News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

It sounds like y'all are on a US style grid. 60Hz AC at 120v per hot leg. A simple adapter should work.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on January 14, 2019, 02:10:51 AM
It sounds like y'all are on a US style grid. 60Hz AC at 120v per hot leg. A simple adapter should work.

:thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on January 14, 2019, 02:10:51 AM

A hot leg sounds good, at whatever frequency.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Buddy

About to book a one week vacation in Boston.  :dance:
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on January 14, 2019, 07:39:34 PM
Quote from: Buddy on January 14, 2019, 07:00:06 PM
About to book a one week vacation in Boston.  :dance:
Lovely place.

With all the traveling around the east coast I've done, I've never been to Boston. I'm excited for all the awesome looking museums, My mom just got back and she said the restaurants were fantastic.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dark Lightning

It's raining cats and dogs here, but I got impatient and sprayed shellac on the interior sides of the tool chest I'm building. It didn't blush (turn cloudy) as sometimes happen in high humidity. I guess it's cold enough that the humidity is still low. So, I'm happy for that. A little more spray work and it'll be time to glue up the carcass.  ;D

jumbojak

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 15, 2019, 12:09:22 AM
It's raining cats and dogs here, but I got impatient and sprayed shellac on the interior sides of the tool chest I'm building. It didn't blush (turn cloudy) as sometimes happen in high humidity. I guess it's cold enough that the humidity is still low. So, I'm happy for that. A little more spray work and it'll be time to glue up the carcass.  ;D

Will this be a Gerstner style chest or a simpler box?

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

Quote from: jumbojak on January 15, 2019, 12:55:23 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 15, 2019, 12:09:22 AM

Will this be a Gerstner style chest or a simpler box?

The chest I am replacing is a Gerstner- style chest. I even bought knobs, latches and corner protecters from Gerstner to make this chest really nice. It has gotten so beat up in transport that I just can't stand the damage, given what I spent. End result, it will be far simpler in the sense that I didn't spend over $300 just for the hardware, coupled with a like expense on the quarter-swan white oak. As of now, it will be about 1/10th the price for birch plywood and not using the Gerstner hardware. I like to make stuff as nice looking as I can, but transporting a chest around for those tools just isn't in the cards for "nice".

hermes2015

Gerstner chests are almost too nice to use for tools.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 15, 2019, 03:47:07 AM

At least in an actual working shop. I talked to a guy who worked in a big machine and fabrication facility. One of the older machinists had a very nice Gerstner chest that was his pride and joy until someone running a forklift hooked it. Smashed it to kindling, as the story goes.

They do have their advantages though. In humid environments they are less likely to sweat and cause rust issues. I've known people to rig a 100 watt light bulb in a bottom drawer of Kennedy chests to keep the condensation down. It works, to an extent.

I've also had people swear up and down that silica gell will remove moisture from a drawer. The fact that a drawer isn't sealed from the atmosphere isn't something they can understand.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 15, 2019, 03:47:07 AM

Indeed. A lot of people use them for jewelry and watches. Now Gerstner even makes a box to tote liquor and cigars around.  :???: What's wrong with my brown paper bag?  ;D

Here's a pic of the current chest, before it got beat up.

Tank

tl;dr I just got £6,000  :D

In the UK the banks have been mis-selling a variety of add-on account insurances (PPI) for decades. You can claim these monies back from the banks and with compensation. The government is closing the book on these in about a year. There are a bunch of legal companies that will make the claims for you at 20% of what they get. It's not the sort of thing my wife or I have the time or inclination to do. So we appointed one and gave them the details and off they went. So they got £7,200 they get £1,200 and I get £6,000. Not a bad exchange when I wasn't really expecting to get anything.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on January 26, 2019, 08:20:34 AM
tl;dr I just got £6,000  :D

In the UK the banks have been mis-selling a variety of add-on account insurances (PPI) for decades. You can claim these monies back from the banks and with compensation. The government is closing the book on these in about a year. There are a bunch of legal companies that will make the claims for you at 20% of what they get. It's not the sort of thing my wife or I have the time or inclination to do. So we appointed one and gave them the details and off they went. So they got £7,200 they get £1,200 and I get £6,000. Not a bad exchange when I wasn't really expecting to get anything.

We've recently had a royal commission into the doings of the financial sector.
Banks are taking a bit of a hit but you can't really escape banks.
Some Insurance/Super/retirement funds are taking a major hit, profit warnings.
Their business model has been on display, people are going elsewhere. 

Oh ye, I'll have a stout thanks.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Brain Awareness Week (http://www.dana.org/BAW/) is just around the corner! It's a global outreach program that aims to bring neuroscience topics to the general public, with a number of public lectures, movie commentaries, debates, and practical activities.

I've asked my advisor if I can participate and he gave me the contact for the professor who's responsible for organising the event in my city. I would very much like to be a backstage actor, helping to organise and such, but my advisor suggested I give a small presentation on the topic of 'systems consolidation',  which is what I study. 'Consider it exposure therapy', he said. :devil:

(Exposure therapy is when you face your fears for and 'learn' that it isn't as bad as you thought it was -- even though it has its problems, it's commonly used to treat phobias.)

:panic:

Many of you know how I feel about public speaking, it scares the shit out of me but I'm still looking forward to participating.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey