News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Just thinkin'

Started by Dave, February 16, 2018, 08:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on March 10, 2018, 12:53:29 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 04, 2018, 03:57:29 PM
Just thinkin' I want to lie on my bed and listen to music with my eyes closed, just enjoy the experience for a while, but the AC in my room is broken and there's no way I'm going to go there in this heat.

Which god am I supposed to pray to to get the AC working again?  :Gaah: Is there like a Handyman's Saint or something?  :scratch: I'd buy the candles and light them!

I don't know about handymen but you could try praying to the patron saint of mechanics, St. Francis of Isuzu.

Pray to Thor, he with the big hammer.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 10, 2018, 01:32:15 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 10, 2018, 12:53:29 PM
Just thinkin' I want to lie on my bed and listen to music with my eyes closed, just enjoy the experience for a while, but the AC in my room is broken and there's no way I'm going to go there in this heat.

Which god am I supposed to pray to to get the AC working again?  :Gaah: Is there like a Handyman's Saint or something?  :scratch: I'd buy the candles and light them!

I don't know about handymen but you could try praying to the patron saint of mechanics, St. Francis of Isuzu.

Pray to Thor, he with the big hammer.

Thor is a myth. I am real and I have a very big ban hammer! :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on March 10, 2018, 02:21:15 PM
Thor is a myth. I am real and I have a very big ban hammer! :grin:

Why has your hammer been banned?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Sorry, Silver, candles don't shine a light on that problem. You have to sacrifice large quantities of money to get the right practioner to attend to carry out the appropriate esoteric rites (with all the correct paraphenalia), to frown, suck his teeth and shake his head, as per doctrine, before he changes even a simple fuse. Then tells you that you need a new one - that he just happens to have in stock at a discount (from twice its actual wholesale cost.)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 11, 2018, 10:42:47 AM

Sorry, Silver, candles don't shine a light on that problem. You have to sacrifice large quantities of money to get the right practioner to attend to carry out the appropriate esoteric rites (with all the correct paraphenalia), to frown, suck his teeth and shake his head, as per doctrine, before he changes even a simple fuse. Then tells you that you need a new one - that he just happens to have in stock at a discount (from twice its actual wholesale cost.)

I think you're right Dave. :sad sigh:

xSilverPhinx

Just thinking I really want to watch the new Tomb Raider movie (yes, another tomb raider origin story -- they replaced Angelina Jolie with a new actress for this one...). The film is is probably going to suck but all those fond memories playing the video games while growing up are currently overriding any sense I may have.

:shrug: I love going to the movies and will watch almost anything.

(The two movies with Angelina Jolie sucked. I would not recommend.)

Essie Mae

Just thinkin' About a play I saw called 'Quiz'. It was the only matinee I could find at short notice, I hadn't even  heard of it. Made me feel a bit like a voyeur. It centred round the TV programme, 'Who wants to be a Millionaire', and the army major, his wife and a neighbour who conspired to gain a pecuniary advantage, namely £1,000,000, by fraud from the TV company. The major would repeat the four choices out loud as though thinking, and the wife or the neighbour would cough when he said the right one. It was all quite cringe-making. He duly won the million, but right from the off, the studio floor staff thought something wasn't right.

There were set pieces such as when the major and his wife were travelling on the tube and when they were recognised, the other passengers started coughing. The theatre audience all had electronic handsets and we had to vote 'innocent' or 'guilty' at the end. They had also acted scenes from the court case and the TV programme itself. I believe they were guilty as did the court which gave them a suspended sentence, (and of course, they forfeited he prize money), but found it hard to stomach this never-ending exposure and ended up thinking I shouldn't have been there.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on April 15, 2018, 02:37:06 PM
Just thinkin' About a play I saw called 'Quiz'. It was the only matinee I could find at short notice, I hadn't even  heard of it. Made me feel a bit like a voyeur. It centred round the TV programme, 'Who wants to be a Millionaire', and the army major, his wife and a neighbour who conspired to gain a pecuniary advantage, namely £1,000,000, by fraud from the TV company. The major would repeat the four choices out loud as though thinking, and the wife or the neighbour would cough when he said the right one. It was all quite cringe-making. He duly won the million, but right from the off, the studio floor staff thought something wasn't right.

There were set pieces such as when the major and his wife were travelling on the tube and when they were recognised, the other passengers started coughing. The theatre audience all had electronic handsets and we had to vote 'innocent' or 'guilty' at the end. They had also acted scenes from the court case and the TV programme itself. I believe they were guilty as did the court which gave them a suspended sentence, (and of course, they forfeited he prize money), but found it hard to stomach this never-ending exposure and ended up thinking I shouldn't have been there.

I tend to agree. I might have put them in the slammer for a few months but, basically, once caught and punished public ridicule like this is not really ethical in my book. Perhaps I would not trust them until they had, somehow, demonstrated their remorse and that they had changed their behaviour.

I doubt that any of us is 100% honest and I well know the effects of having a, very minor, childhood "crime" thrown into my face over and over again.

The Hamiltons (he was an MP caught in the "cash-for-questions" controversy in the late 90s) made a success out of their noteriety, not hiding from it and makibg a dekiverate pkay of being given a well stuffed brown envelope when the appeared on "Hace I got bews for you!" on TV (anither of tge few things I miss with no licence.) Christine Hamilton became a brilliant and much sought after speaker.

Ah!  :grin: there is a non-BBC version available!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs4iyu

xSilverPhinx

Just thinking of how tense I've been feeling these past couple of weeks...you know the feeling you get when you notice just how much an area of your body is hurting due to the constant muscle tension? My left shoulder feels strained and I have to remember to relax the muscles whenever the pain gets to me.

It's incredibly annoying.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 29, 2018, 05:53:36 PM
Just thinking of how tense I've been feeling these past couple of weeks...you know the feeling you get when you notice just how much an area of your body is hurting due to the constant muscle tension? My left shoulder feels strained and I have to remember to relax the muscles whenever the pain gets to me.

It's incredibly annoying.

My excuse is age and all the joys it brings . . .

Dave

Anybody heard from Sandra or Dragonia recently?

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on May 15, 2018, 08:26:27 PM
I haven't.
:notsure:
But maybe they'll hear "the drums" and come to Davin's 7000 posts celebration.
:smilenod:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on May 15, 2018, 10:44:16 PM
Quote from: Dave on May 15, 2018, 08:26:27 PM
I haven't.
:notsure:
But maybe they'll hear "the drums" and come to Davin's 7000 posts celebration.
:smilenod:
Oh damn, 7000...
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.