News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

External GPU (graphics card) - Options?

Started by joeactor, May 18, 2018, 06:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Hey gang,

Techno nerd question...

I'm thinking of getting a fanless laptop (because I need dead silence to record), but most are pretty bad with graphics performance. Specifically video work, rendering graphics and gaming.

So, has anyone here used an External GPU?

They seem like a good option if you have a Thunderbolt 3 port, plus an extra $700-$1000 to burn.

Are they any good? Are there cheaper ways to get what I want?

Sell me something!

Arturo

I've only built a PC and don't have much experience with them. I've mostly just used pcpartpicker and used YouTube. But there is also another source (costs money) on steam called "PC Building Simulator" where you can build your own realistic PC and put it together with real parts. The parts don't cost money but the game does. All the parts are real like their real-life counter-parts. And I've heard you can do troubleshooting with it too. It's not something I have now but probably will in the future.

Sorry I can't help you that PC building isn't my forte'
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Might be better to just get two,one fanless and the other regular. The reason is that you're going to pay a lot more for something that works half as well. But those external cards do work better than no video card I just don't think they are worth the cost (even though two laptops ends up costing more).

If it were me, I'd see if I could get by with a Windows tablet, those don't have fans and can run most Windows software like recording applications and a bunch are less than $1000. I suppose you might be hooked into Apple software, but maybe their tablets can work for you instead.

When I was recording things, I put my computer into a sound box with that sound dampening foam, and that worked pretty well to cancel out the fan noise. I don't have that box any more though, it got damaged and I was going to build a newer better one. I might end up just getting a Windows tablet if I want to get back into it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

The fans I use are very quiet actually. And very cheap. They were like $20-$30 each I think. I bought two.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

joeactor

Quote from: Arturo on May 18, 2018, 06:31:05 PM
I've only built a PC and don't have much experience with them. I've mostly just used pcpartpicker and used YouTube. But there is also another source (costs money) on steam called "PC Building Simulator" where you can build your own realistic PC and put it together with real parts. The parts don't cost money but the game does. All the parts are real like their real-life counter-parts. And I've heard you can do troubleshooting with it too. It's not something I have now but probably will in the future.

Sorry I can't help you that PC building isn't my forte'

Very interesting... I'll have to go check it out on Steam - Thanks!
As for fans, there's quiet, and there's silent. Mine has to be silent if it's not in another room, that is.

Quote from: Davin on May 18, 2018, 07:36:44 PM
Might be better to just get two,one fanless and the other regular. The reason is that you're going to pay a lot more for something that works half as well. But those external cards do work better than no video card I just don't think they are worth the cost (even though two laptops ends up costing more).

If it were me, I'd see if I could get by with a Windows tablet, those don't have fans and can run most Windows software like recording applications and a bunch are less than $1000. I suppose you might be hooked into Apple software, but maybe their tablets can work for you instead.

When I was recording things, I put my computer into a sound box with that sound dampening foam, and that worked pretty well to cancel out the fan noise. I don't have that box any more though, it got damaged and I was going to build a newer better one. I might end up just getting a Windows tablet if I want to get back into it.

I like the tablet idea. I guess I was aiming for just turning on the GPU when I needed it, and still having something that's silent and portable to record.

The cheapest external GPU I've found so far is around $650 USD.

Arturo

My computer runs silent. I actually have no problem speaking into my own microphone while it sits in front of said fans. But I don't have a sound proof room for recording if that's what you have. Mine is in my living room.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

joeactor

Quote from: Arturo on May 18, 2018, 08:15:50 PM
My computer runs silent. I actually have no problem speaking into my own microphone while it sits in front of said fans. But I don't have a sound proof room for recording if that's what you have. Mine is in my living room.

My mic picks up absolutely everything. Seriously sensitive...
Would be ok if the computer was in another room, but that's not possible with a laptop.

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on May 18, 2018, 08:21:19 PM

Would be ok if the computer was in another room, but that's not possible with a laptop.

Can you run a USB/Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and a separate monitor/projector in one room with the actual laptop in another, or in a box? Though if you do not have a spare monitor, or a TV with RGB video input (as I use as an extension screen for my laptop), etc there is another cost.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

Quote from: Dave on May 18, 2018, 08:29:27 PM

Yes - that's another option. I could then just get a gaming laptop. Still pricey, but no external GPU to worry about. They are heavier though. Many paths to go down...

I think the pricing for a true gaming laptop vs. a silent laptop with external GPU works out to be close to the same price. Definitely gonna need Thunderbolt if I go external.
Can you run a USB/Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and a separate monitor/projector in one room with the actual laptop in another, or in a box? Though if you do not have a spare monitor, or a TV with RGB video input (as I use as an extension screen for my laptop), etc there is another cost.

Arturo

Quote from: joeactor on May 18, 2018, 08:33:57 PM

Yes - that's another option. I could then just get a gaming laptop. Still pricey, but no external GPU to worry about. They are heavier though. Many paths to go down...

I think the pricing for a true gaming laptop vs. a silent laptop with external GPU works out to be close to the same price. Definitely gonna need Thunderbolt if I go external.

Not sure if you could do that because the microphone would still be in the other room would it not?
     Arturo The1  リ壱

joeactor

Quote from: Arturo on May 18, 2018, 08:43:57 PM

Not sure if you could do that because the microphone would still be in the other room would it not?

I could run the USB interface over too, along with the mic. (XLR -> USB)
Lotta cables.

Arturo

Quote from: joeactor on May 18, 2018, 08:48:20 PM

I could run the USB interface over too, along with the mic. (XLR -> USB)
Lotta cables.

It could work!
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Um, yes, unless you had a long enough lead between the mic and the laptop.  Somewhere I have a USB hub that also takes a mic and a headset plus line in/out, not sure about the quality though - think it is only designed for use with Skype and domestic recording from players. I used it to interface an old cassette recorder.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

I'm leaning toward the HP EliteBook Folio G1 for the laptop, with the External GPU of Gigabyte AORUS Gaming Box