News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

Last week they told us that the paperwork for our house-move was finally done and all we had to do was fix a date.  They now tell me that's not so.  The final issue was my buyer's mortgage, and that was formally agreed last week, and the mortgage company e-mailed confirmation to her lawyer.  However we now find that an e-mail is not enough, and that he won't proceed until he's had the offer on paper.  So we're all hoping the damn thing arrives on Monday.  Extremely annoying.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: OldGit on January 16, 2016, 09:47:30 AM
Last week they told us that the paperwork for our house-move was finally done and all we had to do was fix a date.  They now tell me that's not so.  The final issue was my buyer's mortgage, and that was formally agreed last week, and the mortgage company e-mailed confirmation to her lawyer.  However we now find that an e-mail is not enough, and that he won't proceed until he's had the offer on paper.  So we're all hoping the damn thing arrives on Monday.  Extremely annoying.

Sorry for your troubles OlderGit. I Curse those damn lawyers! ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

We do not curse our resident lawyer Bruce. He's our guy. All the rest of 'em, yes curse them.

OldGit

Bruce wouldn't bugger people about like this bloke.

Essie Mae

Good luck for tomorrow OG. Hope it arrives!
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

jumbojak

The weatherman called for clear skies with some rain in the morning. I woke up to a blanket of snow with more falling by the minute. SNOW!  >:(

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

Quote from: OldGit on January 16, 2016, 09:47:30 AM
I've been following your story, sounds very frustrating.  :therethere:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Guardian85

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 14, 2016, 12:37:07 PM
So despite new battery and all the loving care I can provide my car remains a dead popsicle.
Finally gave in and had it towed to a shop. They are going to put it inside over the weekend to thaw out and have a look at it on Monday. Just hope it won't be an expensive fix
So that hope was in vain. Blown starter. There goes all my money...  >:(

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Icarus on January 17, 2016, 03:05:48 AM
We do not curse our resident lawyer Bruce. He's our guy. All the rest of 'em, yes curse them.

To be clear my curse was directed only at lawyers who are not on retainer here at HAF! ;D

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 18, 2016, 12:35:52 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on January 14, 2016, 12:37:07 PM
So despite new battery and all the loving care I can provide my car remains a dead popsicle.
Finally gave in and had it towed to a shop. They are going to put it inside over the weekend to thaw out and have a look at it on Monday. Just hope it won't be an expensive fix
So that hope was in vain. Blown starter. There goes all my money...  >:(

Bummer GMan, sorry to hear that.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

OldGit

G85, what's a new starter cost?  And can you save some money by fitting it yourself?  They're often a relatively simple job.

Asmodean Prime

I would say "get a proper Opel", but one has to be a little lucky with those too - or know what to look for when buying.

In any case, have you checked scrapyards? They often have parts like starters for cheaper than new and... Well, let's face it, it probably doesn't have to work for another fifteen-or-so years.

Guardian85

The shop has sourced a second-hand part from Sweden. Will get here Thursday.
As for fitting it myself, I don't think so. I am not disassembling the front of my van outside, in between -15c to -25c temperatures. Maybe if it had blown in summer.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Pasta Chick

There's a raccoon dying next to my shed and the town animal control doesn't give a shit because it hasn't bit anyone.

Which makes me both sad - I fucking love raccoons, they're nature's adorable assholes - and angry, because we're really gonna let a diseased raccoon wander around a neighborhood since it hasn't bitten anyone yet? And he's almost certainly going to be dead next to my barn tomorrow, so now how, exactly, am I supposed to deal with a diseased dead raccoon rotting next to my barn?

Apparently when I'm both sad and angry they mesh into grumpy.

jumbojak

Pick it up by the tail and toss it into the woods as far as you can. Poke it with a stick first, so you can be sure it won't spring to life and rip your face off. Coons have viscous claws.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Pasta Chick

We only have a half acre... No real woods, and nowhere far enough away that we won't smell it decomposing. I just don't want to end up rabies contaminated again. Been down that road. No fun.