News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Hello Everybody

Started by silviakjell, July 27, 2006, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

"there is no spoon" is a quote from the movie Matrix.

Squid

Quote from: "silviakjell"Ah, pink unicorn symbol. hehe, weird.

Thanks Squid. and what's that green monster thing doing? Is it displaying my IP address or your's?

It's a little item that you can pick up at the website http://www.danasoft.com/.  They have neat little things like that there.

silviakjell

Oooh, I get it. I'll make one when i find a couple of worthy quotes. Thanks!
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Im right.

Squid

No problemo.

silviakjell

Eh, sorry to be gone for so long. I sorta didn't have time to go on the computer after I came back to America. School and all. I gotta catch up a lot, i see. so many new topics...agh....

MommaSquid

Take your time catching up on things...a lot of our members are students and things have gotten quiet around here since classes started again.  

I'm glad you made it back to the States in one piece.  :)

silviakjell

thanks. and after a long break, im back again...

say... if i told some of my classmates to come to this forum, would it liven things up? I just announced that i was an atheist in science class when religion came up and as soon as i finished saying that, about 4 different people said "You're an atheist? god's gonna kill you" or "You'll burn in HELL!!! BWAHAHA!!"
and the guy sitting next to me kept on telling me - who made this paperclip? god did. he made the people who made this paperclip.  Who made the earth? it just appeared? you know, when it rains, it's really god pissing. who made this piece of paper? god did. etc. etc.

so i told him ther's no proof that god exists, and he said that there's no proof that god doesn't exist. So I challenged god to kill me and blow me up, but my science experiment went quite well, no unexpected explosions or anything.

I think a lot of them could be converted if only they'de listen...

Dam! it's pissing me off so badly!I really want them to come to this forum, but i doubt they'll "waste thier time"

Tom62

Well, if your classmates say those nasty things then they cannot be proper christians. Wasn't there somewhere written in the bible that a christian should love their enemies? But anyway, the name of this forum is "Happy Atheist Forum". Your classmates are definitively not happy, nor atheist.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Whitney

Welcome back.

Quote from: "silviakjell"I think a lot of them could be converted if only they'de listen...

For someone who is raised to believe in a god, thinking of one not existing can be an abstract concept that goes beyond what many are able to comprehend without a lot of serious thought.  From the comments your classmates gave, it seems that they are still in a parroting stage and not at a state of maturity necessary for questioning the foundation of their beliefs.  So, right...if only they would listen (and not in the way you listen to a boring lecture) they would at least realize that they have no basis for picking on you for not sharing their faith.

I especially like the one who held up a paperclip...He was so convincing with that one that I might just go to church this Sunday ;)

You can invite them to discuss here (preferably pick one or two of the more reasonable ones to prevent it from being a circus-like discussion).  I will be expecting them to follow the rules just like anyone else though...ie, if you invite them here there is a possibility they will get banned if they act like they did towards you in class.

bmxrider724

Quote from: "Tom62"Well, if your classmates say those nasty things then they cannot be proper christians. Wasn't there somewhere written in the bible that a christian should love their enemies? But anyway, the name of this forum is "Happy Atheist Forum". Your classmates are definitively not happy, nor atheist.

i agree i am a christian and i belive that god died for me and all that stuff, i say all that stuff because you guys have already heard it all. so when i argue or debate with an athiest its not soley because i want to be right, its because its what i hold to be true and i want everyone to know it, much like what you guys wanna do. you spread what you belive to be true.

bmxrider724

to elaborate i agree and disagree, if a christian does something wrong i belive that god forgives them, if they ask for forgiveness. so you can still be a christian and do bad things, but if you realy love god then you wont want to do bad things. thats how i look at it. also the bible says that we should love everyone. i also belive that i am fairly mature in my faith. i am no sheep of my religion, and you might say that i am because if i actualy looked into my religion i would find it faulty and fake. well i have looked into what i belive and i dont find it false, it makes the most sense to me. and i say the same thing to you. of course its crazy because were all biased, i am biased to see only what i wanna see and the same goes for you. as for the proof of evolution or god, there is no such thing, so its not what is true, its ultimatley what WE choose to belive. i dont know if i went on a tangent but thats how i feel about that.

Whitney

You must have a different standard for what you consider proof that I do.  In my view there is no choice in what we believe...we look at the world around us, gather information, and process that to come to a conclusion.

McQ

Quote from: "bmxrider724"to elaborate i agree and disagree, if a christian does something wrong i belive that god forgives them, if they ask for forgiveness. so you can still be a christian and do bad things, but if you realy love god then you wont want to do bad things. thats how i look at it. also the bible says that we should love everyone. i also belive that i am fairly mature in my faith. i am no sheep of my religion, and you might say that i am because if i actualy looked into my religion i would find it faulty and fake. well i have looked into what i belive and i dont find it false, it makes the most sense to me. and i say the same thing to you. of course its crazy because were all biased, i am biased to see only what i wanna see and the same goes for you. as for the proof of evolution or god, there is no such thing, so its not what is true, its ultimatley what WE choose to belive. i dont know if i went on a tangent but thats how i feel about that.

What would you consider "proof" of something? How are you defining the word? Is evidence the same as proof? I ask because you said there was no proof of evolution. I'll be following that one up, based on your answer.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tom62

Quote from: "bmxrider724"to elaborate i agree and disagree, if a christian does something wrong i belive that god forgives them, if they ask for forgiveness. so you can still be a christian and do bad things, but if you realy love god then you wont want to do bad things.

When I do something wrong  I feel guilty and I'll try everything that I can do to correct my mistake. This is much more effective than asking a mythical being for foregiveness. Anyway, it is not god that you should ask for foregiveness, but the person(s) that you've harmed with your bad deed(s). Ofcourse I don't want to do bad things. Not wanting to do bad things is however not an attribute of being a theist or atheist. Just like loving god has nothing to do with doing the right of wrong thing.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein