News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 28, 2014, 06:16:40 PM
I'm ignorant on North American weather, in which state do you live? Is that normal this time of the year?

For winter weather in the US, you need to draw a large "U" in the middle of it, representing the jet stream as it dips down this time of year.  The corners and bottom of the US (San Diego, CA, Rio Grande Valley, TX, and Miami, FL) are usually warmer because of their latitude and their proximity to water.  The upper coasts are colder, but the oceans have a moderating effect.  The coldest area is in the middle - the great plains.  Minnesota and North Dakota get bitterly cold, and the winds make it worse. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 28, 2014, 07:30:04 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 28, 2014, 06:16:40 PM
I'm ignorant on North American weather, in which state do you live? Is that normal this time of the year?

For winter weather in the US, you need to draw a large "U" in the middle of it, representing the jet stream as it dips down this time of year.  The corners and bottom of the US (San Diego, CA, Rio Grande Valley, TX, and Miami, FL) are usually warmer because of their latitude and their proximity to water.  The upper coasts are colder, but the oceans have a moderating effect.  The coldest area is in the middle - the great plains.  Minnesota and North Dakota get bitterly cold, and the winds make it worse. 

Thanks for the explanation. :)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

Quote from: jumbojak on December 28, 2014, 07:25:20 PM
Quote from: Crow on December 28, 2014, 06:28:57 PMLook everyone! New world people using outdated units of measurement, lets all point and laugh.

What's the speed limit in kph on you nearest highway? No cheating.....

We don't have highways we have motorways and the standard speed on all of them is 112km/h which is 70mp/h.
Retired member.

Sandra Craft

It's very bright and clear here in Long Beach, but cold.  OK, cold by our standards -- cold enough to close all the windows at night and wear a sweater during the day.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I wish it snowed around here. I would like to feel a little chilly. 

Harmonie

No, you really don't want to get me started talking about the weather. I'm sure anyone who has read my recent posts knows that well. lol

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Pasta Chick

It's cold again, and snowing, but I doubt it will add up to anything.

I'm trying to decide how to dress for freezing farm work followed by maybe biking. I guess I'll start with farm work and go from there.

Ecurb Noselrub

Guardian85

-5c and cloudy here.

And balls-deep snow on the ground.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 05, 2016, 05:38:39 AM
-5c and cloudy here.

And balls-deep snow on the ground.
Hey G-man, are we using Norwegian balls to measure the depth of the snow? I'm just trying to figure out how many millimeters that might be. ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Bluenose

Listen, all you UK type HAFers.  I want you to make sure you've got all this nasty looking snow stuff out of the way by the middle of May.  The Blue one does not do snow.  If I spy any white bits on the ground when I arrive I will personally come round to all your places and drink all your beer (or whiskey, depending on circumstance, or failing that your gin or your rum!*)  Actually, I might do that anyway!    ::) :P ;)  :grin:
* You can keep your Pimms No1  :puke:
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

^ how can you not do snow? :shocked:

Making a 4 m tall snowman is on my bucket list.

Pasta Chick

I can't say I'm much a builder of snowmen, but a bunch of my peers and I definitely built a snowpenis at least that tall on the school football field.

xSilverPhinx