News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Conservative/Republican atheist

Started by jduster, August 25, 2010, 05:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jduster

I am both conservative/Republican and an atheist.  Two things which usually are mutually exclusive.  It's unfortunate by voting Republican, I have to support their religious platform of bigotry.  Even many liberal Democrats are religious too though.  It's kind of hard to be accepted anywhere...

pinkocommie

Welcome!  I know a few people here who might, at least on some issues, be considered conservative as well so you have some company.  I personally won't vote for someone who politicizes their belief or non-belief (though trying to use atheism as a political selling point hardly ever happens, haha).  I'm fortunate to live in an area where not a lot of politicians, regardless of affiliation, use overt religiousness as a campaign platform.  Hope you like it here!
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Asmodean

Welcome, judster!

And thank you for opening my eyes to the possibility of there being such a creature as a conservative, republican atheist.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Hello, and welcome to HAF, jduster.  Your handle is precisely the same as that of a new member at a certain history forum.  This person is also apparently a conservative.   :| They don't seem to stick around for very long, but they've all been welcome while they stayed.  (Maybe not agreed with by many members here, but then again that's to be expected.  I think there is a tendency for those who profess to be atheists to also have at least a mild leaning to the left.)

(For myself, I have strong libertarian tendencies, but they're constantly at war with the part of me that says the Swedish model ain't so bad. lol  I think there is little doubt that both political parties in the US are morally bankrupt, and I rarely vote for either one.)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

panflutejedi

Quote from: "jduster"It's unfortunate by voting Republican, I have to support their religious platform of bigotry.  Even many liberal Democrats are religious too though.  It's kind of hard to be accepted anywhere...
Hello,

An all-or-nothing proposition.

The political parties and the Bible appear to have that in common, which is why I tend to steer clear of all such organizations, rather than eventually having someone point the finger and scream, "Infidel!".
Douglas Bishop
http://www.panflutejedi.com

An Inuit hunter asked the local missionary priest: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" "No," said the priest, "not if you did not know." "Then why," asked the Inuit earnestly, "did you tell me?"  ~Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

McQ

Welcome to the forum. For one, I never thought Republicans couldn't be atheists. I know plenty of Democrats who are deeply religious. Just as many as any other group that I've come across in my life.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Will

Quote from: "jduster"I am both conservative/Republican and an atheist.  Two things which usually are mutually exclusive.  It's unfortunate by voting Republican, I have to support their religious platform of bigotry.  Even many liberal Democrats are religious too though.  It's kind of hard to be accepted anywhere...
One of the most famous atheists alive, Christopher Hitchens, is what would be considered in American politics a conservative  (for example, he supported and still supports the invasion of Iraq). He manages to get respect from people all over the political spectrum, though, in part because he has the courage of his convictions. I would say his being accepted by so many actually helps political conservatism move away from religion, even if just a little bit.

I'd say as long as you vote your conscience as best you can, you deserve respect for that. You're certainly welcome here.

(Maybe you should run for office!  :cool: )
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

hismikeness

I wouldn't say that I am a conservative/Republican, but if you lined up each of my positions on numerous issues, I think I would average on the right side of middle.

Welcome.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

TheGodless

While I consider myself a socially liberal atheist, I tend to agree with Republicans when it comes to how to handle the economy, the war against terrorists and the rules of interrogation, the illegal immigrant problems, the death penalty, the need for a much smaller government, and how we should be following the constitution. I can't bring myself to join the Republicans, primarily due to the fact that they claim to make very important decisions by listening to voices they hear in their heads. I just can't support irrationality. Then when you throw in all of the rampant bigotry, it just locks me away from a party I mostly agree with. I know many Republicans base their opinions upon evidence, like being against government bailouts due to how this strategy worked during the last big recession. If only they could use this technique to see through their superstitons and childhood indoctrinations.

jduster

Thank you all for your cordial welcomes.

Quote from: "TheGodless"I can't bring myself to join the Republicans, primarily due to the fact that they claim to make very important decisions by listening to voices they hear in their heads. I just can't support irrationality. Then when you throw in all of the rampant bigotry, it just locks me away from a party I mostly agree with. I know many Republicans base their opinions upon evidence, like being against government bailouts due to how this strategy worked during the last big recession. If only they could use this technique to see through their superstitons and childhood indoctrinations.

True.  I think some Republicans who run for office are rational, but they have to court many irrational people to receive enough votes to win.  This was the basis for the Southern Strategy, which allowed politicians to receive votes by appealing to fears and prejudices of the racist south.  Reagan, for example, was religious and received support from religious groups, but he never tried to forcefully impose religion onto the people via the federal government.  He condemned bigotry and said multiple times that bigots were not welcome to join the party.

Quote from: "Will"One of the most famous atheists alive, Christopher Hitchens, is what would be considered in American politics a conservative  (for example, he supported and still supports the invasion of Iraq). He manages to get respect from people all over the political spectrum, though, in part because he has the courage of his convictions. I would say his being accepted by so many actually helps political conservatism move away from religion, even if just a little bit.

I'd say as long as you vote your conscience as best you can, you deserve respect for that. You're certainly welcome here.

(Maybe you should run for office!  ;)   I wonder if you're the same individual?  

There are actually quite a number of conservative/Republican atheists, but they seem to keep their heads down, and don't rock the boat much from within.  That's too bad, but understandable, I guess.  As you said, the Republican party seems to be dominated these days by fundamentalist Christian ideology.  This goes back to the days of Reagan, and a certain eschatological attitude that he seemed to endorse. GW Bush did nothing at all to change that.  

We've had a few positivists here, most of them youngsters who've recently read the work of Ayn Rand. lol  I think there is little doubt that both political parties in the US are morally bankrupt, and I rarely vote for either one.)

Yes, I am the same person from the history forum.  :D[/quote]

Yes, we do exist. :)

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "jduster"The problem I find is that many atheists which are not left-wing, are extremely to the right-wing.  They endorse extreme philosophies such as Objectivism, anarchy, isolationism, etc.  It is hard to find a center-right Atheist though.

Well, you've found one here.  Welcome to the forum.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Recusant

Ooops, I was typing pretty quickly, and substituted "positivism" for "Objectivism."  Thanks for the correction.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding

Welcome jduster

I don't see how a party can call themselves conservative and run such enormous deficits.
I don't think the enthusiasm for war fits either.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"Welcome jduster

I don't see how a party can call themselves conservative and run such enormous deficits.
I don't think the enthusiasm for war fits either.

Not to mention the intrusion they make upon civil liberties.

I've said for a long time that the Democrats want into your bank account and the Republicans want into your bedroom.  Both intrusions are offensive.  But after 2002, with its massive and ongoing deficits, I had to change it; both parties want your money.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

jduster

I do criticize the Republicans for being fiscally irresponsible, but most of the debt is the fault of a broken entitlement system, necessary defense spending, and a Democrat-controlled Congress.