News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on September 14, 2018, 09:15:46 PM
I'm feeling exceptionally low today. I should've been a good day too.

That sucks, JJ. Hope you are feeling better today.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

A little over two weeks until I give my first class to almost 60 undergraduates. I almost feel sick every time I think about it.

No one

If you want to graduate from almost feeling sick to full blown nausea Argentium, just imagine them naked.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: No one on September 17, 2018, 11:44:28 PM
If you want to graduate from almost feeling sick to full blown nausea Argentium, just imagine them naked.

Hee hee, that's just what I was thinking. But I taught high school, which would have been just a bit inappropriate. :D

Anyway, Silver, just remember that you know more than they do, by orders of magnitude. You'll do fine.  8)

Icarus

Silver, dear lady, please get over the improbable possibility of failure or whatever it is that strikes fear into your heart and mind.  We HAFers have known you for a long time and it is clear that you are a smart as hell woman who has a keen sense of humor, and communicates well.  So  WTF is the problem here.  Just get out there and do your thing.  Those 60 underclassmen will either get it or they wont.  You will have delivered the subject information  with reasonable skill and previous knowledge.  So crack a few jokes to ease the tension and get their attention.  :cheers:

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on September 18, 2018, 01:15:26 AM
Silver, dear lady, please get over the improbable possibility of failure or whatever it is that strikes fear into your heart and mind.  We HAFers have known you for a long time and it is clear that you are a smart as hell woman who has a keen sense of humor, and communicates well.  So  WTF is the problem here.  Just get out there and do your thing.  Those 60 underclassmen will either get it or they wont.  You will have delivered the subject information  with reasonable skill and previous knowledge.  So crack a few jokes to ease the tension and get their attention.  :cheers:

Seconded with enthusiasm.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on September 17, 2018, 11:44:28 PM

;D  I can't risk feeling nauseous while giving the class! Besides, what if a Freudian slip betraying my thoughts finds its way into my speech?  :-X

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on September 18, 2018, 01:15:26 AM

I don't know, what if they ask a question I don't know the answer to? I'm not that smart... :-\

jumbojak

You're definitely smarter than me but, in that situation, I suggest honesty. Simply say that you don't know and then figure out the answer after class. Once you're a world renowned lecturer in about twenty years it'll be tough for a student to stump you.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on September 19, 2018, 12:50:56 AM
You're definitely smarter than me but, in that situation, I suggest honesty. Simply say that you don't know and then figure out the answer after class. Once you're a world renowned lecturer in about twenty years it'll be tough for a student to stump you.

I'm really not that smart, I can barely get by at times! I like your answer! :thumbsup: And you're right, I should just say something like 'that's a good question. So good in fact, that I don't have an answer, but will do a little research and answer it next week. 

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 19, 2018, 01:33:26 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on September 19, 2018, 12:50:56 AM

I'm really not that smart, I can barely get by at times! I like your answer! :thumbsup: And you're right, I should just say something like 'that's a good question. So good in fact, that I don't have an answer, but will do a little research and answer it next week.

They ssy that an instructor need only be two steps head of the class to be safe - but there is always the bright smart-ass who reads ahead (or is on the second time round and enjoys taunting instructors.)

"An excellent question and one that deserves exploration - perhaps you could do that research as an extra assignment and tell us all about it next week?" seems the perfect response if you can pull it off!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dark Lightning

I had a kid one time in a physics class that got a book and did some reading, then asked some questions in class, on the first day. I gave him an "isn't that cute?" smirk and explained that we wouldn't be covering that in that class. It was actually out of scope. We were covering electrostatics and he had some questions about Quantum Mechanics. He had enough trouble with E=IR that I wasn't too concerned about having to cover the math for QM. Some kids just do that to derail the lecture.

Buddy

I woke up incredibly tired this morning and when I went to check my FitBit to see how I slept, it shows that I was awake for an hour and a half. I have no memory of this.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

How does it know you were awake?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz