News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

2 days free in Orange County California

Started by Tank, July 24, 2017, 12:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Next months I have 2 days free in Huntington Beach, Orange County California.

What should I go see?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Will you be driving a rental car, or will you be with somebody local who has a car? Traffic in the LA area is formidable, particularly for somebody who isn't used to 6/8 lane freeways. Public transport is minimal. Anyway, I'd say the La Brea Tar Pits & Museum would be worth checking out, but they're on the other side of LA from Huntington Beach.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on July 24, 2017, 12:57:45 PM
Next months I have 2 days free in Huntington Beach, Orange County California.

What should I go see?

Go see the Mags! 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Arturo

Quote from: Tank on July 24, 2017, 07:04:05 PM
I'll have a car.

A tank inside a car. Never thought I would see the day.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

Isn't the Reagan ranch around there somewhere? You could make a pilgrimage, and when you get back home pay your respects at Lady Thatcher's estate...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Sandra Craft

If you enjoy driving for the scenery, I'd recommend going south on Pacific Coast Highway from Huntington Beach.  You'll be right on the coastline most of the time and there's a number of artsy towns that way you might be interested in exploring.  There's also Mission San Juan Capistrano (small, but very pretty) and, yes, the Nixon Library is down that way.

The scenery driving north on PCH is really beautiful once you turn off into Venice Beach past LA proper (which can take a while and it's pretty much all industrial areas unless you take the freeways).  Venice is nice to wander around, Malibu is about 26 miles of stunning coastline and Santa Barbara is another very artsy town, if you have the time to drive up there.

Are you going to be here on 8/21?  We're not in the direct path of the eclipse, but So Cal should see some of it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 25, 2017, 10:57:06 AM
If you enjoy driving for the scenery, I'd recommend going south on Pacific Coast Highway from Huntington Beach.  You'll be right on the coastline most of the time and there's a number of artsy towns that way you might be interested in exploring.  There's also Mission San Juan Capistrano (small, but very pretty) and, yes, the Nixon Library is down that way.

The scenery driving north on PCH is really beautiful once you turn off into Venice Beach past LA proper (which can take a while and it's pretty much all industrial areas unless you take the freeways).  Venice is nice to wander around, Malibu is about 26 miles of stunning coastline and Santa Barbara is another very artsy town, if you have the time to drive up there.

Are you going to be here on 8/21?  We're not in the direct path of the eclipse, but So Cal should see some of it.
I'd noticed the Southern coast road. Glad you highlighted that as worth doing.
We won't be there on the 21st unfortunately.

Ecurb Noselrub

Huntington Beach is close to Long Beach, where you can see the Queen Mary.  Long Beach is nice along the coast, generally.  For an adventure, take the ferry from Long Beach out to Santa Catalina Island.  You can do that on a day trip.  So, Day 1 - Long Beach and Queen Mary; Day 2 - Avalon, Santa Catalina by ferry.  Compliments of Ecurb's Economy Tours. 

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2017, 06:49:57 PM
Huntington Beach is close to Long Beach, where you can see the Queen Mary.  Long Beach is nice along the coast, generally.  For an adventure, take the ferry from Long Beach out to Santa Catalina Island.  You can do that on a day trip.  So, Day 1 - Long Beach and Queen Mary; Day 2 - Avalon, Santa Catalina by ferry.  Compliments of Ecurb's Economy Tours.
Thank you  ;D

Magdalena

Go to Mexico, Tijuana.  :maracas:
It's not far from Orange County, only 1 h 49 min (104.5 mi) via I-805 S and I-5 S.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on July 25, 2017, 07:26:00 PM
Go to Mexico, Tijuana.  :maracas:
It's not far from Orange County, only 1 h 49 min (104.5 mi) via I-805 S and I-5 S.

Yes. Send him to the barrio!!
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱