News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Judaism?

Started by SisterAgatha, September 25, 2017, 08:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SisterAgatha

Hey everybody!

I notice you guys (and a lot of atheists) tend to dislike or at least ponder Christianity and to a lesser extent Islam.

What are your opinions on Judaism?

I hate to say it but I honestly know very little about Judaism. I know it's the religion in the Old Testament (or Hebrew Scriptures!), and that Jesus Christ is Jewish. They have some dietary laws, but not all Jews really believe the same thing.

Im just embarrassed because part of the school curriculum is comparative religions and of course tolerance of other people, the importance of not hating people just for what they believe.

We are currently studying the Holocaust and the kids in my class are reading a book called "number the stars"https://www.amazon.com/Number-Stars-Lois-Lowry/dp/0547577095

We also will be going on a field trip to a synagogue this Friday. It will be a learning experience for me as well as the kids, but I honestly would like a bit more background on Judaism.

I of course will not rely solely on you fine people for assistance in this, but I would definitely appreciate any insight you might have.

Thank you and many blessings!

Magdalena

Quote from: SisterAgatha on September 25, 2017, 08:43:08 PM
I hate to say it but I honestly know very little about Judaism...

Just like you, Sister, I hate to say it, but I honestly know very little about the meaning of the word, "blessing!"
...and honestly I would like to keep it that way.

One more thing, Sister...How come you post and post but don't continue the conversations you have started with those who have responded?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Well, Sister, from my point of view the variety of theism matters not-a-lot. In one system that relies on a supernatural entity, or entities, suffers the same problems. There is no way to determine cause, either for the good things thst happen nor the bad. To the believer if good happens it must be the god's love that caused it: if evil occurs that must be entirely due to naughty people, directly or indirectly. So the god cannot lose, the sole victim of a disaster can thank the god for saving them and consider that the dead have bern taken into its tender care for ever.

Not a rational frame of reference, entirely subjective.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on September 25, 2017, 09:18:52 PM

Just like you, Sister, I hate to say it, but I honestly know very little about the meaning of the word, "blessing!"

One more thing, Sister...How come you post and post but don't continue the conversations you have started with those who have responded?

And, please pardon my scepticism, Sister, but since you joined us a certain member has been, er, missing. Perhaps he is on holiday or something and is being rather careful just how he uses the Internet connection at his location. After all, each "location" has a unique identity.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on September 25, 2017, 09:25:26 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 25, 2017, 09:18:52 PM

And, please pardon my scepticism, Sister, but since you joined us a certain member has been, er, missing. Perhaps he is on holiday or something and is being rather careful just how he uses the Internet connection at his location. After all, each "location" has a unique identity.

Dave, are suggesting that Father Bruno is in a convent with SisterAgatha?
:snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

What are your opinions on Judaism?

It's just as weird as Christianity, Islam, and other intitutionised religions of the world.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on September 25, 2017, 09:45:57 PM

:notsure: Hmm...

Agatha in Portuguese is Ágata which is very similar to a gata, which means the female cat:chin:

Maybe there is some cosmic conspiracy to make us believe that Father Bruno is somehow involved!  :worried:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 25, 2017, 10:37:58 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 25, 2017, 09:45:57 PM

:notsure: Hmm...

Agatha in Portuguese is Ágata which is very similar to a gata, which means the female cat:chin:

Maybe there is some cosmic conspiracy to make us believe that Father Bruno is somehow involved!  :worried:

Sister a gata...Yes.
Everyone knows how much The Father loves gatos y gatas.

Recusant

Do you have any specific questions, SisterAgatha? Despite the fact that for a time in my youth I was known as 'the token Jew' I'll admit that I have much more acquaintance with Jewish people than I do with Judaism. Those that I've known have treated their religion as an irrelevance or at best an excuse to throw a dinner party (Seder). I'm familiar with the Old Testament though, and can certainly see why thoughtful Jews would be willing to toss that aside. As with any other regressive form of religion, fundamentalist Judaism is notable for its repugnant notions. A mild example: "Rabbi Bans Females From Riding Bikes Because It's 'Provocative'" | patheos

QuoteAn ultra-orthodox Jewish rabbi of the Jerusalem neighborhood of Nahloat has banned girls age five and above from riding bicycles in some areas of Israel, claiming the activity is "immodest" and "provocative."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

^^^
This makes me angry.  :grrr:
If I lived there, I probably would've been stoned by now.   :notsure:
~And I mean the bad kind of stoned--not the good kind.  :smokin cool:

SisterAgatha

Quote from: Recusant on September 26, 2017, 01:06:38 AM
Do you have any specific questions, SisterAgatha? Despite the fact that for a time in my youth I was known as 'the token Jew' I'll admit that I have much more acquaintance with Jewish people than I do with Judaism. Those that I've known have treated their religion as an irrelevance or at best an excuse to throw a dinner party (Seder). I'm familiar with the Old Testament though, and can certainly see why thoughtful Jews would be willing to toss that aside. As with any other regressive form of religion, fundamentalist Judaism is notable for its repugnant notions. A mild example: "Rabbi Bans Females From Riding Bikes Because It's 'Provocative'" | patheos

QuoteAn ultra-orthodox Jewish rabbi of the Jerusalem neighborhood of Nahloat has banned girls age five and above from riding bicycles in some areas of Israel, claiming the activity is "immodest" and "provocative."

No specific questions no. This isn't really a serious fact-finding mission on Judaism as much as just a "what do you think?" sort of question.

I can see  Judaism is really sort of a mixed bag.

Reform Jews appear to be a bit like the Jewish equivalent of liberal episcopalian or liberal methodist. They are Jewish but feel their religion is able to be adapted.

Conservative and Orthodox Jews seem quite similar to Catholics actually in terms of their liturgy and practices. Content aside, the style and form of thinking that go with Judaism make me think Catholicism has more in common with it then we do with Protestnaitsm (aside from Jesus of course.)

Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur could easily pass as Catholic feast days, or days of fasting. The mourners Kaddish is really sort of a jewish version of Catholic prayers for the dead. Spend some time in a  traditional synagogue. It honestly looks like a hebrew version of a luxurious Catholic Church.

I honestly have great respect for devout Jews, and feel they should be supported but also at least told about the Catholic Church

Tank

Quote from: SisterAgatha on September 26, 2017, 04:07:55 AM

Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur could easily pass as Catholic feast days, or days of fasting. The mourners Kaddish is really sort of a jewish version of Catholic prayers for the dead. Spend some time in a  traditional synagogue. It honestly looks like a hebrew version of a luxurious Catholic Church.

I honestly have great respect for devout Jews, and feel they should be supported but also at least told about the Catholic Church
Given that Catholicism came after Judaism Catholic feast days could well pass for their predecessor Jewish celebrations. 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Quote from: SisterAgatha on September 26, 2017, 04:07:55 AMI honestly have great respect for devout Jews, and feel they should be supported but also at least told about the Catholic Church.

:doh: The Jews have the better part of two millennia's worth acquaintance with the Catholic church, SisterAgatha. As those years rolled by they were intermittently getting the crap kicked out of them, and this was incited and encouraged by the Catholic church.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

SisterAgatha

^ Oh for goodness sake that is not true!

Some bad people attacked Jews back then but that doesn't mean they are doing what Jesus wanted them to.

It does make me sad how our leaders and laypeople have treated Jews over the years.

I really hope that never happens again.

No one

Why does anyone need to be told about the Catholic Church? Remember, religion is like a dick. It's fine if you have one, it's fine if you're proud of it. Just don't shove it down my throat.

Thank you very much. Have a nice day.