Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Current Events / Re: Another Mass Shooting
« Last post by Icarus on Today at 07:53:34 PM »
I can get on board with this teachers attitude about the need for functional societal norms. .  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5407511/Florida-teacher-Facebook-post-gun-violence-goes-viral.html

Religion / Iceland's mooted circumcision ban sparks religious outrage
« Last post by Tank on Today at 06:55:29 PM »
Iceland's mooted circumcision ban sparks religious outrage

Religious groups have condemned a bill in Iceland's parliament that would ban circumcision for non-medical reasons.

The draft law would impose a six-year prison term on anyone guilty of "removing part or all of the [child's] sexual organs", arguing the practice violates the child's rights.

Jewish and Muslim leaders however have called the bill an attack on religious freedom.

Iceland would be the first European country to ban the procedure.

The country is thought to have roughly 250 Jewish citizens and around 1,500 Muslim citizens...

A step in the right direction!
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by Buddy on Today at 05:25:53 PM »
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by Dave on Today at 05:20:24 PM »
Just felt like sharing this...    ;D
https://sports.yahoo.com/norway-dominating-medal-count-time-somebody-something-112948749.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb

OK, just 'cos you guys live in the arctic, are born with skis or skates already fitted etc!

:grin:
« Last post by Dave on Today at 04:45:43 PM »
It seems that some are saying they will vote for Emma Gonzalez, the students' spokesperdon and march organiser, if she ever went into politics.

Florida school shooting: Students to march on Washington

Young survivors of Wednesday's school shooting in Florida have announced a national march on Washington to demand political action on gun control.

Student organisers told US media that they were determined to make Wednesday's shooting a turning point in the national gun debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43105701

« Last post by Davin on Today at 04:44:20 PM »
Now there is a gun apologist trying to justify keeping guns. "We have to make sure mentally ill and bad guys don''t get guns..." being part of the pattern. So do you subject every gun owner to regular psychological testing to make sure they are not in danger of flipping, are maybe harbouring a festering grudge about an imagined insult to their person? I think it takes a degree of inherent paranoia and/or aggressiveness to want to own firearms for any other use than purely sporting, just the sort of person who should not be allowed to own them.
Most pro gun people agree with the idea of not letting criminals or the severely mentally ill to get guns, but fewer want to take measures to do something about it. Like background checks and banning even personal sales without them.
Quote from: Dave
The argument, "Maybe we should ban trucks as well since they have killed so many in the hands of terrorists..." was also voiced.
At least it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle in public without a license which requires passing a test or two to show competency, something not true about guns in most states. That is how I usually respond to people saying something similar.

I have noticed that reluctance.

President Donald Trump supports efforts to improve the federal background check system for gun purchases, the White House has said, less than a week after a school shooting in Florida resulted in the deaths of 17 people.

Now, let's see how he defines "improvement"!

I like the license argument, seennit before but forgotten it.

But . . . The person who passes the background test today may be a different personality, in the future, after being jilted, expelled, sacked or whatever. Perhaps there should be an annual retest, entirely at the gun owner's expence. That would help reduce unemployment. I don't think there will ever be an acceptable, to all, solution to this short of something close to a natiinal civil uprising.
As much as I dislike Trump, he's got to do something right eventually... I mean, even by accident right?

If a license is on the table, then I think it should be a four year one and require a renewal process that re-evaluates the person. A lot of drivers licenses work that way, it wouldn't be a completely foreign process.
« Last post by Davin on Today at 04:40:49 PM »
Like background checks and banning even personal sales without them.

We ought to at least start with this and also requiring some level of training.  Surely this would not be too burdensome.  If that works to reduce this type of event, great.  If not, go on with more restrictive methods.  But at least start with something.
I think it will also reduce the amount of criminals having guns. Will it stop them? No, but it will make them more expensive because the black market is much more expensive than the legal market. And anything that increases those costs reduces the amount of criminals that can afford them.

And if they can just get a knife anyway... well good, I prefer my chances against a criminal with knife over a criminal with a gun. A nervous knife finger doesn't make the criminal accidentally stab someone. And the few times I've been on the wrong end of a gun during a robbery, there's not much scarier than a shaky hand with a finger on the trigger when the gun is pointed at my head.
« Last post by Dave on Today at 04:36:54 PM »
Now there is a gun apologist trying to justify keeping guns. "We have to make sure mentally ill and bad guys don''t get guns..." being part of the pattern. So do you subject every gun owner to regular psychological testing to make sure they are not in danger of flipping, are maybe harbouring a festering grudge about an imagined insult to their person? I think it takes a degree of inherent paranoia and/or aggressiveness to want to own firearms for any other use than purely sporting, just the sort of person who should not be allowed to own them.
Most pro gun people agree with the idea of not letting criminals or the severely mentally ill to get guns, but fewer want to take measures to do something about it. Like background checks and banning even personal sales without them.
[quoter=Dave]The argument, "Maybe we should ban trucks as well since they have killed so many in the hands of terrorists..." was also voiced.
At least it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle in public without a license which requires passing a test or two to show competency, something not true about guns in most states. That is how I usually respond to people saying something similar.

I have noticed that reluctance.

President Donald Trump supports efforts to improve the federal background check system for gun purchases, the White House has said, less than a week after a school shooting in Florida resulted in the deaths of 17 people.

Now, let's see how he defines "improvement"!

I like the license argument, seennit before but forgotten it.

But . . . The person who passes the background test today may be a different personality, in the future, after being jilted, expelled, sacked or whatever. Perhaps there should be an annual retest, entirely at the gun owner's expence. That would help reduce unemployment. I don't think there will ever be an acceptable, to all, solution to this short of something close to a natiinal civil uprising.
« Last post by Ecurb Noselrub on Today at 03:34:38 PM »
Like background checks and banning even personal sales without them.

We ought to at least start with this and also requiring some level of training.  Surely this would not be too burdensome.  If that works to reduce this type of event, great.  If not, go on with more restrictive methods.  But at least start with something.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10