listen for it.

I had a little comparison over the weekend and it is very obvious in metal, not so much in other genres but you are right the drums sound muddier.
Retired member.