News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dragonia on February 28, 2018, 04:41:24 AM
One of the pitfalls of being an empathic person is the deep sadness brought on by friends and loved ones facing really hard times. My heart almost physically hurts for the people I love and I can't do much to lessen their pain, but to listen and love them. I wish I could have a bag of joy and happiness and contentment that I could freely hand out.
Like a Nirvana Santa.

That's such a nice sentiment, Dragonia, wishing you could freely hand out happiness and contentment. In my opinion, it might not seem like much, but for the people who are hurting just having someone as empathetic and compassionate as you who listens to them does help a lot. Not many people seem to listen to others these days in our individualistic societies.

I hope everything gets sorted out and the people you care about feel better very soon. :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dragonia

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Guardian85

Getting ready for Home Guard exercises for a few days next week. Will be fun to see what they have concocted for us.
In their infinite wisdom the military have decided that they didn't need to add any marksmen this particular year, so I have been assigned as an MG soldier. Suits me just fine, i like machine guns as much as the next person and I can shoot pretty much anything. But it is a bit peculiar.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 03, 2018, 02:04:28 PM
Getting ready for Home Guard exercises for a few days next week. Will be fun to see what they have concocted for us.
In their infinite wisdom the military have decided that they didn't need to add any marksmen this particular year, so I have been assigned as an MG soldier. Suits me just fine, i like machine guns as much as the next person and I can shoot pretty much anything. But it is a bit peculiar.

What are Home Guard exercises?  Like National Guard in the US?

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 05, 2018, 12:49:14 AM

No! It's more like Dads Army.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on March 05, 2018, 01:10:12 PM

No! It's more like Dads Army.

That's a bit rough, Tank! At least put a  :grin: in there!

The Territorials, now the "Future Reserve 20" (yeuk), are a ptofesdionaly trsined and equipped bunch of volunteers who do great work at the sharp end. I know of one who started off in the infantry but, because he is a forensic accountant by trade, ended up in intelligence in the Gulf. A platoon sergent he says he would still rather be at the sharp end "with my boys".
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Siz

'Sandra Craft', indeed! Whatever next??!!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Siz on March 06, 2018, 09:22:40 PM
'Sandra Craft', indeed! Whatever next??!!

I can't help it, I was born with it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

The perfect Easter egg for an enemy!  ;D

Guardian85

The Norwegian Home Guard (Heimevernet) is comprised of people who have served, usually by conscription, in the military. They may then subsequently be drafted into the Home Guard to provide a force of thousands of already trained troops who can be deployed in a crisis. As such they are required to participate in exercises occasionally (usually once a year), and keep some military gear ready at home. Usually the HV is tasked with security operations around important facilities and infrastructure.
The benefits of such a system is that at any time the military can call on a significant number of reserves with a quick response time. And because which HV-district you are in is determined by where you live, all the soldiers have an added benefit of local knowledge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Home_Guard

Our job during these exercises was suplement the security around a large military installation near here. This meant a lot of standing outside or in the pillbox in cold and windy weather, waiting for the exercise organisers to kick something off to test us. 

We did have a bit of sun during the day-time, but that didn't help much. And it cocked up this picture of me.
If you think I look fat for a soldier, I am. But I am also wearing five layers of clothes.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

jumbojak

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 07, 2018, 04:40:51 PM
If you think I look fat for a soldier, I am. But I am also wearing five layers of clothes.

Just remember how tough Rooster Cogburn was. At least you still have bother eyes. 

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

The picture shows that you are taking care to keep the ammunition belt cool. ( Reference Lower area near feet)   SHeeesh! Cold!  That looks like a place I'd rather not be. 

xSilverPhinx

When you come to the realisation that:

Guardian85

Quote from: Icarus on March 08, 2018, 08:59:25 PM
The picture shows that you are taking care to keep the ammunition belt cool. ( Reference Lower area near feet)   SHeeesh! Cold!  That looks like a place I'd rather not be.

Also keeping my personal machine pistol cool.  ;)
it's leaning on the post.

-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

Much respect for you G85. They'd have to get the hairdryer to thaw me out after standing in that.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.