Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.

Started by Tank, July 30, 2018, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I've been experiencing a strange phenomenon. Photos like this:

They look decent on my laptop when I'm editing but on any phone they look absolutely terrible. I don't know where to look to figure out how to fix the problem.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on June 18, 2019, 03:47:50 PM
I've been experiencing a strange phenomenon. Photos like this:

They look decent on my laptop when I'm editing but on any phone they look absolutely terrible. I don't know where to look to figure out how to fix the problem.

If the photos look wrong on all phones, then perhaps your laptop graphics display settings are out of kilter. There should be steps to fine tune the gamma, contrast, and colour rendering on your make of laptop's monitor you could try.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I'll check that out. This has been frustrating me for a while.

Any advice for portraiture? I'm setting up to take some portraits with a girl I used to work with on Thursday and want to get as much as I can out of the experience.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on June 18, 2019, 09:56:03 PM
I'll check that out. This has been frustrating me for a while.

Any advice for portraiture? I'm setting up to take some portraits with a girl I used to work with on Thursday and want to get as much as I can out of the experience.

Use a long lens, or zoom to the longest focal length you can get on your lens. If you use a short lens, like a 35mm or 50mm, the nose will be out of proportion and look too big on the face. A lens of 105mm to 200mm is best for portraits.

Focus on at least one eye. If the eyes are out of focus, the portrait looks weird.

On the other hand, if you do nude shots, a short focal length can give an interesting perspective.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Now I'm curious, how does focal length effect nose size?

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on June 19, 2019, 03:35:46 PM
Now I'm curious, how does focal length effect nose size?

Let's say you are using a 35mm lens. To fill the frame with the face, you will have to get up quite close to the head. Because the nose will be relatively speaking very close to the lens, compared to the eyes, it will look too big. With a longer lens, you can be further away from the head to fill the frame, so the ratio of the distance of the tip of the nose to the lens to the distance from the eyes to the lens, will be a smaller ratio. My words probably sound confusing, so the best is to try it for yourself with two focal lengths.

I am sure there must some good sites that explain it better than I can in words, so I will do a search and give you the links.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

jumbojak

That makes perfect sense Hermes. Your explanation was excellent, no googling needed! Nudes, however, are unlikely in the extreme. She calls me "her brother from an African mother."

Bad Penny II

I got a Canon Canon EOS 500D a while back with the 18-55 & 55-250 kit lenses.
I subsequently got a EF 50mm.
Recently I picked up a 550D with 2 sets of the 18-55 &55-250 kit lenses at a huge bargain.
Now I've got 3 sets of 18-55 & 55-250 kit lenses.
I don't plan on selling either camera.
I was going to sell one set of kit lenses, $100+$40.  US $70 + $28
I do use the 55-250 a fair bit, not the 18-55 some much lately.

Now I'm not sure if I should.  :chin:
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 11, 2019, 02:23:06 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 11, 2019, 12:41:23 PM
Duplicates? Yeah, I'd sell off the duplicates

I agree with that opinion.

And put the money towards either a longer telephoto or a very wide angle lens. Or a fish eye... Or a macro... Or a tripod... The possibilities are endless.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: jumbojak on July 11, 2019, 02:42:32 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 11, 2019, 02:23:06 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 11, 2019, 12:41:23 PM
Duplicates? Yeah, I'd sell off the duplicates

I agree with that opinion.

And put the money towards either a longer telephoto or a very wide angle lens. Or a fish eye... Or a macro... Or a tripod... The possibilities are endless.

Ye, I was thinking I'd get a Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 but will it really solve my problems, will it fill my need?
Macros are appealing, better than my tubes but they're pretty pricey.
And redundancy, how likely is it a lens will give up the ghost and I'll need a spare?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

I'd personally rather have a variety than a hoard of duplicates. If one dies on you then you will be out the cost of a replacement, this is true. But you might be able to justify a better piece of glass in the same focal range if and when that time comes if you have to find a replacement.

Think about it, if you wear out a lens - unlikely, I know - then that lens and its capabilities are important to the work you do. Hell, if you damage it at the beach because that's the lens you always have with you it comes out to the same thing. It gives the opportunity to upgrade the workhorses should something bad happen.