News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Creationist/Flat Earth/Etc Images

Started by Pasta Chick, December 07, 2016, 03:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on October 24, 2017, 06:02:23 PM
Davin, That one went a little long but it made its point rather well.

I contend we are both right, one (Davin) in the real world of buses and jumping people, myself in the theoretical (but still right under expetimental conditons!)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

If the bus is traveling at 30 MPH, then the person would only need to be in the air for half a second to "travel" 21 feet. If they can manage a whole second, then they could make it 43 feet.

Quote from: Icarus on October 24, 2017, 06:02:23 PM
Davin, That one went a little long but it made its point rather well.
Beliefs are tough things to combat. Especially when those beliefs are tied to more personal things.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on October 24, 2017, 07:36:34 PM
If the bus is traveling at 30 MPH, then the person would only need to be in the air for half a second to "travel" 21 feet. If they can manage a whole second, then they could make it 43 feet.

But, at the moment of jumping (vertically)  the person is also doing 30mph, or whatever, in the same direction as the bus so, near as dammit, yes relative to the bus they will travel the same distance. Any loss of speed due to lost momentum whilst airborn will be tiny and lost in the "noise", but will still exist. The air around the jumper is also travelling at the speed of the bus (if all the windows are closed tight).

Davin

Quote from: Dave on October 24, 2017, 08:23:46 PM

But, at the moment of jumping (vertically)  the person is also doing 30mph, or whatever, in the same direction as the bus so, near as dammit, yes relative to the bus they will travel the same distance. Any loss of speed due to lost momentum whilst airborn will be tiny and lost in the "noise", but will still exist. The air around the jumper is also travelling at the speed of the bus (if all the windows are closed tight).
Well, just track the time in the air, with the distance difference, and repeat a few thousand times. Aggregate the data and see if there is a trend to "moving backwards."
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on October 24, 2017, 08:40:10 PM
Quote from: Dave on October 24, 2017, 08:23:46 PM

Well, just track the time in the air, with the distance difference, and repeat a few thousand times. Aggregate the data and see if there is a trend to "moving backwards."

As I said, in practice, with a jumping human, its probably immeasurable due to uncontrollable variables - but that does not mean it does not exist.

And its connection to "belief" is only where this applies the works of Newton and Einstein, in which I have "faith".

Dave

Biggus Dickus

I consider the anti-vaxer crowd to be one in the same with the creationists, flat earthers,...anyway I really want to get one of these shirts.

Love it!

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Dave

^
I may not comment on all, Silver, but your offerings always give me a laugh!

Thanks.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 10, 2017, 08:16:57 AM
^
I may not comment on all, Silver, but your offerings always give me a laugh!

Thanks.

:grin::grin::grin:

Icarus

xSilverPhinx

No one

Well, Argentium is a brainolgist, and knows all to well on how to tap into the laughitorium center of the thinking unit.