News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on March 09, 2018, 06:02:25 PM
Not that I can find. Have found a fairly comprehensive manual, with typical applications, in pdf form but no mention of signal:noise in the spec.

That's a pity, because it is an unambiguous test, which, if it fails, gives you good ammunition when you complain about the scope. On the other hand, unless you are measuring less that a few hundred millivolts, the noise you mention should not impact too much on the accuracy. A S/N ratio of at least 10:1 will ensure reasonable precision and repeatability.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 09, 2018, 06:29:15 PM
Quote from: Dave on March 09, 2018, 06:02:25 PM
Not that I can find. Have found a fairly comprehensive manual, with typical applications, in pdf form but no mention of signal:noise in the spec.

That's a pity, because it is an unambiguous test, which, if it fails, gives you good ammunition when you complain about the scope. On the other hand, unless you are measuring less that a few hundred millivolts, the noise you mention should not impact too much on the accuracy. A S/N ratio of at least 10:1 will ensure reasonable precision and repeatability.

OK, I am just too fussy!

:unsure:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Ah, I didn't realize you bought the scope as a unit. I'm familiar with Hantek usb offerings. Makes much more sense now.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on March 09, 2018, 09:23:56 PM
Ah, I didn't realize you bought the scope as a unit. I'm familiar with Hantek usb offerings. Makes much more sense now.

Ah, didn't even know thst they did usb 'scopes!

Another bitch, can't get it working on W10 64bit.  Plug it in and my W10 tablet recognises it. Software apparently loads OK in the tablet. Does the software see the 'scope? Nope!

Try method two, dump data to USB drive. Scope says "Successfully downloaded".  But neither software nor Explorer can find the file . . .

Search the web and Youtube. Known issue, suggested that the driver is 32bit; 64bit drivers and hacks found for other models but not mine. Hantek website as much use as a chocolate crucible in a steelworks. Good thing I don't need to dump files for deep analysis and that my tablet takes adequate shots of the screen (if I lower the window blind and turn lights, and flash, off.) But it is also able to produce CSV files for matgematical analysis, if you could get it to actually cummunicate with the USB that is! It can, and does, store 'scope setups internally.

Just bloody annoying and not the first time Chinese software has not worked on W10.

Later:
Have sent email to Hantek explaining the problem, saying that their site is of little use, asking for firmware/driver update downloads etc.

jumbojak

Good luck Dave. If other's recent experience dealing with their 8 channel usb scopes are any indication you might be waiting a long, long time for any fixes....

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on March 10, 2018, 01:23:31 AM
Good luck Dave. If other's recent experience dealing with their 8 channel usb scopes are any indication you might be waiting a long, long time for any fixes....

Ans Hantek get a 1* review for fsulty kit and kack if servuce..

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on March 10, 2018, 06:59:40 AM

Don't you mean cack?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 10, 2018, 07:24:47 AM
Quote from: Dave on March 10, 2018, 06:59:40 AM

Don't you mean cack?

"...lack of service"

Though "cack" might be appropriate in some respects.

Looks like I still need new glasses! Or to actually sit up at a desk with a stylus or use the Bluetooth keyboard to type instead of being a laid bsck couch slouch!. Or edit every thing twice . . . Thrice . . .

[Changed "potato" to "slouch" - more accurate and I like the rhyme!)]

jumbojak

Spent the evening sharpening chisels and cleaning up an old yankee screwdriver. Going to have a go at some small dovetail boxes here soon. A few saws need sharpening though.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on March 22, 2018, 04:06:37 AM
Spent the evening sharpening chisels and cleaning up an old yankee screwdriver. Going to have a go at some small dovetail boxes here soon. A few saws need sharpening though.

I wouldn't even dream of attempting dovetails. I am strictly a glue and screw woodworker.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

We'll see how they turn out. I imagine the final result will be rather rough.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on March 22, 2018, 04:45:31 AM

We will need photos, please.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on March 22, 2018, 04:06:37 AM

Goodness, I have not taiked a dove since my school dsys - then it was only a single joint for practice. I am with Hermes, screw it, glue it!

I do keep my chisels good and shsrp though, have had a few locks to fit and have done the odd halving joint. I really love seeing excellent joinery though, it can be an artform.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 22, 2018, 04:37:08 AM
I wouldn't even dream of attempting dovetails. I am strictly a glue and screw woodworker.

Ye me too, though I don't usually bother with the glue.

Jesus though was a purist and shunned all fasteners as is shown in The Gospel According to the Son, kinda ironic really.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 22, 2018, 04:48:50 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 22, 2018, 04:45:31 AM

We will need photos, please.

When I get some progress y'all will be the first exhibition.