News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Nobel Laureate James Watson Loses Honorary Titles Over Race Comments

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 22, 2019, 08:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

QuoteNobel Prize-winning scientist James Watson, who helped discover the structure of DNA, was stripped of several honorary titles last week after his recent comments linking race and intelligence to genetics.

Speaking on a TV program which aired earlier this month, Watson reiterated his position that genes underlie racial differences on IQ tests.

Continues: http://time.com/5501811/james-watson-loses-honors-race-comments/

How can someone so smart be so dumb?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

The human brain is like a car with a stick, not everyone knows how to use it.

Sandra Craft

He's been making those comments for a while, I wonder what took them so long?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

At the risk of generating some heat, I am inclined to believe that demonstrated intelligence is closely aligned with ones societal and familial environment.  Not DNA.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on January 23, 2019, 12:20:08 AM

At the risk of generating some heat, I am inclined to believe that demonstrated intelligence is closely aligned with ones societal and familial environment.  Not DNA.

I'm of the opinion that it is a blend of nature and nurture.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on January 23, 2019, 07:44:19 AM

That seems incontrovertible (thanks Roger for that big word).
Einstein born as a Kalahari Bushman is going to be clever due his DNA, probably add a trick or two to Bushman craft.
For our Einstein the culture he was born into applied leverage to his genius and....
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

Agree.  Identical twins raised in radically disparate environments are going to show differences in intelligence.

Icarus

Ecurb, perhaps not a difference in capacity but a difference in motivation because of the difference in cultural, economic, or environmental factors.   

Recusant

The Cold Spring Harbor statement can be found here. Basically they say that the opinions he expressed on the television show amounted to a reversal of his earlier retraction of the same opinions, and this prompted their response.

Years ago I had a long discussion with somebody who felt that Watson was being unfairly punished for what the person claimed were essentially truthful statements. When I produced evidence that there isn't any substantial basis for Watson's claims, I got "refutations" from J. Phillipe Rushton and others of his ilk, mostly associated with the Pioneer Fund. Ah, memories.  :snicker1:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

jumbojak

Quote from: Icarus on January 23, 2019, 11:46:00 PM
Ecurb, perhaps not a difference in capacity but a difference in motivation because of the difference in cultural, economic, or environmental factors.

From what I've read on the subject that seems to be the case. There was an interesting article describing the rise in IQ scores corresponding with better nutrition in the US. I don't remember where I read it though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Ecurb Noselrub

The same person raised in an environment of abuse will have greater capacity if raised in an environment of love. Nurture matters.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 25, 2019, 02:35:44 AM

The same person raised in an environment of abuse will have greater capacity if raised in an environment of love. Nurture matters.

My wife is currently researching and writing on Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs). These can be things like poverty, abuse, poor or no education, parental loss and/or divorce etc. There is a correlation and apparent causation, of psychological issues later in life. Nurture is very important in development.   

SidewalkCynic

Quote from: Tank on January 25, 2019, 06:32:49 AMThese can be things like poverty, abuse, poor or no education, parental loss and/or divorce etc. There is a correlation and apparent causation, of psychological issues later in life. Nurture is very important in development.

Nobody is going to deny this to be true.

The problem is defining what is the ideal situation for raising a child (divorced/single parents are easily offended if not considered ideal), and then any siblings; and then, installing the proper education - indoctrination. Then we can define all of the possible deviations from the ideal, and then the correlating adjustments to ensure the proper indoctrination of the education that the adversely effected children need.
If there were a god, then it would have revealed itself to me. There has never been anything more important in the history of Mankind than what I am delivering - scientific collation theory for the organization of technology.

SidewalkCynic

Raising good, smart children is very difficult - it is not easy, and it is not a matter of having plenty of money, luxury appliances, and various other resources. As we approach perfect community/society, deviation from perfect parenting misses the target relatively more (adversely). In the less sophisticated eras of the past, parenting was not as difficult, because there were less aspects of technology (things to do) to consider. My parents were very close to ideal, but not perfect, and I consider myself to have been adversely effected, because I was slightly mislead, because my parents did not know any better - they were not perfect. I needed perfect parents, because I was a perfectly secular child ready for a perfect indoctrination of valid information.

Okay, then let's suppose what might be the effects on the intelligence of children that are indoctrinated by their parents, and their parents' friends, and their friends' parents, that they are persecuted and oppressed people, because of their color (or religion/atheism); rather than the possibility that they have been adversely effected by substance abuse, and/or survivors of child abuse or irrational indoctrination themselves? How about the hypocrisy of the use of the magic word in the black culture - is it possible that that might have an adverse effect on the people's ability to reason other subjects?

Pretty good chance there is a cycle going on in the ghettos. I know, I've been to homeless shelters as a client. I have sat in the waiting rooms for food stamps. I have toured through several ghetto projects in New York City - I have seen it. I have never lived in affluent neighborhoods with perfect neighbors with money and luxury.

So, if black people are not genetically deficient intelligence, but are adversely effected because of the various other factors, and they continue to grieve for adjustments from white people, then white people are their guardians that have to figure out a solution for them - and black people are going to be offended when they understand that they could not generate the solution.
If there were a god, then it would have revealed itself to me. There has never been anything more important in the history of Mankind than what I am delivering - scientific collation theory for the organization of technology.