News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Pixels, how many do you need?

Started by Bad Penny II, January 25, 2019, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

As I type my eyes are 870mm from my 27" full HD monitor.
I've had it for about five years, it seems perfectly adequate.
Ye but there are monitors out there with more pixels, we must need one.
QuoteSamsung U28E590D 28" LED 4k FreeSync 1ms Gaming Monitor $332 Delivered @ Futu Online eBay
That's US $236
I paid over AU $400 for 17" CRT monitors back around 2001.
There's 32" monitors on offer, is that too much at 872mm away?
Too much is never enough.
There's curved, should I have paid $1200 and gotten something better?
Spending more could be justifiable, monitors last a long time.
Paying four times as much for something incrementally better, we're not that kind of fool.

I don't have any 4K video
Could spreadsheets use a bit more room? probably.
Anyway, I'm going 4K.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Personally I prefer working on 2 medium sized screens rather than one big one. It means I can have two programs running and visible at the same time and C&P stuff between them. Being a 'data wrangler' this suits me far better.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

As long as I can play 16-bit games just fine I'm good. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Very little benefit.
I've cropped some pics to fit and they look pretty good as a desktop background.
Spreadsheets do look better but I don't use any really big ones at home.
Just looking at some sample 4K video, looks good but so does full HD.
Probably should have got some new headphones instead, though I'd still have to use  my old ears. :-\

Maybe worth getting if you need a monitor, not to replace an OK full HD.

Dark Lightning

I did mechanical engineering design and analysis, but was limited to two 22" monitors. Made it tough when designing a structure that was many feet in all three dimensions.

Icarus

DL is a lucky dog to have assets like Solidworks or  Autocad programs.

I too did mechanical engineering design work, but I had to do it the old fashioned way with Pencils, templates, and vellum.  Sigh....I was born 50 years too soon.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on February 07, 2019, 11:49:27 PM

I too did mechanical engineering design work, but I had to do it the old fashioned way with Pencils, templates, and vellum.  Sigh....I was born 50 years too soon.

Vellum?  :o

Not sure if serious or not...as far as I know vellum was only used in medieval times before there was paper.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

^ Vellum is a generic name for a particular type of paper that is durable, accepts pencil or ink and is/was the standard of the industry and I suspect that it still is.  Ozalid machines used the vellum drawing to copy the content onto a different kind of paper that emerged as blue prints.

I have been out of that world for a long time and I suspect that large printers now transfer digital drawings directly to paper that becomes modern blueprints. 

Once again I claim to have been born 50 years too soon.

I still have a copy of Smoleys Tables of Slopes and Rises. That is a book that has pre-calculated  dimensions for almost any structural element lying at whatever angle, tables of logarithms and elaborate tables of trig functions.   Way back in the day we did not have even the basic handheld calculators, say nothing of the spectacular computer programs such as Mathcad.

Bluenose

For a number of years I provided IT support to automotive designers.  Printing on large format printers was really only done for legal purposes.  The real design was the 3D CAD. We used mostly Ideas and Unigraphics.  We were required to be able to access design work for up to 100 years and so we had to be able to read the data moving forward.  It was not good enough to migrate the data into new programs as the migration process was not likely to be perfect.  I'm not sure how the company planned to achieve this, that was out of my area, but that was the requirement from the legal eagles.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on February 07, 2019, 11:49:27 PM

I had Microsoft VISIO Technical, then Professional. I was technically a test engineer, so I couldn't get a "seat" with the rest of the designers on the mainframe systems. Still didn't stop me from designing things. As for vellum, that's how I started out. I have an antique (now junk, as my wife put it outside and it got rained on) drafting table. It was supposed to be covered, but wasn't, and I didn't catch it in time.  >:(

Icarus

I still have, and use,  a drawing board and a parallel arm drafting machine as well as an electric eraser, tons of templates, scales,  Copenhagen and French curves and  other such antiquated tools.   I had a Leroy set until a couple years ago.  I threw it in the trash bin.  That will eventually be the fate of the rest of my outdated treasures no doubt.

Bad Penny II

I sold my new monitor for what I bought it for, actually I lost $2.
Back to good old 1080p.