News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The Orville

Started by Tank, February 02, 2019, 08:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Seth Macfarlane, best known for Family Guy is a bit of a SciFi geek. He created a TV series, The Orville. It is an unashamed 'hat tip' to the early Star Trek series. As a Treky it resonates at every level there are many LOL moments from that standpoint. But it is also the only new aspirational SciFi show that I am aware of airing at the moment. I love it.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on February 02, 2019, 08:49:56 AM
Seth Macfarlane, best known for Family Guy is a bit of a SciFi geek. He created a TV series, The Orville. It is an unashamed 'hat tip' to the early Star Trek series. As a Treky it resonates at every level there are many LOL moments from that standpoint. But it is also the only new aspirational SciFi show that I am aware of airing at the moment. I love it.

I hate it, I watched a few episodes.
The humour is crass, like those shit undergrad movies.
Galaxy Quest was good.
There is good new Star Trek stuff being produced.

Look at that fuck's fatuous fucking face, smug in its idiocy.
Could you imagine it even commanding your local Macdonald's?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Sandra Craft

I like The Orville (tho I wish they'd let me know if there's also the Wilber).  The times when I think "seriously?" about some plot point I remind myself that a) it's a comedy, and b) all the real Treks had big "seriously?" moments too.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Seth describes it as a Dramady and later on it is definitely more drama than comedy.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.