News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Fairly new Atheist here...

Started by zeroday, August 06, 2012, 04:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: zeroday on August 07, 2012, 12:22:33 AM
Yea I learned pretty quick beer and forum arguments do not end well...I think my anger ended when I realized I was trying to do what I hated about theists...trying to preach and convert...I realized change comes from within and not outside sources...as far as hating god I realized it wasn't god I hated but the god industry and decided to live and let live. I am more than happy to discuss with believers but they soon back themselves into and fall back on "faith" pretty hard to argue...
I try not to convert, but if somebody is in doubt I always make sure to have a little free thinking session.  I have never met a smart person in doubt who could honestly say at the end of the conversation that the bible wasn't mostly bullshit. It's hard to convert someone who doesn't already doubt anyway.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

markmcdaniel

Welcome. Your story sounds interesting.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: zeroday on August 07, 2012, 12:22:33 AM
I am more than happy to discuss with believers but they soon back themselves into and fall back on "faith" pretty hard to argue...

Problem is when they fall back on faith to try and convince as well...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

Welcome aboard. I'm more the "annoyed atheist" at this point, and this board helps keep me sane. Mostly. Glad to have you.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Amicale

Zeroday, welcome to HAF. I hope you enjoy it here, and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you about your experiences and what your life's like now. :) Glad to meet you, I'm looking forward to seeing you around the forums!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

zeroday

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I'm pretty active on the exJW scene around the Internet. We try hard to undo some of the harm we might have done. Information is a powerful weapon one thing cults fear the most. H
re's a quite in one of their publications:

"Does 'the faithful and discreet slave' [Watchtower organization] endorse independent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate?—Matt. 24:45, 47. No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the New World Translation. ...They have also held conferences and produced publications to present their findings and to supplement what is provided at our Christian meetings and through our literature. ...Thus, 'the faithful and discreet slave' does not endorse any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight... For those who wish to do extra Bible study and research, we recommend that they explore Insight on the Scriptures, 'All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial,' and our other publications...."—Kingdom Ministry, September 2007, p. 3

xSilverPhinx

It begs the question:why do they have so much to hide, and why can't their beliefs stand on their own two feet without the need to omit and contradicting information?

Do many people question this while still in the faith?

zeroday

No one questions anything and believe me they have plenty to hide.

zeroday

It was always easy to guard against apostates before the Internet they could see where they were coming from now with the Internet anyone can do research behind closed doors this is their number one threat now...

zeroday

You'll have to excuse some of my typos when I post I'm a truck driver on the road all week and I post using my iPad 3. I just got it although I love it it takes some getting use to not using a mouse... There 10 posts...LOL

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

zeroday

Lol kills the time when I'm sitting in this truck waiting to get loaded...

xSilverPhinx

iPad3? My world hasn't caught up to that yet. :D

zeroday

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 07, 2012, 08:51:02 PM
iPad3? My world hasn't caught up to that yet. :D

This thing is great I love it...

hismikeness

Quote from: zeroday on August 07, 2012, 07:55:27 PM
You'll have to excuse some of my typos when I post I'm a truck driver on the road all week and I post using my iPad 3. I just got it although I love it it takes some getting use to not using a mouse... There 10 posts...LOL

Have you tried the dictation feature? There should be a little microphone logo on the keyboard to the left of the space bar which will beep and then you can talk to it and it types for you. It is surprisingly accurate. You do, though, have to speak your punctuation.

Hello comma how are you question mark and the like.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite