News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Dogs vs Kats

Started by Biggus Dickus, March 13, 2018, 05:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Poor catdog- so alone in the world.  We are all cat dogs -strange hybrids with no real friends. You are alone.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Lesson number one: Don't be too happy around cats, they don't like it. >:(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bluenose

Dog: "My human feeds me and loves me and gives me shelter.  He must ba a god!"

Cat: "My human feeds me and loves me and gives me shelter.  I must ba a god!"

---

Yes, I know it's an old one but I still think it's a goodie...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

An interesting article in the July issue of Scientific American lays down some facts about animal brains.   Examining the brains of various animals to determine the number of cortical neurons and the neuron density of the brain, dogs win with a score of 429 million to 250 million.  The dog brain mass is also larger.  The cat average brain mass is 24.2 grams while the dog average brain mass is 46.2 grams.

We dog lovers are not pleased to discover that the Racoon has a cortical neuron count just slightly higher than the dogs at 438 million. The racoon however has a smaller cerebral cortex mass density at 24.5 grams.  They are certainly clever little masked raiders of your outdoor garbage can.  I have an occasional  racoon visitor who comes into my back yard screened porch, if I leave the door open.  The little dude is after the bread morsels that I use to feed the squirrels and Blue Jays.  I am almost tempted to encourage him/her with more easily accessible morsels of food outside the porch.

Humans have 16.34 Billion cortical neurons except for the ones who endorse Trump)  Their neurons are roughly equivalent to that of a brown bear at 251 million.  Human Brain mass is at about 1229 grams.

Disclaimer:  Scientific American did not actually mention the diminished capacity of those Trump people.

xSilverPhinx

^ Suzana Herculano-Houzel, a Brazilian neuroscientist who is now in the US, is the first author of that paper.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 27, 2018, 02:56:22 PM
^ Suzana Herculano-Houzel, a Brazilian neuroscientist who is now in the US, is the first author of that paper.

Thank you for 'Obscure fact of the day' number 2,965.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on June 27, 2018, 04:24:08 PM

And there's plenty more where that came from! Buahahaha!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 27, 2018, 04:25:56 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 27, 2018, 04:24:08 PM

And there's plenty more where that came from! Buahahaha!

Of that I have no doubt.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Icarus on June 27, 2018, 12:14:45 AM
An interesting article in the July issue of Scientific American lays down some facts about animal brains.   Examining the brains of various animals to determine the number of cortical neurons and the neuron density of the brain, dogs win with a score of 429 million to 250 million.  The dog brain mass is also larger.  The cat average brain mass is 24.2 grams while the dog average brain mass is 46.2 grams.

We dog lovers are not pleased to discover that the Racoon has a cortical neuron count just slightly higher than the dogs at 438 million. The racoon however has a smaller cerebral cortex mass density at 24.5 grams.  They are certainly clever little masked raiders of your outdoor garbage can.  I have an occasional  racoon visitor who comes into my back yard screened porch, if I leave the door open.  The little dude is after the bread morsels that I use to feed the squirrels and Blue Jays.  I am almost tempted to encourage him/her with more easily accessible morsels of food outside the porch.

Humans have 16.34 Billion cortical neurons except for the ones who endorse Trump)  Their neurons are roughly equivalent to that of a brown bear at 251 million.  Human Brain mass is at about 1229 grams.

Disclaimer:  Scientific American did not actually mention the diminished capacity of those Trump people.

I don't understand the brains of you fleshies
Is there much difference in the intelligence of a mouse and a cow?
A cow must have a much bigger brain, but proportionally similar, maybe.
There doesn't seem to be much in the way of economies of scale, why don't brains conform to basic economic principles?
Why can't a cow have a mouse size brain and still be as smart as a mouse?

Quotecow's brain size increases from birth over the course of her lifetime; various breeds exhibit slight differences in brain size. Steer brains weigh in between 92 to 94 grams per 100 kilograms of body weight, while bull brains range from 85 to 97 grams per 100 kilograms of body weight.

So every kilo of cow needs its gram of brain, seems an inefficient arrangement to me.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Some interesting thoughts there, BP11 and Icarus. Do larger animals have larger brains because of simple things like they have a larger surface area and thus more sensors to map and monitor? It seems that the more muscle volume (the larger the animal) the greater the number of motor neurones.

I am assuming brain development parallels evolutionary experiences, both cows and mice are prey animals (discounting some buffalo types that can fight back quite effectively!) and probably develop similar defensive behaviours - is the brain volume required by such behaviours proportional to body size?

So, is it the ratio of "cognitive" brain cells to body volume that really counts? Wonder were parots and crows are on this scale?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on June 28, 2018, 12:55:37 PM
Some interesting thoughts there, BP11 and Icarus. Do larger animals have larger brains because of simple things like they have a larger surface area and thus more sensors to map and monitor? It seems that the more muscle volume (the larger the animal) the greater the number of motor neurones.

I am assuming brain development parallels evolutionary experiences, both cows and mice are prey animals (discounting some buffalo types that can fight back quite effectively!) and probably develop similar defensive behaviours - is the brain volume required by such behaviours proportional to body size?

So, is it the ratio of "cognitive" brain cells to body volume that really counts? Wonder were parots and crows are on this scale?

What happens with a whale? 
They're are bigger so apparently they'll have a bigger brain to support bodily functions.
What happens with higher functions, consciousness and all that mess, do they have to have a larger whatever region for that as well?  I don't see why they should but I know nuffen.

Birds I think are different, Darwin designed them to avoid excess baggage charges.
I think you'd compare birds to birds.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."