News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Freethought billboards going up in DFW Texas in April 2009!

Started by Whitney, March 24, 2009, 03:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Thanks to hard work done by Metroplex Atheists, the United Coalition of Reason, and other associated freethought groups, two billboards will be going up in DFW.  One in Fort Worth and one in Dallas.    :beer:

http://www.metroplexatheists.org/Commun ... fault.aspx

QuoteOfficial Update from the Metroplex Atheists Chairman - Thursday, February 19, 2009
The good news is that we have agreed to work with the new national organization, United Coalition of Reason, to put up not one, but two billboards in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, one in Dallas and one in Fort Worth.

We will receive full support in maximizing our exposure with the two billboards, including substantial monetary contributions, support for a website, an 800 number, help with local and national public relations, and spots on local radio. Radio spots have not been used in connection with an atheist billboard before so we will be the first. It's a package that will give us the most "bang for the buck" and will allow us to highly leverage the generous donations given by those who want to see an atheist billboard become a reality.

The bad news is that the billboards will not be up until April. Between now and then the national organization will complete its preparations and we can work to include other local non-theist organizations, in addition to the Dallas-Plano Atheist Meetup Group and Metroplex Atheists, in the new Dallas/Fort Worth Coalition of Reason or DFWCoR.

Contributors to this campaign can be very proud, not only are they going to put up the first atheist billboards in Dallas and Fort Worth, they are also going to positively affect the entire metroplex non-theist community for years to come.

seasonsofmadness

Glad this is coming to my state. I'll probably make a trip to Dallas in April, so maybe I'll get to see it. We'll probably be hearing a lot of controversy over this one though.

karadan

Quote from: "seasonsofmadness"Glad this is coming to my state. I'll probably make a trip to Dallas in April, so maybe I'll get to see it. We'll probably be hearing a lot of controversy over this one though.

Controversy is good. It causes debate and enables people to learn about issues they might not otherwise give a damn about. And maybe, just maybe, some christians might start to question their own belief structures.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

VanReal

In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Whitney

Fox just covered the billboard on the news.  They interviewed Terry, the person in charge of Metroplex Atheists.  They also interviewed someone from a local church who claimed thinking about what is true would bring people to God and therefore he didn't have a problem with the billboard (not sure where that came from since the billboard simply tells people who don't believe in a god that they aren't alone).  They also interviewed random 'motorists.'  One guy said something about freedom of speech and not caring as long as the group paid for the billboard.  Some idiot bigot said that it was a good thing because those who go against god get harmed.  They also quoted information provided by Metroplex Atheists about 15% of the US being non-believers.

Whitney

Whitney

Quote from: "seasonsofmadness"We'll probably be hearing a lot of controversy over this one though.
Yes, I'm expecting some controversy.  The meetup group I organize is going to be connected with the DFW Coalition of Reason.  It's got me thinking about just how openly athiest I want to be.

VanReal

That's a great point Whit, there is the fact of people "knowing" and then of people really knowing.  I think it would be okay though, after all maybe there is strength in numbers, even if we have itty bitty numbers right now.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Whitney

Quote from: "VanReal"That's a great point Whit, there is the fact of people "knowing" and then of people really knowing.  I think it would be okay though, after all maybe there is strength in numbers, even if we have itty bitty numbers right now.

It would probably be okay and I wouldn't be worried about it if we were in a thriving economy where I could pick who I work for.  With running the forum and meetup group it obviously wouldn't take much for someone to find out what I do in my personal time if they so desired.  Basically, the only backtracking on my being open I have done is purposely avoiding having my image readibly available on items linked to DFWCOR.  I was fine with the possibility of someone I know or work with randomly or purposely stumbling onto my website, blog, meetup group etc just not with being in the local news (What a bad way for my husband's family to find out too!).  So, like you said "knowing' vs knowing.

Whitney

I found a you tube video of one of the news broadcasts:

[youtube:3puse0vh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XROKN8ZSfZ8[/youtube:3puse0vh]

SallyMutant

I queried what was going on with the billboards in the Welcome thread; should have scrolled down to this thread. The horrible 10:00 p.m. local news shows seem to have covered this without being too inflammatory. But I bet their sites are full of looney comments.
There's nothing wrong with ambivalence--is there?