News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Commencement of suicide

Started by Cite134, October 08, 2010, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cite134

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Cite, forgive me for sounding preachy, but it sounds to me like you already know what the problems are.  What seems absent is the willpower to tackle the issues.

Please don't think I'm talking down to you; I'm not.  I share a few of the problems you mention, but not the guts to mention them.

No offense taken. Perhaps I do have some knowledge of the problems...but I am not sure how or even if it's possible to take care of such a disease. That is: Finding futility in almost everything you look at.  :verysad: . On the other hand, I haven't tried ALL of the conventional remedies YET, so I suppose my next move is to acquire such things.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

AlP

Cite134,

I think I've been where you are. The drinking won't help. It probably wouldn't hurt to cut back.

For the depression, I suggest seeing a doctor. An antidepressant drug could have you feeling better in a few weeks.

In terms of the "futility," I think I understand. My suggestion is to, in your mind, replace "futility" with "responsibility." It's just a change of perspective but one that made me feel better. Futility implies a lack of cosmological significance and, with respect to human actions, not particularly unexpected to a critical thinker. On the other hand, responsibility is a human concept and one that is, in human terms, unavoidably achieved, for better or worse. I use those terms loosely.

For example, viewed in this way, my writing this post was in a sense futile, but that is irrelevant to me. I am now forever responsible for writing it. My action cannot be undone. It was more than a "nothing". It had meaning and that meaning I think of as "something I was responsible for" rather than "futility".

Lastly, from my own experience battling depression, it helps to write your negative thoughts down and use your critical thinking skills to find a rational argument against them. Then also write down the counter-arguments you come up with. After some repetition, the negative thought will start to go away. Writing it down is crucial. Doing it in your head will not work as well. I have no idea why. My last psychiatrist got me into it.

Take care.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Cite134"On the other hand, I haven't tried ALL of the conventional remedies YET, so I suppose my next move is to acquire such things.
What do you like about the world?
Don't forget about us when you answer that.

karadan

Cite, i'm not really in a position to give advice so i'll just say, i hope it gets better for you. Without the low points, we wouldn't have a frame of reference for when things are good. When things do get better, you'll look back on these times and you'll realise it made you a stronger and better person for it.

Chin up mate. Things do get better.

Good luck.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

epepke

Quote from: "Cite134"As the clock ticks, I find suicide to be more and more desireable.

We already know that.  It's trite commentary.

The question is, do you want to get to a better life, or not?

leonswan2000

You feel like killing yourself cause you don't like where you are this moment. Moments change. The world will not be a better place if you give up.
I lost more than a few tiles upon reentry

leonswan2000

everyone thinks about suicide. some of us more than others. But if you really believe this is the only Universe than you know it will change.

leonswan2000

what if you kill yourself right now and the pefrect thing you were wating for is right out side yur door. ANd this is it. You fucked up.

leonswan2000

Nobody believs that shit doesnt happen by chance?

leonswan2000

even though i am a atheist it would be hard to believe things dont happen by chance

leonswan2000

leonswan2000

All fomous people were just live s of chance

leonswan2000

mAYBE you are the leader to stop the invasion from Canada?

Cite134

Quote from: "leonswan2000"what if you kill yourself right now and the pefrect thing you were wating for is right out side yur door. ANd this is it. You fucked up.

It wouldn't make a difference to me. I'd be dead.

Cite134

Quote from: "epepke"
Quote from: "Cite134"As the clock ticks, I find suicide to be more and more desireable.

We already know that.  It's trite commentary.

The question is, do you want to get to a better life, or not?

I have no picture of a "better" life. Not even sure what that means.