News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkocommie

Quote from: "philosoraptor"As of today, after 6+ months of being jobless, I am employed.

:yay:
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tank

Quote from: "philosoraptor"As of today, after 6+ months of being jobless, I am employed.
:yay:  :yay:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Black Jester

Let me add my congratulations!  Is it related to Philosophy?
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

philosoraptor

Thanks guys!

TBJ, it's not even remotely related.  But I'm hoping it'll give me some money to save while I look for academic positions.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Tank

Quote from: "philosoraptor"Thanks guys!

TBJ, it's not even remotely related.  But I'm hoping it'll give me some money to save while I look for academic positions.
Detecting reticence to reveal what said job is [speculate]Pole Dancer[/speculate]
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Black Jester

Quote from: "philosoraptor"TBJ, it's not even remotely related. But I'm hoping it'll give me some money to save while I look for academic positions.

Don't I know the need for cash, though...I trained as an actor (grad school as well) and my job is not anywhere near related either.  But I hope you get an academic position soon.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Gawen

That's most cheerful news!!! Even better if you enjoy what you're doing!
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Thumpalumpacus

Breathing is good, I'm easy to please.

Quote from: "Philosoraptor"As of today, after 6+ months of being jobless, I am employed.

Congrats, and good sailing.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Tank

Solving quadratic equations without having to look up how to in a book  :headbang:

Asmodean

Quote from: "Tank"Solving quadratic equations without having to look up how to in a book  :hmm: But then again... Engineers, we are supposed to be able to.

What was it... x1,2=(-b+-sqR(4ac))/2a..?

EDIT: Corrected syntax
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Tank"Solving quadratic equations without having to look up how to in a book  :hmm: But then again... Engineers, we are supposed to be able to.
I have never used a quadratic in my life for anything practical but there is a certain satisfaction in solving them, a little like a Suduko puzzle.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Tank"I have never used a quadratic in my life for anything practical but there is a certain satisfaction in solving them, a little like a Suduko puzzle.
We mostly do differential equasions, so quadratics are sort of low-end in my branch... Sort of common knowledge, one might say.  :sigh:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: "Tank"I have never used a quadratic in my life for anything practical but there is a certain satisfaction in solving them, a little like a Suduko puzzle.
We mostly do differential equations, so quadratics are sort of low-end in my branch... Sort of common knowledge, one might say.  :sigh:
Of course you work in the banking industry so you will actually get to use that sort of thing for modelling won't you?

wildfire_emissary

Yesterday, we sworn in the new president of our republic. The dark ages of my land ended.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

KDbeads

We mostly do differential equasions, so quadratics are sort of low-end in my branch... Sort of common knowledge, one might say.  :eek:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams