News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Lying to Children

Started by Crow, July 04, 2012, 01:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: En_Route on July 04, 2012, 07:31:26 PM
It should not be overlooked that this also represents a valuable opportunity to earn additional  income for overweight males.

This is true! I did take wee man to get pictures taken with a mall Santa when he was 6 months old. I wouldn't prevent him in the future, if he wanted to again. :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Siz

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 04, 2012, 07:33:19 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 04, 2012, 07:31:26 PM
It should not be overlooked that this also represents a valuable opportunity to earn additional  income for overweight males.

This is true! I did take wee man to get pictures taken with a mall Santa when he was 6 months old. I wouldn't prevent him in the future, if he wanted to again. :)

We took the kids to one in NZ when little M was just 1 and J 3. J wouldn't go anywhere near the huge, sweaty Santa in his winter coat - it was the middle of summer, of course. That's just so wrong!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Sweetdeath

A lot of people seem to think the santa/tooth fairy thing is so harmless, but why is lying to children okay?

Won't they be fine living their lives without being lied to?

We should stop thinking it's alright to make things up and hold them as reality. A child is a lot smarter than we think, just with a slightly less ability to perceive logic and reason. I really don't think that not having santa and other childhood lies in one's life will someone lessen the magical innocence of a childhood. I would of respected my parents far far more if they had not lied to me. My mother did the whole santa thing, but my father was totally against it. I appreciate that much from him.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

En_Route

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 10:40:22 PM
A lot of people seem to think the santa/tooth fairy thing is so harmless, but why is lying to children okay?

We should stop thinking it's alright to make things up and hold them as reality. A child is a lot smarter than we think, just with a slightly less ability to perceive logic and reason. I really don't think that not having santa and other childhood lies in one's life will someone lessen the magical innocence of a childhood. I would of respected my parents far far more if they had not lied to me. My mother did the whole santa thing, but my father was totally against it. I appreciate that much from him.
There is more of a gap between children's cognitive development and those of adults than you imply. Telling lies to children may often be a good idea to insulate them fom realities that they are not equipped to deal with.
Honesty tends anyway to be rather over- rated and too often is used as a justification by people who  lack social intelligence or just want to inflict hurt on others.

Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Dobermonster

Quote from: En_Route on July 04, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

There is more of a gap between children's cognitive development and those of adults than you imply. Telling lies to children may often be a good idea to insulate them fom realities that they are not equipped to deal with.
Honesty tends anyway to be rather over- rated and too often is used as a justification by people who  lack social intelligence or just want to inflict hurt on others.

What would you use as an example of telling a beneficial lie to a child?

Asmodean

It is also used as justification by people who don't care enough to lie or have little or nothing to gain from it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Dobermonster on July 04, 2012, 11:11:40 PM

"Oh wow, that is an awesome picture you drew of Oma!" (just told this one a few minutes ago.)

I mean, I actually do think it's awesome because he's only recently started drawing pictures with recognizable features like eyes and smiles and I think it's incredible.  But if someone were to look at it objectively (like Asmo, for example) they probably wouldn't think it was "an awesome picture."  But what am I going to say "Hmmm....only just barely recognizable human.  D-"

Sweetdeath

I don't think honesty is over-rated, and i dont feel any less intelligent by NOT doing it.  ::)

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Dobermonster

I guess that easy, lol. Already thought of another - "Sweetie, daddy and I were just playing wheelbarrow . . . "

So we have lies to encourage and to protect . . . should there always be a reason to lie? Is entertainment enough?

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Dobermonster on July 04, 2012, 11:24:47 PM
I guess that easy, lol. Already thought of another - "Sweetie, daddy and I were just playing wheelbarrow . . . "

So we have lies to encourage and to protect . . . should there always be a reason to lie? Is entertainment enough?

There's nothing wrong with explaining sex to people. I guess some people feel embarrassed. I never knew why. Sex is natural with consent.

En_Route

Your child asks you who do you love the most out of him/ her and his/ her siblings. You reply that you love them all equally, although this is not in fact true.

En_Route

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 11:24:18 PM

I don't think honesty is over-rated, and i dont feel any less intelligent by NOT doing it.  ::)

Total honesty is best reserved for the Internet and even there it can be a perilous exercise.

Dobermonster

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 11:45:31 PM

There's nothing wrong with explaining sex to people. I guess some people feel embarrassed. I never knew why. Sex is natural with consent.

There's nothing *wrong* with it, but maybe it's better to tell a three year old that mommy and daddy were wrestling and avoid a midnight sex-ed class with a toddler who won't really understand the concept anyways.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Dobermonster on July 05, 2012, 12:42:46 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 11:45:31 PM

There's nothing *wrong* with it, but maybe it's better to tell a three year old that mommy and daddy were wrestling and avoid a midnight sex-ed class with a toddler who won't really understand the concept anyways.

Welp, i don't envy people with kids.
I plan on having a nice display of toys amongst many other things in my future home/apartment. (Well, a room for it. Not like a display in the foyer XDD )

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: En_Route on July 04, 2012, 11:59:01 PM

Your child asks you who do you love the most out of him/ her and his/ her siblings. You reply that you love them all equally, although this is not in fact true.

I knew it!!
BRB, I have to call my mom...
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.