Main Menu

A friend in need . . .

Started by Dave, August 03, 2017, 08:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on August 05, 2017, 04:47:00 AM
Is she holding a small alien?
I think that's a child, and I think that quote comes from here:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

Quote from: Gloucester on August 03, 2017, 08:03:39 PM
''Well, if it does not clash with my art club or the Womans' Institute meeting, you know how busy I am . . .'' she is also a bit of an author and I have come to her rescue, at very short notice, several times to teach her how to do something or fix routine computer problems etc.
I don't mean to judge someone else's friends here, but that one do sound like she be a cunt.

Personally, I would forsake any of my clubbing or institute meetings to assist even a close acquaintance, not to mention a friend, and I'm like the asshole here. A loyal asshole, but still a putrid one.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Essie Mae

Whenever it's my friend's husband's turn to pick us up from the station he always stipulates a time window to be avoided because he's having his dinnner. He's not diabetic or anything, so he could have it any time. I moan about Mr M sometimes, but he's not that prescriptive and he he has given lifts even to people he doesn't know v well at inconvenient times.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on August 05, 2017, 02:01:23 PM
Whenever it's my friend's husband's turn to pick us up from the station he always stipulates a time window to be avoided because he's having his dinnner. He's not diabetic or anything, so he could have it any time. I moan about Mr M sometimes, but he's not that prescriptive and he he has given lifts even to people he doesn't know v well at inconvenient times.

It's just that ol' control thing, ennit?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Quote from: Essie Mae on August 05, 2017, 02:01:23 PM

STOP it! You're making an Asmo feel all good and virtuous and needing to scrub Himself with bleach immediately!  >:(

(Actually, when it comes to freight missions, I'm just very easy-going. Drove a guy I've never met before for 260 kilometers once just for the thanks because someone I had an occasional coffee with asked me and... Because I could. Ask me to babysit, and the story may well be different. Hashtag dingoatethebaby)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Essie Mae

Of course we all knew Your Grumpiness that you are good and virtuous. Just go easy on the bleach.

Gloucester, you so hit the nail on the head. How did you know he's a control freak? (My friend's husband, not mine).
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Asmodean

My take, it sounds like he falls within the type; "I have dinner between four and six. My dinner, my schedule, my game."

For ordinary people... It's just one fucking meal, and you can do things with it like have it earlier or later.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on August 05, 2017, 02:43:32 PM
Of course we all knew Your Grumpiness that you are good and virtuous. Just go easy on the bleach.

Gloucester, you so hit the nail on the head. How did you know he's a control freak? (My friend's husband, not mine).

Seen the symptoms all too often: unnecessary waits for interviews about pay raise or promotion, heard people say on the phone, "Busy at the moment, get back to you soonest," then go back to reading their paper...

I once worked a surprise Saturday-Sunday, got called in, to make something that was urgent for Monday. No it wasn't, it was needed for an exhibition in six weeks time but it came from four management layers up and each one had to add his bit of "control" on it as it travelled down to the place where ther real work is actually done.

This is part of the reason I enjoy retirement so much!  :grin:

Firebird

The older you get, the harder it is to make friends. I noticed this after I was out of college, and it's gotten harder as the years have gone by. And this was before we became parents.    It takes a lot more effort to put yourself out there, find people with similar interests and whose personalities mesh with yours. The jump from "casual acquaintance" to "friend" is particularly tricky. You can point to a lot of reasons why, but I think this is one reason religion persists, because it gives you that automatic sense of community. Powerful thing that is.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Arturo

Quote from: Firebird on August 05, 2017, 04:52:08 PM
The older you get, the harder it is to make friends. I noticed this after I was out of college, and it's gotten harder as the years have gone by. And this was before we became parents.    It takes a lot more effort to put yourself out there, find people with similar interests and whose personalities mesh with yours. The jump from "casual acquaintance" to "friend" is particularly tricky. You can point to a lot of reasons why, but I think this is one reason religion persists, because it gives you that automatic sense of community. Powerful thing that is.

And now we have HAF

PRAISE BE TO THE WEB DEVELOPER(S)
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Firebird on August 05, 2017, 04:52:08 PM

I agree, I agree.

Religion has both sides in sone ways though, I have seen religious groups that are tightly knit, sometimes to the benefit of local society, sonetimes very inward looking or doing you a "good deed" if you will only see the light. I have also seen churches where the bitching and conpetition would probably have had JC flinging his arms in the air and storming off, muttering, to be an anchorite.

There is a movement in this country, at least, to develop a sort of atheist "church", places where they can congregate, sing songs, listen to inspiring people etc   :puke: Oops, sorry 'bout that!

But, as you say, Firebird, as one matures over the median making contact becomes harder. Over fifty most sociable people are married and singles are "spares". 60+ and partners start dying, widowers miss having a partner and look for companionship at least. Widows, in my experience, are not so quick to find a make male friends, either because they do really miss their partner/feel guilty or because they fear every bloke just wants to get into their knickers. Or their will.

My friendship with Mike and Jane was unusual I think. I designed an advert for the village mag for them, but found we had a wide range of interests in common. As Mike became more infirm I was the one trusted to "help" him do the tasks he could no longer manage. I became Mike's best friend by his admission. After about 16 years of this Mike died and I just sort of carried on the same relationship with Jane; confidant, handyman, lunch-buddy, mouse and spider remover, supporter in general. That Jane is a very intelligent, strong willed and practical person made it even better.

Icarus

This thread has been quiet for a couple weeks. It is perhaps one of the most salient of subjects.  The question remains: Are we to be our brothers keeper?  I think,yes we are, if we are to prosper on this earth.

Muti subject reply...........

Glous, if you lived in my town you would have many friends, and friends who do not yet know you, who would drop their club attendance in favor of the needs of an acquaintance. I do not live in Utopia by any means, but I do live in a place where there is honest compassion and care for our neighbors. I do not understand that there are good people who can not find it in their hearts to be inconvenienced by the need or comfort  of others.  I do not, will not, think that the Brit community is anything other than equally compassionate.

Mags: I have long been an admirer of your particularly noticeable faculty for posting erudite commentary and appropriate quotations from our literati. Thank you. I am proud to have you as a virtual companion even though we sometimes butt heads. I believe that we butt heads because of a misinterpretation of the written word more than a difference in philosophies.

Asmo, mysterious Luxembourg destroyer, I suspect that you are a much more congenial lump than you pretend.  Do not change your HAF personna, we like it the way it is.

Arturo

I don't know. It still looks like a small alien to me
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on August 20, 2017, 01:37:59 AM

What are you scaling him against, Asmo could be a very big alien - just a small picture of him.

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on August 20, 2017, 05:09:02 AM
Quote from: Arturo on August 20, 2017, 01:37:59 AM

What are you scaling him against, Asmo could be a very big alien - just a small picture of him.

I'm fairly average in height but amove average in other areas. Some call me an alien and the gray lump on my butt is still very small despite being of Asmo's....class.
     Arturo The1  リ壱