Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on July 23, 2019, 10:56:02 PM
Don't feel so bad, Mags.
If everybody thought like that, I couldn't be friends with Chris and his wife.  :cartoonviking:

Imagine how silly that would be...

Well we're probably all related to some extent.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on July 24, 2019, 01:50:34 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on July 23, 2019, 06:38:11 PM
If he's on the African continent, there is a possibility that some of his ancestors were selling fellow Africans into slavery.
This is sad, and hard to believe. :(

African slave traders.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on July 23, 2019, 10:00:31 PM
This conversation started to make me feel uncomfortable, I think I know why now. My grandfather was born in Spain and moved to El Salvador in 1921. I was born there, he raised me. When people find out, I get all sorts of complaints about the invasion and rape of Latin America by the Spaniards. He had nothing to do with it, I had nothing to do with it, but it's as if people get a chance to complain about it to our DNA, or the "ghosts" of our ancestors through us? --I don't know.  :sad sigh:
They say thing like, "So...you have the blood of the conquistador running through your veins?"
--As if most of us don't, in Latin America?  :(
I didn't ask for this. It makes me very sad.

While past peoples did as they wanted in the regions they colonised, to me it makes just as much sense to blame those with 'the blood of the conquistador running through their veins' (which, like you said, is a huge portion of the Latin American population) as it does for a god to make all of humanity pay for the sins of Adam and Eve. 

Most of my ancestors came from the Iberian peninsula and though they (in the past) exploited people and natural resources in Latin America I won't carry their 'sins'. For all I know, my forebearers during the middle ages might have burnt people at the stake for thinking differently and having different customs and cultures. Ruthless people in a no man's land plundering, raping, pillaging...murdering. Those were other times and I wasn't there to make their choices, so I can't be held accountable for them. 

But, yeah...I guess I'll not pursue knowledge of my genealogy past my great-grandparents. ::) Who knows what monsters I'd find.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

We are born into this existence with no preconceptions about what happened before, or will happen after we cease to exist. By the time we die we have received all kinds of "education" about what "we" were and what "we" will become. Well, I'm "me", and I'm here in my lifetime. I take NO responsibility for what my forbears did, and NO responsibility for my spawn, once they reach majority and I am no longer legally responsible.

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 25, 2019, 01:54:00 AM
While past peoples did as they wanted in the regions they colonised, to me it makes just as much sense to blame those with 'the blood of the conquistador running through their veins' (which, like you said, is a huge portion of the Latin American population) as it does for a god to make all of humanity pay for the sins of Adam and Eve. 
That's a good point.
Who am I gonna complaint about it, Adam's rib?  :sulk:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Buddy

Feeling dangerous and just came out on Facebook. Let's see how this goes.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

I saw that. If you want me to jump on anybody who doesn't react well just say the word. I've got your back.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Buddy

Quote from: jumbojak on July 25, 2019, 11:06:31 PM
I saw that. If you want me to jump on anybody who doesn't react well just say the word. I've got your back.

Haha thanks. Knowing my family, they won't say anything to me directly but they will gossip like there's no tomorrow. I only see them once a year so I don't care too much.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Buddy on July 25, 2019, 10:34:18 PM

Congratulations.   :clapping:  Let's hope the surprises from relatives are mostly good ones.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Good for you Buddy.  Your orientation, sexual or otherwise, is not the subject for adjudication by others. There may well be some pain in the interim but you are who you are and no one has any authority or right to judge you for the way you are put together.  You go girl.

hermes2015

Quote from: Buddy on July 25, 2019, 10:34:18 PM

Good for you! One feels so much more at peace after coming out, at least in my experience. Plus, the parades are fun.

This one was 4km from my home.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Buddy

This is why I love you guys  :hug:

Hermes- I actually went to my first pride event this year in Indianapolis. Had a fantastic time. I got this sticker for shits and gigs and as much as I want to display it proudly I know my car would get keyed so now I just have it sitting on a shelf where I admire it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Buddy on July 26, 2019, 05:17:09 AM
This is why I love you guys  :hug:

Hermes- I actually went to my first pride event this year in Indianapolis. Had a fantastic time. I got this sticker for shits and gigs and as much as I want to display it proudly I know my car would get keyed so now I just have it sitting on a shelf where I admire it.

I have been attending the Johannesburg Gay Pride parade for many years. I've never been to the The Cape Town festival, which is equally famous and huge. I've always had a rainbow flag sticker on my previous cars, but haven't got around to putting one on the new car. They are quite common here and there is no fear of vandalism. For some unknown reason attitudes here have been quite relaxed for many years, unlike the rest of the continent. I'm not overly patriotic, but I am very proud that we were one of the first countries to legalize same-sex unions.

This was another one very close to my apartment.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Buddy

Wow, looks like beautiful weather for a parade.

I'm currently awaiting a rainbow grill badge for my car. Thankfully where I am isn't too bad about being outright awful to the gays, but they get touchy when their Christianity gets challenged so the satanist sticker is a no go.

hermes2015

And then there is also this, so be prepared.

― Charles Eames