News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

New atheist here, short story

Started by yodachoda, December 11, 2011, 11:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: yodachoda on December 12, 2011, 12:02:57 AM
Here's an analogy. According to evolution, if we find a planet w/ no life, but similar conditions to Earth, we can plant a single bacteria there and ~3.8 billion years later we will find complex diverse life. All it would take is a human placing a bacteria on that planet, which is not a lot of work.

Ye but god is supposed to have made all the rocks and set them in motion and they only do things as he planned.  The erosion of a pebble on a moon an unimaginable distance away is in the plan.  On this scale putting Jupiter there to stop us being whacked, making the Sun the right colour are small scale.  If I'm going to believe this it seems a trifle to imagine god mixing some goo and letting it bubble away as he planned resulting in me.

Welcome 

Crocoduck

Quote from: yodachoda on December 11, 2011, 11:34:01 PM

I would argue that these people don't properly understand evolution, or haven't thought it over carefully.  Evolution isn't a mechanism that even needs any inventing or creating.  It just happens...

Hi yodachoda and welcome.

I wouldn't assume men like Francis Collins or John Lennox didn't "properly understand evolution". They've simply reconciled it with their faith.

I would enjoy talking further but as Whitney said this is not the place for it.

Get to making a few more posts so we can chat more.
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Stevil

Quote from: yodachoda on December 11, 2011, 11:21:32 PM
Would you all agree that it's near impossible to NOT be an atheist after you accept evolution and learn how it really works?  Why exactly did you turn to atheism?  If it wasn't for evolution, I'd certainly be a theist today. 
I would say it seems inconsistent to believe in a god theory without any proof whatsoever and yet to deny ghosts, fairies, locness, alien abductions, hobbits, gremlins, big foot, all the other gods ever dreamed up...

Matthaios

Well, I'm a theist accept evolution, so here I am, a living contradiction. :D Happy to answer questions about that after you reach 10 posts.
Matthaios