News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on December 12, 2018, 04:45:34 AM
You need a vacation. So do I but I feel like your chances for getting a break are better than mine.

No end of the year break? I'm going to take two weeks off starting December 22nd.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 12, 2018, 04:57:54 AM
You need a vacation. So do I but I feel like your chances for getting a break are better than mine.

No end of the year break? I'm going to take two weeks off starting December 22nd.

Breaking out the new game Coulsdon?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

I'll be working long hours straight through January. I think I need a new job more than I need a vacation.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: TankYouVeryMuch on December 12, 2018, 08:08:01 AM

Breaking out the new game Coulsdon?

Sorry, what? Is that an autocorrect gem?

Definitely going to unbox the new console. :smilenod:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on December 12, 2018, 02:46:41 PM

I'll be working long hours straight through January. I think I need a new job more than I need a vacation.

:o

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 12, 2018, 05:31:00 PM

There's sidework too. I've been taking it easy the last few weeks but there's a hydraulic cylinder I really, really need to get apart and order seals for. That sum bitch has progressed from leaking, to pissing, to squirting fluid out.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on December 12, 2018, 05:46:46 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 12, 2018, 05:31:00 PM

There's sidework too. I've been taking it easy the last few weeks but there's a hydraulic cylinder I really, really need to get apart and order seals for. That sum bitch has progressed from leaking, to pissing, to squirting fluid out.

Hydraulic cylinders have traumatised me for life. A couple of months ago one of those went straight from leaking to gushing water out and flooded my house while I was away.  :Gaah: Caused quite a bit of damage.

jumbojak

Just be thankful it was water and not hydraulic oil. That stuff is seriously nasty. I coat my hands in dish soap and then wear nitrile gloves. It'll dissolve any natural rubber and most plastics.

Out of curiosity though, where in your house was a hydraulic cylinder? I've never heard of a home with a hydraulic system.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on December 12, 2018, 06:00:48 PM
Just be thankful it was water and not hydraulic oil. That stuff is seriously nasty. I coat my hands in dish soap and then wear nitrile gloves. It'll dissolve any natural rubber and most plastics.

Out of curiosity though, where in your house was a hydraulic cylinder? I've never heard of a home with a hydraulic system.

Yikes! Yeah...I'll stick with water!

:notsure: There is a huge possibility it was not a hydraulic cylinder.  :P A pipe perhaps? It was a cylinder connected to the bathroom sink.

:blush: My ignorance is showing, isn't it?

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 12, 2018, 06:16:43 PM

:notsure: There is a huge possibility it was not a hydraulic cylinder.  :P A pipe perhaps? It was a cylinder connected to the bathroom sink.

No. Hydro is water so a cylinder of water is a hydrocylinder.

This is a hydraulic cylinder as used to push an pull things. Oil is used as it does not corrode the metal of the cylinder.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: TankYouVeryMuch on December 12, 2018, 06:52:06 PM

No. Hydro is water so a cylinder of water is a hydrocylinder.

This is a hydraulic cylinder as used to push an pull things. Oil is used as it does not corrode the metal of the cylinder.

Ah, ok. I was way off the mark then! ;D

Dark Lightning

Not to worry, the language barrier will always be there. What you had was a pipe or flexible tube connecting the supply pipe to sink faucet that leaked. The pipes are cylindrical, so that can be confusing.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 12, 2018, 09:52:45 PM

Not to worry, the language barrier will always be there. What you had was a pipe or flexible tube connecting the supply pipe to sink faucet that leaked. The pipes are cylindrical, so that can be confusing.

Yes. :P

Thanks. :boaterhat:

Icarus

From a purely technical point of view, a kitchen sink water pipe is a hydraulic cylinder. There is some action going on in that pipe such as dynamic loading as a result of water hammer. Some thermal action too.

In our general gear head parlance, a hydraulic cylinder is a device that converts fluid pressures to linear or rotary motions or forces. And then there are pneumatic (air) cylinders that do pretty much the same thing as hydraulics but not as ultimately powerful. 

I will respectfully decline the temptation to describe the behavior of a penis with explanations of human hydraulics. 

Dark Lightning