News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Good news for us wine and chocolate lovers

Started by Dave, November 11, 2017, 08:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

https://newsstand.google.com/articles/CAIiEGbaB6Z357bcLd-l4RAGpqsqFggEKg4IACoGCAowzdp7ML-3CTDdyhU
Chemical found in red wine and dark chocolate rejuvenates cells, study finds

'These old cells were looking like young cells. It was like magic'

Seems to support previous stories that were going around.

Another good reason to indulge!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Other support for those delightful and delicious substances:

QuoteWhy drinking red wine and eating chocolate may be good for your gut

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/04/29/why-drinking-red-wine-and-eating-chocolate-may-be-good-for-your-gut/?utm_term=.381e866852da

QuoteChocolate and red wine 'are the secret to beating wrinkles': Scientists find both help rejuvenate old cells

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5065255/Chocolate-red-wine-secret-beating-wrinkles.html

The really serious bit, that involves other food types as well, is gut flora health it seems. Remembering other diet related research that I have read, especially in the very young, time to look again at my diet - it's never too late to do so.

So I am off to the store later for another bottle and bar of medicine.  :grin:

xSilverPhinx

The news story is a bit sensationalist I think, but ok, they need to sell stories, making it seem like they stumbled on the fountain of youth is one way of doing that, I guess.

I wonder what concentration of your resveratrol in your average wine would be needed to have some effect? Its antioxidant action is already well known, but the thing is, what a lot of people don't know or seem to forget is that oxidants can be important in physiology, such as in combating cancer cells and infections. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 11, 2017, 11:54:24 AM
The news story is a bit sensationalist I think, but ok, they need to sell stories, making it seem like they stumbled on the fountain of youth is one way of doing that, I guess.

I wonder what concentration of your resveratrol in your average wine would be needed to have some effect? Its antioxidant action is already well known, but the thing is, what a lot of people don't know or seem to forget is that oxidants can be important in physiology, such as in combating cancer cells and infections.

Yeah, another need for a tongue in cheek emoji. Perhaps, somewhere out there in the massive fog bank that is "The Cloud" is probably a sensible explanaition - in layman's terms with just a sprinkling of the science stuff.

But medical propaganda also seems to push anti-oxidants, especially for reducing chances of cardiac disease.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 11, 2017, 12:32:41 PM

Yeah, another need for a tongue in cheek emoji. Perhaps, somewhere out there in the massive fog bank that is "The Cloud" is probably a sensible explanaition - in layman's terms with just a sprinkling of the science stuff.

But medical propaganda also seems to push anti-oxidants, especially for reducing chances of cardiac disease.

I don't doubt there is some truth to it, I'm just wary of news stories that may exaggerate findings to make them look like something they're not.

Oxidants do some damage, but my point was they're not the 'totally evil molecules that need to be eradicated or else' that people say in order sell their anti-oxidant products. It's true however that as we get older our capacity to neuralise such molecules becomes less and that may cause some damage (white hair is one example, caused by oxygenated water that is no longer efficiently broken down by the enzyme called peroxidase). But I think there's a little hype and craze surrounding that topic as well.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 11, 2017, 05:22:47 PM
Quote from: Dave on November 11, 2017, 12:32:41 PM

I don't doubt there is some truth to it, I'm just wary of news stories that may exaggerate findings to make them look like something they're not.

Oxidants do some damage, but my point was they're not the 'totally evil molecules that need to be eradicated or else' that people say in order sell their anti-oxidant products. It's true however that as we get older our capacity to neuralise such molecules becomes less and that may cause some damage (white hair is one example, caused by oxygenated water that is no longer efficiently broken down by the enzyme called peroxidase). But I think there's a little hype and craze surrounding that topic as well.
Yes, I dislike referencing news media but sometimes that is the low hanging fruit. Any way, here's my new medication regime:

xSilverPhinx

Dave

xSilverPhinx

But chili though, I prefer mint myself. :grin:

Yes, treat yourself to the best, Dave, you deserve it.  :thumbsup: