News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

"I Don't Really Dislike Them, But They're Just Not Like US"

Started by Recusant, July 05, 2018, 10:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

It appears that two different parts of the brain are active when a person considers people they don't like, vs. considering people they believe to be essentially other  (:secrets1: not really people, you know).

"In the brain, dislike and dehumanization are not the same thing" | ScienceDaily

QuoteIt has long been thought that when people characterized others as less-than-human, it was an expression of extreme dislike. New research shows that in fact judgements about dislike and dehumanization of people occur in separate brain regions, suggesting they are different psychological processes. This has implications for how we understand the migrant detention crisis in America as well as intergroup conflict around the world.

During the past week, the news has brought us difficult images and sounds: Migrant and refugee children huddled in steel cages. Children and parents wailing as they are torn apart by American agents. Detention buses filled with infant car seats.

The majority of Americans oppose the policy of separating families at the border, but a substantial percentage have no problem with it. "How is that possible?" many wonder. "These are human beings."

Researchers who study dehumanization, however, know that not all people see it that way. It is very common for people around the world to look at entire groups of people -- for example, Muslims, Native populations, Roma, Africans, or Mexican immigrants -- as not fully human.

Conventional wisdom has long assumed that talking about people in dehumanizing terms, as "dogs" or "pigs" or "pests," was simply an extreme expression of dislike for them. But according to new research published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology, dehumanization and dislike are processed by two completely separate regions of the brain, which suggests that they may be two different psychological processes.

[Continues . . .]

At another source:

QuoteThe authors of the new study also reported that many people did not hesitate to admit that they found a certain group to not be fully human or evolved.

One of the reasons he studied dehumanization was due to his interest in "intervening to reduce intergroup hostility," Bruneau stated. While he found the psychological difference between dehumanization and dislike to be academically interesting, he hoped to see the research put to practical use for the development of interventions.

Abstract from the paper:

QuoteRecent behavioral work demonstrates that many people view low-status groups as less "evolved and civilized" than high-status groups. Are these people using blatant expressions of dehumanization simply to express strong dislike toward other groups? Or is blatant dehumanization a process distinct from other negative assessments? We tested these competing hypotheses using functional neuroimaging. Participants judged 10 groups (e.g., Europeans, Muslims, rats) on four scales: blatant dehumanization, dislike, dissimilarity and perceived within-group homogeneity. Consistent with expectations, neural responses when making ratings of dehumanization diverged from those when judging the same targets on the other related dimensions. Specifically, we found regions in the left inferior parietal cortex (IPC) and left inferior frontal cortex (IFC) that were selectively parametrically modulated by dehumanization ratings. The pattern of responses in the left IFC was also consistent with animalistic dehumanization: high responses to low-status human groups and animals, and lower responses to high-status human groups. By contrast, a region in the posterior cingulate cortex was parametrically sensitive specifically to liking. We therefore demonstrate a double dissociation between brain activity associated with judgments of blatant dehumanization and judgments of dislike.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

Dave

Thanks for that,  Recusant. I think few of us do not have some sort of prejudice, however minor, lurking in the backs of our minds. Mine seems to ve cultural rather than anything else, especially the "culture" of extreme violence that pervades several parts if the world.

But, less than human? No, humans spread over a very wide, yet mixed, spectrum in all aspects; colour, size, attitude, culture. But, deep in my mibd it is that latter that is the dark corner. Cultures evolve to suit their environment - life in a arid areas be hard and brutal with minimal overall authority or resources - is it possible that even modern urban centres in such areas still suffer the historical values of millennia? Religion, with its own self-survival values, does not help - yet in some instances even that evolves pragmatically, the European and American Anglican communities perhaps being examples of that. The RCC will, hopefully, smell the coffee one day.

Still cogitating on what goes on in Mexico.

Many historical pogroms, especially those against the Jews, have been more commercial in nature than anything, from the mass evictions (some, reputably with  "maximum prejudice") from English territories (13thC >) - to Hitler and his mob - almost certainly all with " they are less than human" claims in most cases.

(Side issue: the early church was anti-Semitic because it was the Jews that killed Jesus . . . Er, the whole religion is based on the crucifixion and resurrection, without those Christianity would probably be a very minor Middle-Eastern sect.)

I don't like the fat, noisy, inconsiderate bloke across the road - but that is certainly a different bundle of prejudices. The fat, quiet (except when England are playing) and considerate bloke next door is a good guy.

I am guity of being a "culturalist" in terms of respect, or lack thereof, for others - noisy, inconsiderate and (unecessarily) violent people should be rounded up and put on an island all of their own!

:grin: )
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

No one

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one on July 05, 2018, 03:27:50 PM
What planet do you live on?

The mostly blue one.

Quote from: No one on July 05, 2018, 11:14:41 AM
All humans suck, equally.

I'm quaintly peculiar.
You're maladaptive.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

I admit to having a long-term prejudice (formed in my childhood while in the control of the Catholic church) against religious people, but I'm not sure whether the "dislike" or the "dehumanizing" part of my brain is involved. It feels like dislike, but I may be fooling myself.  :???:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

— H. L. Mencken

No one

I am honestly confused to how anyone can look around at the human species and think there is any good to them.

Dave

Quote from: No one on July 05, 2018, 07:43:29 PM
I am honestly confused to how anyone can look around at the human species and think there is any good to them.

Hmm, perceptions of individuals and humans as a race? Could be a bit of a dichotomy there. There are Americans I like as individuals, as a nation, well . . .

I have Muslim aquaitances that I like and have respect for what they do. But Islam as a faith? Meh!

xSilverPhinx

That's very interesting! Thanks, Recusant.  8)

I think I dehumanise people who intentionally inflict harm on others, such as robbers (scum of society). I loathe them as well, so probably all three regions of my brain would light up like a Christmas tree when I think of them! 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on July 05, 2018, 07:43:29 PM

I think the overgeneralisation isn't a good thing. Like BPII said, it's maladaptive. 

Like when I moved south and had to interact with a few rotten people, I started to hate all southerners, all of them were vermin to me, but that outlook kept me from seeing that there are some really good people in the middle of the human cesspool. I have since changed my view on Brazilian southerners.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 05, 2018, 09:13:03 PM

I think I dehumanise people who intentionally inflict harm on others, such as robbers (scum of society). I loathe them as well, so probably all three regions of my brain would light up like a Christmas tree when I think of them!

Re-written after re-reading!

Yes, if that person is sane and is stealing only for personal gain, for greed, I might join in.

But, as you said, generalisation is not good, be 100% sure of the robber's background and motives first.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on July 05, 2018, 09:19:51 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 05, 2018, 09:13:03 PM

Supposing, after zapping that robber off the face of the Earth, you then discovered that they were mentally ill and close to starving and had only stolen as a last ditch survival ploy? They might gave been breaking a life taboo that had been violently beaten into them as a child.

Now, if they turned out to be a be a violent career criminal I might say, "After you with the zapper, please."

In that case I wouldn't wish the death penalty on them, but they should still be locked up, IMO. If mentally ill then in the appropriate place. If drug addicts, they should be put away somewhere as well, to receive the appropriate treatment. Of all the times I was mugged, the robbers did not look like they were starving, they looked like normal lower-class people.

I was never mugged by a person who was clearly starving, such as a homeless person.

I think white-collar crime should also be treated in the same way as petty crime. Lock all the corrupt politicians up, to keep them from stealing millions and harming Brazil as a whole.

No one

Individual persons are tolerable. People as a whole, are vile, despicable, abhorrent creatures.