What to do if I'm a therapist and my client wants to talk religion or politics?

Started by MatureMcLeod, January 18, 2017, 01:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

In MatureMcLeod's defense--even though he mostly hasn't responded to people here, he has done so on occasion. Here, he answered a question, and here as well, while here he expressed agreement with previous posts.

In my opinion, part of the purpose of this site is to be a place where people who're in tough situations at least partly because of their atheism can find sympathetic ears. I welcome such people's presence here as long as they're not breaking any rules of this site, even if they don't interact much with us. I admit that this sort of behavior can be frustrating, though. :-\
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gloucester on January 18, 2017, 03:49:51 PM
Quote from: Firebird on January 18, 2017, 03:34:45 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 18, 2017, 03:28:33 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 18, 2017, 09:03:09 AM
On the basis of your previous posts I would strongly suggest you are not suited to the role of therapist.

I'm going to second this. :this:

I don't mean to be harsh but it seems you could use quite a few sessions yourself, and are not apt to help others with their issues at the moment.

Thirded.
Fourthed

Fiftheded.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

Quote from: Recusant on January 18, 2017, 05:13:02 PM
In MatureMcLeod's defense--even though he mostly hasn't responded to people here, he has done so on occasion. Here, he answered a question, and here as well, while here he expressed agreement with previous posts.

In my opinion, part of the purpose of this site is to be a place where people who're in tough situations at least partly because of their atheism can find sympathetic ears. I welcome such people's presence here as long as they're not breaking any rules of this site, even if they don't interact much with us. I admit that this sort of behavior can be frustrating, though. :-\
Good... Good.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dragonia

Quote from: Recusant on January 18, 2017, 05:13:02 PM

Ah, I really did half-heartedly look for responses from MM. But thank you for your perspective. I guess I should be a little gentler, especially if MM is earnest and not trying to jerk us around.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Recusant

Perhaps a little from column A and a little from column B, but I really don't know.  :thoughtful:

Anyway, there's a difference between lending a sympathetic ear and coddling. As long as they're within the rules, honest responses to threads here are fine by me.  :thumbsup:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Pasta Chick

I just find it difficult to engage let alone advise because all we really know about this poster is that they are somewhere in the US trying to cope with religious abuse, compulsive behavior and suicidal thoughts. That's really not anything to go on.

Ecurb Noselrub

I challenged his facts previously about the situation he was in, and he never responded.  I continue to think that this is BS, but I have often been wrong.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 19, 2017, 02:12:54 AM
I challenged his facts previously about the situation he was in, and he never responded.  I continue to think that this is BS, but I have often been wrong.

It's kinda the perfect BS... Its not likely, but there's no way to prove it's happening or not because the communities who do that shit hide. Unless you're Josh Dugger, it never gets big enough to make waves (and most people still don't even understand the full story of what's going on with the Duggers, just that there was a coverup).