News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Attraction(s) -- HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, September 24, 2017, 04:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 11, 2017, 04:45:10 AM
Quote from: Icarus on October 10, 2017, 08:20:20 PM
I see that you have some of my favorite books, Hermes.  i have long held that you can tell many things about a man by looking at his bookshelf.

I see: Wrinkles In Time by George Smoot among others that I like particularly well. ..............In the US we have a brand of better quality Jams and Preserves whose brand name is Smuckers. Their slogan is; "with a name like Smuckers, it has to be good".  Same goes for a guy named Smoot, and he is indeed good at what he does.

I agree 100% that one can learn a lot about someone just by examining the titles on their bookshelves. Do you also find it strange that there are no books to be seen in some homes?
This conversation reminds me of this quote:
"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
—Marcus Tullius Cicero
Roman Orator

:secrets1: I know some of you don't like the word, "soul" but I think it's a nice way of saying that there might be something wrong with you if by choice you don't have any books in your home.  :shifty:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Quote from: Magdalena on October 11, 2017, 04:55:12 AM
I see that you have some of my favorite books, Hermes.  i have long held that you can tell many things about a man by looking at his bookshelf.

I see: Wrinkles In Time by George Smoot among others that I like particularly well. ..............In the US we have a brand of better quality Jams and Preserves whose brand name is Smuckers. Their slogan is; "with a name like Smuckers, it has to be good".  Same goes for a guy named Smoot, and he is indeed good at what he does.

I agree 100% that one can learn a lot about someone just by examining the titles on their bookshelves. Do you also find it strange that there are no books to be seen in some homes?
—Marcus Tullius Cicero
Roman Orator

:secrets1: I know some of you don't like the word, "soul" but I think it's a nice way of saying that there might be something wrong with you if by choice you don't have any books in your home.  :shifty:

I occasionally see, in interior design magazines, pictures of rooms that have one wall papered with faux bookshelf wallpaper. The stuff of nightmares!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 11, 2017, 05:01:27 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on October 11, 2017, 04:55:12 AM

—Marcus Tullius Cicero
Roman Orator

I occasionally see, in interior design magazines, pictures of rooms that have one wall papered with faux bookshelf wallpaper. The stuff of nightmares!
I didn't believe this, so I googled it. You are right, they do make bookshelf wallpaper.  :snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

I wonder where I can get some faux Bentley wallpaper for my garage.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

That fsux bookshelf wall paper looks all the worse because the "repeats" are not staggered - they are all on the same level.

I would go for complete mirroring to make my little room look bigger if it were not for the multiple images of myself everywhere I look!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on October 11, 2017, 06:23:32 AM
That fsux bookshelf wall paper looks all the worse because the "repeats" are not staggered - they are all on the same level.

I would go for complete mirroring to make my little room look bigger if it were not for the multiple images of myself everywhere I look!

A mirror on the ceiling over my bed has always worked for me.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 11, 2017, 08:19:10 AM

So you prefer to let the lady do the work? Good man!  :thumbsup:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on October 11, 2017, 09:05:15 AM

Are you sure about that?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 11, 2017, 05:28:14 AM

This is Faux and Bentley, how many metres will I put you down for?

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 11, 2017, 09:15:54 AM

Are you sure about that?
Actually you may be right there! Better say 'partner'  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Are you sure about that?

Oops, you beat me to it, Tank!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on October 11, 2017, 10:04:13 AM

Are you sure about that?

You are all so right; you know which team I bat for. I can count the number of ladies who've been in my bed on the fingers of one foot.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 11, 2017, 09:20:42 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 11, 2017, 05:28:14 AM

This is Faux and Bentley, how many metres will I put you down for?

:snicker:
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Are you sure about that?

You can call me The Magic Pudding (and approved contractions), Antonym, Bad Penny, Bad Penny II, Marvin, Susurration and some other names I can't bring to mind but Tank isn't one of them.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 11, 2017, 01:00:16 PM

Are you sure about that?

You can call me The Magic Pudding (and approved contractions), Antonym, Bad Penny, Bad Penny II, Marvin, Susurration and some other names I can't bring to mind but Tank isn't one of them.

Yeah - I boobed there and quoted the wrong post!

:redface:

Shudda bin the one where Tank corrected himself - he and I crossed posted I think.