News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Photo of a black hole

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, April 10, 2019, 05:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Frankly, it looks like a hot, sweet, Krispy Kreme donut.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 10, 2019, 10:50:02 PM
It does.  :snicker:

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 10, 2019, 10:50:02 PM

But a donut that could eat all of us! :P

Tank

Davin

Here's the Dr. Katie Bouman two years ago giving a TED talk about how to take pictures of a black hole.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Amazing stuff. Thank you for posting that, Ecurb Noselrub.  Here's a brief video which attempts to depict with more clarity what scientists think is being shown in the new image (from Science Friday).

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

joeactor

Here's a great explanation of why it looks the way it does (and the amazing physics behind it):

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Quote from: joeactor on April 11, 2019, 09:44:53 PM
Here's a great explanation of why it looks the way it does (and the amazing physics behind it):

I just watched that. Excellent explanation, and his projection (done before the image was released) of what would be seen was very accurate.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bluenose

Who says women can't do science?  This is brilliant!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett