News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Hello folks

Started by drfreemlizard, June 12, 2018, 12:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drfreemlizard

Hi, I'm Drfreemlizard. Dfl is fine, I know that name is a mouthful (keyboard - full?).

I am a practicing Christian and look forward to many interesting discussions with you all.

My interests include woodworking, reading, some very amateur blacksmithing, and fishing.

Cheers!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Tank

Hi Dfl

If you keep off the preaching a bit you Dave, JJ and Icarus share a lot of interest in tools and making things.

If you want to discuss Religion then please stick to the assigned area of the forum.

Thanks

Welcome to HAF

Regards
Chris

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Quote from: drfreemlizard on June 12, 2018, 12:26:17 PM
Hi, I'm Drfreemlizard. Dfl is fine, I know that name is a mouthful (keyboard - full?).

I am a practicing Christian and look forward to many interesting discussions with you all.

My interests include woodworking, reading, some very amateur blacksmithing, and fishing.

Cheers!

Cool! Woodworking, check, reading, check, blacksmithing, unfortunately a mere dream as yet, and fishing, on rare occasions, and not for several years. Our interest coincide fairly well. The fact that you're using Tapatalk has reminded me I need to update the Tapatalk mod on this site.* Welcome to HAF, drfreemlizard:)

* I've done so now. You should notice no difference in its function--this was an update to comply with new European laws/regulations. If you're having any problems while using Tapatalk to gain access to this site, please let me know.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dragonia

Welcome Dfl,  maybe we will have some interesting discussions!
8)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Greetings, Dfl,  seems like we do gave a thing or two in common. Unfortunately my health (or lack thereof) limuts my ohydical work tgese days (andvtge weather often limits how long I can stand the heat/cold in my attic workshop!). So I am a tad more sedentary and like to think about things. My father was a full time blacksmith at a coach builders. Worked 95% on bespoke truck fittings but was a dab-hand at fitting a steel rim on a wooden wheel or making new springs or other fittings for horse drawn coaches - including some royal ones. Also made stock horseshoes for farriers. Did a bit of hot metal bashing at school and still find it a subject of deep fascination. Especially when involving a particular young lady artist-blacksmith whose name I have lost!

You have made no comnent on your feelings regarding Humanism so far - have you dismissed it or just not got round to it. For me it supplies a focus for my attitude in interacting with others and the world that is based on things that I feel to be rational, observable, "sensible" and measurable. Willing to open a good mannered debate on this if you are willing.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

drfreemlizard

I am certainly interested. My first inclination is to post that topic in Philosophy. Would that be acceptable? It may take some time for me to get to it as I am at work and  cell signal is very poor here. And once I get home I currently have family visiting from out of state. So just forewarning, I will likely be slow in posting for the next day or two.

Tank

Quote from: drfreemlizard on June 12, 2018, 02:38:31 PM
I am certainly interested. My first inclination is to post that topic in Philosophy. Would that be acceptable? It may take some time for me to get to it as I am at work and  cell signal is very poor here. And once I get home I currently have family visiting from out of state. So just forewarning, I will likely be slow in posting for the next day or two.

May I suggest you stick to more trivial stuff until we get to know you and you get to know us? If there is a subject more likely to start a flame war than religion it's philosophy! And don't stress about being here or not just chill and enjoy. We prefer Happy to Stressed.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Bluenose

Hi Dfl, a fellow fisherman!  Welcome!  What sort of fishing takes your fancy?  My favourite is inland fishing for Australian natives such as Murray cod and Australian bass.  Nothing better than to pass away a few hours tied up to the banks of the Murray River waiting for that sudden hit from a hungry cod, or casting surface lures at the favourite lie of some big a bruiser of a bass.  Great fun!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

drfreemlizard

I pretty much enjoy any kind of fishing I've ever tried. Except with a baitcaster. I said elsewhere that I don't assume things I can't figure out are supernatural, but I might make an exception for those. Pretty sure they are from Hell.

Dragonia

It's good to know other people feel the same as I do about bait casters. I grew up in Alaska fishing, I KNOW how to fish. But I never could get the hang of that stupid thing. My line would get tangled EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
I tried different pressures on the line, different weights, all kinds of stuff. You are right, they are straight from the twisted mind of Satan himself.

Tank

What is a bait caster? Is the name a giveaway?

drfreemlizard

How to explain a bait caster.. Ever had a puppy that wanted desperately to help you with whatever is was you were doing, but you ended up spending most of your time getting it out of scrapes? It's a similar experience.

Imagine a reel that wants to to helpfully projectile vomit line as you make your cast, but it sends out line far faster than your lure/bait is moving and therefore you end up with a wad of line in the reel that resembles the nest of some demented bird.

That sound about right, Dragonia?

Dragonia

Dave

Akways thought a "baitcaster" was that catapult/slingshot with a larger cup for the load.

What about the baskets that let maggots escape slowly under the water?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

drfreemlizard

Quote from: Dave on June 14, 2018, 02:18:47 AM
Akways thought a "baitcaster" was that catapult/slingshot with a larger cup for the load.

What about the baskets that let maggots escape slowly under the water?
Not familiar with those.