News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Glasgow Art School suffers second fire.

Started by Dave, June 16, 2018, 05:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Rennie Mackintosh's beautiful art school has suffered its second fire in four years. The latest blaze is far worse and work was still ongoing after the first.

Mackintosh is one of my favourite artist-architects and I am gutted that this building has been damaged again. World renowned it was not considered beautiful by all but was a superb design for its function and aesthetically, even emotionally, valuable.

Millions have already been spent but the government has promised further funding. But nothing can replace the original fittings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44507189
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on June 16, 2018, 05:11:13 PM
Rennie Mackintosh's beautiful art school has suffered its second fire in four years. The latest blaze is far worse and work was still ongoing after the first.

Mackintosh is one of my favourite artist-architects and I am gutted that this building has been damaged again. World renowned it was not considered beautiful by all but was a superb design for its function and aesthetically, even emotionally, valuable.

Millions have already been spent but the government has promised further funding. But nothing can replace the original fittings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44507189

This is terrible news. I am also a great lover of Mackintosh's work. I hope not too many original pieces were lost.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

It sounds like the whole building will need to be demolished.

I hope they save some features and any new building is at least sympathetic externally with original building techniques and, if possible, recovered bricks. To my mind even they have an historical and emotional value.

No doubt internally it will have built in media stuff and modern environmental control etc. As well as modern loos!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.