News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Just thinkin'

Started by Dave, February 16, 2018, 08:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Since my mouth is still sore and bleeding, from Wednesday's scrape, it's cold, real banana milk shake and icecream for brekkers (after multiple rinses and gargles and a bit of toothpaste to get rid of the foul taste) . . .

"Fully skimmed, low fat" milk. Hmm. When it has a full load of lipids it is called, "Full cream" - "cream" being a "warm" word, smooth, soothing etc. So promote it!

Trying to diet? Then that smooth and soothing stuff becomes ugly FAT!

Ain't psychology clever . . .

Any more examples out there?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Just heard, on the radio, that British troops are to instruct African wildlife park rangers in tracking and bushcraft.

Er, um...

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on February 17, 2018, 07:11:44 AM
Just heard, on the radio, that British troops are to instruct African wildlife park rangers in tracking and bushcraft.

Er, um...

In other news, there's a push on to sell ice to Eskimos.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Jyst thinkin' this book might interest some of our members with an appreciaution of the technicaly/scientificaly creative mind.

"Inventive minds" (can't seem to copy an image of the cover to Imgur.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0195071700/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2NY7RDEKPL44T&psc=1

I may go for a 2nd hand copy and, unforunately, I get the impression these are only American minds

Dave

With five new ones, that were not there last week, there are now more, twenty something, restaurants, coffe shops, tea shops, sandwich bars, snack bars, pattiseries etc etc etc in Gloucester centre than any other type of selling place by a factor of about four, or maybe more. That is not counting the twelve in the docks complex.There are 8 charity shops and 3 "thrift" (pound) shops, 5 betting shops, two pawn/used goods shops . . .

This is an age of austerity we are told, that explains the thrift, charity and used goods shops. But at £2 for a cup of tea and £3 for a cake!! Where do all these eaters and drinkers come from!?

About the only main cuisine groups missing are French, Japanese (was once but it closed) and African/Middle Eastern. Mexican has to share with Texican.

jumbojak

Er, um...

Depending on who's doing the training, that could make a lot of sense. While there are certainly many accomplished trackers in Africa a great deal of the knowledge and experience of trackers worldwide has been integrated and systematized by western militaries.

Your average Joe National Guardsman might not be very good for the job but there are a lot of very capable individuals who are also very good at conveying their knowledge to others.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on February 21, 2018, 09:20:47 PM

Er, um...

Depending on who's doing the training, that could make a lot of sense. While there are certainly many accomplished trackers in Africa a great deal of the knowledge and experience of trackers worldwide has been integrated and systematized by western militaries.

Your average Joe National Guardsman might not be very good for the job but there are a lot of very capable individuals who are also very good at conveying their knowledge to others.

Yeah, I knew that but the seeming irony of it tickled me! I remember watching a docu of a game warden team tracking poachers, it was the white leader who did much of the work, especially on the strategic side.

Magdalena

I've been Just Thinking/Talking to myself.

I don't think I belong here.
Maybe it's time for this witch  to fly over the Cuckoo's  nest on her queen size broom to the other side of the rainbow...If you know what I mean... :lol:

You don't know I mean, do you?  :(

OK.  :sad sigh:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

I don't think I belong here either Mags. I don't think I belong anywhere really.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

I think feelings of belonging are overrated. Having moved a lot while growing up I don't feel like I belong anywhere either, but I've come to the personal realisation that I no longer care. I stopped searching for my place in the world.

People are diverse...worldviews and opinions differ. There are generational differences. Cultural ones. Honestly, I think that if I was part of a group who thought exactly like me I would be bored out of my wits! :lol: (The others would too, therefore so much for that!)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 24, 2018, 03:13:15 PM
I think feelings of belonging are overrated. Having moved a lot while growing up I don't feel like I belong anywhere either, but I've come to the personal realisation that I no longer care. I stopped searching for my place in the world.

People are diverse...worldviews and opinions differ. There are generational differences. Cultural ones. Honestly, I think that if I was part of a group who thought exactly like me I would be bored out of my wits! :lol: (The others would too, therefore so much for that!)

After being shuffled hither and thither in the RAF for neatly 12 years I agree that location ain't all it's cracked up to be. Ok, nice if where you live supplies something special that nowhere else quite does but I agree that the culture, the people and other such things are more important to me.

I tried, a couple of times, to start a pub debating type group in Gloucester, three times actually, one specifically for sci-fi. Bit like a forum in a pub . . . No takers. I have no friends with similar interests to mine in any depth.

So, this forum is important to me, a place where I can explore and be supported or shot down in flames, or just agree to disagree!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on February 24, 2018, 07:18:05 AM

Maybe it's time for this witch  to fly over the Cuckoo's  nest on her queen size broom to the other side of the rainbow...If you know what I mean... :lol:

No, but it makes me very sad.   :(
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Don't be thinking like that Mags. You too JJ. 

jumbojak

Can't help it Gene. When you feel like you need to say certain things but know you cant, for whatever reason, it drives you down in a hole. Some days I can peek over the side a bit but most I'm looking up and wondering what's going on. There are a few people who cheer me up but it's not enough sometimes.

I think I think roo much. Especially when I try not to think.

Dragonia

Quote from: Magdalena on February 24, 2018, 07:18:05 AM

Mags, what do you mean? My heart is sad reading this post. I'm not sure I want you to fly to the other side of the rainbow on your broom.
I don't know if you mean in your real life or on this forum. I hope you aren't talking about here.
But I so thoroughly understand a feeling of not belonging. I've felt the best of "belonging" and it was a wonderful few years. Now I live quite the opposite, in my real life location, and it's a fairly lonely place. It's a damn good thing I really enjoy my own company.
Anyway, I send you a hug from the other side of the country.  :hug:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)