News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 22, 2019, 10:25:55 PM
-- too many men with their wedding rings in their pockets there.

How about a dance club?
Sure! That sounds like fun.

I can seriously see you doing this and knocking them all dead:

I can't do that.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on August 23, 2019, 01:42:29 AM
If you do get there you have options. I'm sure of it.
Maybe.
But now that I think about it, I don't think I want to think about it anymore.
Very complicated.
:felix:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

I handed in my notice yesterday. So unless they make me an offer I can't refuse (unlikely) I will leave next Friday the 30th August into semi-retirement. I say semi-retirement as I won't be 'crystallizing' my pension for a while yet. My wife retires at the end of September and her severance/pension-lump-sum allows me to stop full time work now. But if something in the contract line pops up I'll consider it. So the dogs will get a lot more walking :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on August 23, 2019, 09:05:47 AM
I handed in my notice yesterday. So unless they make me an offer I can't refuse (unlikely) I will leave next Friday the 30th August into semi-retirement. I say semi-retirement as I won't be 'crystallizing' my pension for a while yet. My wife retires at the end of September and her severance/pension-lump-sum allows me to stop full time work now. But if something in the contract line pops up I'll consider it. So the dogs will get a lot more walking :)

I think you will enjoy full or semi-retirement. I find the days are too short since retirement and I'm sure it will be the same for you.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Magdalena on August 23, 2019, 02:45:15 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on August 23, 2019, 01:42:29 AM
If you do get there you have options. I'm sure of it.
Maybe.
But now that I think about it, I don't think I want to think about it anymore.
Very complicated.
:felix:

Na, it's not complicated.
Just remember men don't like weak women
they get bored so quick
And they don't like strong women
'Cause they're hip to their tricks
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 23, 2019, 10:25:17 AM
Quote from: Tank on August 23, 2019, 09:05:47 AM

I think you will enjoy full or semi-retirement. I find the days are too short since retirement and I'm sure it will be the same for you.

I'm looking forward to being my own source of motivation :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

The five day working week is wrong.
Two or three are enough for me.
Work more to earn more so you can buy more shit to reward yourself for the hours you'll never get back.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on August 23, 2019, 01:18:27 PM
Work more to earn more so you can buy more shit to reward yourself for the hours you'll never get back.

When I was lecturing at the Lebanese University in Beirut I arranged all my classes from Tuesday to Thursday, giving me lovely 4-day weekends to do my own thing.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Some have to work three days to pay the rent.

I know, I'd say it's time for a revolution but they seldom work out well.

Dark Lightning

I took my wife's car in for service last Tuesday. While I was in the waiting room another guy started talking to me about how people retire at 65 (+/-) years old and then live another 20 years or so. He is 76. He complained that people shouldn't spend 25% of their years idle like that. He is working the census to make enough money to travel to Europe this year and China next year. I guess not having enough money is making him bitter. Hell, I figured that I'd die before I could retire. I intend to enjoy what time I have left, regardless of how other people feel about it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Bad Penny II on August 23, 2019, 10:48:02 AM
Just remember men don't like weak women

And they don't like strong women

:notes:
OK.
Thanks.

Ecurb Noselrub

Agreed.  The money most of us make is never enough to make up for the time and freedom we sacrifice to make it. 

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 24, 2019, 04:26:06 AM
I like what Bill Gates has to say about giving away money.

https://sixpenceee.com/post/182644996914/i-love-everything-about-this

Hear, hear! I guess I should quit bitching about the high cost of an operating system, since at least some of that money goes to a good cause.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 18, 2019, 01:37:53 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on August 14, 2019, 06:18:14 PM
I was driving by yesterday, had the windows down while listening to some Van Morrison (Astral Weeks), when I thought I caught a whiff of either "White Widow or Afghan Kush"...I immediately thought of Magdalena.

So I thought I would stop by the forum, and say hello to everyone here.

So hi.

Father Bruno!   :wave hi:

:welcomeback:

Hi xSP....sorry, but I just saw this. Nice to see you again and thanks for the welcome. 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."