News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Aloha, Happy Atheists!

Started by Yodas_Apprentice, March 23, 2012, 10:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yodas_Apprentice

Hello to all of you here :)

Though I have just signed up, I've been hearing wonderful things about this site from my wife (DeterminedJuliet) for some time now.  From all appearances, your name aptly summarizes exactly what your community is - a Happy Atheist Forum!

A bit about myself:  I'm from St. John's, Newfoundland (Canada), but am currently living with my wife and our son in Ottawa while I'm doing my PhD in English.  I was born into a Catholic family, but was never able to reconcile the often contradictory nature of Christian dogma.  I officially started describing myself as an atheist when I was about 15 and I haven't looked back since.

I'm very open about my atheism with friends and family, and happily discuss why with anyone who's curious (though I actually get more people who ask me why I'm a vegetarian than why I'm an atheist).  I've been rather lucky in this respect as most, if not all, of the people in my life have been very accepting of my atheism, even if they do not understand or agree with my reasoning.

That's about it for now I guess :)  I'm sure you'll all find out more about me as I become more integrated/involved!
"I'm a madman with a box without a box!!" -Eleventh Doctor, "The Doctor's Wife"

DeterminedJuliet

Yay! You've joined our cult community!

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Where is me offerings?

You did tell him about the offerings, yes?

Where they?  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Yodas_Apprentice on March 23, 2012, 10:56:01 PM
Hello to all of you here :)

Though I have just signed up, I've been hearing wonderful things about this site from my wife (DeterminedJuliet) for some time now.  From all appearances, your name aptly summarizes exactly what your community is - a Happy Atheist Forum!

A bit about myself:  I'm from St. John's, Newfoundland (Canada), but am currently living with my wife and our son in Ottawa while I'm doing my PhD in English.  I was born into a Catholic family, but was never able to reconcile the often contradictory nature of Christian dogma.  I officially started describing myself as an atheist when I was about 15 and I haven't looked back since.

I'm very open about my atheism with friends and family, and happily discuss why with anyone who's curious (though I actually get more people who ask me why I'm a vegetarian than why I'm an atheist).  I've been rather lucky in this respect as most, if not all, of the people in my life have been very accepting of my atheism, even if they do not understand or agree with my reasoning.

That's about it for now I guess :)  I'm sure you'll all find out more about me as I become more integrated/involved assimilated!

Hi!

I won't give you the formal 'Hello' as DJ knows the rules  ;D

Welcome aboard

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Asmodean on March 23, 2012, 10:59:24 PM
Where is me offerings?

Where they?  ???

Err..
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Yodas_Apprentice, welcome!! It's great to meet you. Your wife is absolutely awesome, so I'm sure you are too.  ;D

I'm a fellow Ontarian who'll be visiting your fair city in a couple months.

Glad to have you on board! Yay! Love your username, by the way!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Yodas_Apprentice

Where is me offerings?

Where they?  ???

I offer you... friendship?  No wait, cookies!  Everyone loves a good cookie offering!

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Asmodean on March 23, 2012, 11:09:53 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 23, 2012, 11:02:14 PM
Err..
You FORGOT, didn't you!

I didn't really know how to go about explaining The Asmo's presence here, so I thought it'd be best if he formed his own opinions.  ;D

Amicale

Quote from: Yodas_Apprentice on March 23, 2012, 11:11:40 PM
Where is me offerings?

Where they?  ???

I offer you... friendship?  No wait, cookies!  Everyone loves a good cookie offering!

Yum!

There you go. Just needed the image tags. Those look delicious!!  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Buddy

Hello hello! We have heard much about you. ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Yodas_Apprentice

Quote from: Amicale on March 23, 2012, 11:13:47 PM
Yum!

There you go. Just needed the image tags. Those look delicious!!  ;D

You can thank DJ for that :)  She's the web savvy one in the family!  Also, thank you for the Yoda images - they made me smile :D

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 23, 2012, 11:20:46 PM
Hello hello! We have heard much about you. ;D

Don't believe any of it.  I'm actually mildly interesting ;)

Sandra Craft

Welcome!  Any husband of DJ's is a friend of ours.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Yodas_Apprentice

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 24, 2012, 12:00:05 AM
Welcome!  Any husband of DJ's is a friend of ours.

I'll let her other husbands know ;)