News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Small celebrations

Started by Dave, September 19, 2018, 11:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I had enough brain cells awake on getting up today to remember to get the chicken breast and a chunk of olive bread out of the freezer to defrost for the evening meal. All without a post-it, a note on the whiteboard or an alarm on my phone!

Many years ago a well known brewery put out ads with a bottle of champers and a bottle of their lager. Under the former was, "To celebrate a birth, graduation or wedding etc." Under the lager was, "To celebrate the Readers' Digest marketing department losing your address."

This got them into legal trouble with RD!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dark Lightning

Legal trouble? RD's attorneys aren't any better than mine.  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Just got the result of my English proficiency test back. It is a mandatory test and I passed, thankfully.  :dance:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 29, 2018, 01:47:57 AM
Just got the result of my English proficiency test back. It is a mandatory test and I passed, thankfully.  :dance:

I wonder why...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on September 29, 2018, 02:14:47 AM

I wonder why...

Why what, exactly? :scratch:

hermes2015

Good news, but hardly surprising. Your command of English is much better than that of many native speakers (of English, of course).
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

:dance1:

I should bloody well think so!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 29, 2018, 02:47:00 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on September 29, 2018, 02:14:47 AM

I wonder why...

Why what, exactly? :scratch:

I was referencing you hanging out here, displaying a better grasp of the English language than some or our resident native speakers. Me for sure!

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

:badger: Thanks guys, I feel motivated to learn more because speaking English made my world a whole lot bigger than it would have been.

:hammock:

Quote from: jumbojak on September 29, 2018, 12:55:41 PM
I was referencing you hanging out here, displaying a better grasp of the English language than some or our resident native speakers. Me for sure!

Oh, come on JJ!  :eyebrow: You're way more competent than me. Or than I. I don't know. :P

jumbojak

You should hear me speak... I generally speak very slowly and tend to mangle a lot of words. When I'm upset I stutter like I did as a child.

You know, that's not a bad idea. Remember when The Walking Contradiction was here and a bunch of us made short recordings so we could put a real voice to the written word? We could pair up and push each other out of our comfort zones.

Like, if I were to read something to do with neuroscience and xSilverPhinx read something about diesel injection pumps. Maybe Hermes reads something about prototyping and Dave reads something about design. Not sure who we'd pair Gene up with. He's knowledgeable on just about everything.

Icarus

Your modesty is showing xSP.  Your command of the English language is more than merely satisfactory. 

I feel inferior to you multilingual people. I know  little bit of Spanish but mostly of the profane type.  That is not very useful in polite conversation.  My young Lithuanian friend with whom I have become close friends, is an accomplished English speaker that boggles my mind.  Justinas is also fluent in Russian, some German and Polish, and pig Latin too I would suspect. 

Keep up the good work Silver. We are proud of you for more than one reason.   

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on September 30, 2018, 02:08:27 AM
You should hear me speak... I generally speak very slowly and tend to mangle a lot of words. When I'm upset I stutter like I did as a child.

You know, that's not a bad idea. Remember when The Walking Contradiction was here and a bunch of us made short recordings so we could put a real voice to the written word? We could pair up and push each other out of our comfort zones.

Like, if I were to read something to do with neuroscience and xSilverPhinx read something about diesel injection pumps. Maybe Hermes reads something about prototyping and Dave reads something about design. Not sure who we'd pair Gene up with. He's knowledgeable on just about everything.

The beauty of this forum is that the written word is a levelling field that eliminates any accent-related prejudices. We can express our thoughts very clearly, without any distractions. I believe that many English speakers are unconsciously affected by a speaker's accent, probably owing to past (and present) social strata in the UK. My own accent was affected by the various environments I lived in, but to anyone in the know it is clearly white English South African. In the UK I am often mistaken for an Australian, but in Europe and the Middle East people assume I am British. Environment can affect one's accent in quite strongly. An example is Elon Musk, who has lost much of his South African accent, although it is still detectable, even after many years away from where he was born.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bluenose

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 30, 2018, 07:01:02 AM

The beauty of this forum is that the written word is a levelling field that eliminates any accent-related prejudices. We can express our thoughts very clearly, without any distractions. I believe that many English speakers are unconsciously affected by a speaker's accent, probably owing to past (and present) social strata in the UK. My own accent was affected by the various environments I lived in, but to anyone in the know it is clearly white English South African. In the UK I am often mistaken for an Australian, but in Europe and the Middle East people assume I am British. Environment can affect one's accent in quite strongly. An example is Elon Musk, who has lost much of his South African accent, although it is still detectable, even after many years away from where he was born.

I have a friend who was born in Scotland and has a quite strong Scots accent.  Of course, when she goes homw here family all tell her she has an Australian accent.  I was born in the UK and my family has tapes that we used to make to send back to our Australian family when my sister and I were both quite small.  Right proper little Pommie accents we had.  You'd have to ask Tank to be sure, but I think I've completely lost any Englishness in my accent.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

:blush: Heh, I'm really, really shy, pathologically shy when speaking in English to native speakers. Since I started learning English as a very young child my accent is less Brazilian than most, but still... :P

I can pronounce 'th' and don't pronounce the 't' in 'time' like...like Brazilians do. :grin:

But what's funny is how English speakers pronounce my first name, Fernanda. Makes me think of people dressed up as animals.  ::)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on September 30, 2018, 04:56:01 AM
Your modesty is showing xSP.  Your command of the English language is more than merely satisfactory. 

I feel inferior to you multilingual people. I know  little bit of Spanish but mostly of the profane type.  That is not very useful in polite conversation.  My young Lithuanian friend with whom I have become close friends, is an accomplished English speaker that boggles my mind.  Justinas is also fluent in Russian, some German and Polish, and pig Latin too I would suspect. 

Keep up the good work Silver. We are proud of you for more than one reason.

Thanks, Icarus. I just feel like I need to ace these things, you know? I don't even know the mark I got, just that I passed. But that's good enough for me!  ;D