News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Started by LARA, June 04, 2008, 07:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARA

Since the avatars we use, if we do, are really the only thing we see of each other, I'm kind of curious if you've ever noticed how a person's avatar effects the way you view them.   We can't pick our physical appearance in real life, but we do get to pick our avatar.  So what made you pick your avatar, what are the characteristics of the image or character that are really your favorite and what do you think about avatars in general?
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Will

Avatars do color my perception of people, as it replaces the face as the method by which I identify them first. As soon as I see the dragonfly, I know Lara has posted. As such, it's probably a good idea to find an avatar that can portray what you want to have people perceive about your personality. rose has a picture of her family, for instance.

Me? I'm looking for a new one. I was thinking about going Gandhi, but it doesn't really communicate the fact that I'm 24.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

McQ

Quote from: "Willravel"Avatars do color my perception of people, as it replaces the face as the method by which I identify them first. As soon as I see the dragonfly, I know Lara has posted. As such, it's probably a good idea to find an avatar that can portray what you want to have people perceive about your personality. rose has a picture of her family, for instance.

Me? I'm looking for a new one. I was thinking about going Gandhi, but it doesn't really communicate the fact that I'm 24.

Will I completely agree that avatars color the perception of us. It's kind of funny. By the way, your first one rocked. Why did you change it? Although the second one also rocked, so you were covered either way!  lol
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Smarmy Of One

My avatar is based on the Dead Kennedys 45" vinyl single for "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" with the b-side "Religious Vomit." There was no printing on the label. Just a banned swastika on side A and a banned crucifix on side B. It is one of my fav albums from one of my fav bands. Since I hate nazis and christians, the GIF seemed applicable.  :-)

Asmodean

My avatar is the stylized Earth. I was going to go for a different one, but given the maximum size allowed decided to go fo something that would not be affected by being small :-)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

crocofish

My avatar is an artist's rendering of Tiktaalik roseae, a significant transitional species between fish and land animals.  It was a "missing link" that was predicted, but discovered only recently.  Fossil remains of Tiktaalik were discovered in 2004, and the discovery was published in 2006.  It has weight bearing skeletal features like a crocodile, yet still has fish features.  Since I'm a firm believer in evolution, Tiktaalik seemed appropriate for an avatar (and related login name).
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

Evolved

I'm kind of new to forums, so avatars are a relatively new concept for me.  They do seem to color my perceptions of the poster.

Everyone knows my avatar - that beautiful sapphire sphere suspended in the middle of a pretty hazardous place.  Given the odds, I feel extremely fortunate to have a go around.
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

McQ

I forgot to mention before that my avatar is the iconic image of the HAL 9000 computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I love the book, movie and think HAL is awesome.
--Penn Jillette

crocofish

Quote from: "McQ"I forgot to mention before that my avatar is the iconic image of the HAL 9000 computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I recognized it immediately.  When I was a kid, I fantasized about having computers like HAL in the year 2001.  Eventually, I worked as an engineer at a supercomputer company in the 1990's.  I happened to rewatch the movie just before Jan. 12, 1992, which was the activation date for HAL in the movie, so I sent out a "Happy Birthday HAL" message on Jan 12, 1992 to the company message board.  At that time it was disappointing that the computers we were working on were nowhere near the capabilities of a computer like HAL, and we were unlikely to achieve it by 2001.  I'm still doing some design work for high performance computers, and we still aren't close to making a HAL-like machine, but I have hopes that some day I'll see such a machine.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

Mister Joy

Hmm. I put no effort into choosing mine, really. I used to have a picture of a dart board before HA was hacked (because I like darts, strangely enough), then I had that atrocious smiley face (which I just stuck up there because I was in a rush to find something else and it was knocking around on my hard drive). Now I've changed it to a dinner plate. No particular reason, I just got sick of the rotating face. That and food is life. Literally. If I had to worship anything, it would be steak with spuds, asparagus and gravy.

rlrose328

I'm always curious about what people look like... I've got avatars of me, but because I'm fat, I'd prefer people get to know me for how i think, what I say... the real me, rather than judging me by my appearance.

Oh hell... now I've gone and blown my cover.    :D   This picture is of them in line to get the WII the day it debuted... the hubby stayed in line all night long (he was second in line).  That pretty much defines us as a family.   :blush:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Smarmy Of One

Quote from: "McQ"I forgot to mention before that my avatar is the iconic image of the HAL 9000 computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I love the book, movie and think HAL is awesome.

I've never read the book, but 2001 is one of my fav movies. HAL is a perfect avatar for a Mod.  ;)

Quote from: "Mister Joy"Hmm. I put no effort into choosing mine, really. I used to have a picture of a dart board before HA was hacked (because I like darts, strangely enough), then I had that atrocious smiley face (which I just stuck up there because I was in a rush to find something else and it was knocking around on my hard drive). Now I've changed it to a dinner plate. No particular reason, I just got sick of the rotating face. That and food is life. Literally. If I had to worship anything, it would be steak with spuds, asparagus and gravy.

Notice that your avatars tend to be round. Dart board, smiley face, dinner plate. I wonder what that means.

Now that I think of it, a lot of our avatars seem to be round, including mine. Hmmm...

LARA

QuoteNotice that your avatars tend to be round. Dart board, smiley face, dinner plate. I wonder what that means.

Now that I think of it, a lot of our avatars seem to be round, including mine. Hmmm...

So do people tend to pick round avatars, or do people with round avatars tend to post more?  Or are happy atheists more likely to be fond of roundness?  

Things in general like to be round, or more actually spherical, planets water droplets, bubbles etc.  for various physical reasons.  I personally have quite a penchant for spherical things.   So does this have some deeper psychological significance here?  :D   Maybe I'll have to do an informal study on roundness in avatars. Visit forums, take notes, examine profiles, etc.  I'm positively way more fascinated by this observation than I really should be.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

McQ

Quote from: "crocofish"
Quote from: "McQ"I forgot to mention before that my avatar is the iconic image of the HAL 9000 computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I recognized it immediately.  When I was a kid, I fantasized about having computers like HAL in the year 2001.  Eventually, I worked as an engineer at a supercomputer company in the 1990's.  I happened to rewatch the movie just before Jan. 12, 1992, which was the activation date for HAL in the movie, so I sent out a "Happy Birthday HAL" message on Jan 12, 1992 to the company message board.  At that time it was disappointing that the computers we were working on were nowhere near the capabilities of a computer like HAL, and we were unlikely to achieve it by 2001.  I'm still doing some design work for high performance computers, and we still aren't close to making a HAL-like machine, but I have hopes that some day I'll see such a machine.

That's pretty cool. Love the HAL Birthday message! Yeah, too bad we didn't get to the level of HAL-like computers by 2001. I think we're going to make up for it pretty fast though, maybe with that Technological Singularity? LOL!

Quote from: "Smarmy Of One"
Quote from: "McQ"I forgot to mention before that my avatar is the iconic image of the HAL 9000 computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I love the book, movie and think HAL is awesome.

I've never read the book, but 2001 is one of my fav movies. HAL is a perfect avatar for a Mod.  ;)

The book is excellent. The one in the series I did not care for was 2061. Just didn't like it.
--Penn Jillette

Will

I went back and found what I think was my first avatar. Pierce Brosnan, a.k.a. the first Bond I saw in the theater.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.