News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

"Subscribes to Free Inquiry"...

Started by Amicale, February 25, 2012, 07:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

...is currently my default post-count title. Which is hilarious, because I DO enjoy Free Inquiry magazine, although I'm not currently subscribed to it. (Subscribed to Humanist Perspectives and Scientific American though). Which actual in-print journals, magazines etc of a secular/skeptical bent do you read? :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Amicale

Or heck, which actual paper magazines in general do you read, even if they're not of a skeptical nature? I can't be the only one here who actually picks up a physical magazine!  ;)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Buddy

I'm subscribed to Horse and Rider and Practical Horseman if that counts.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Illustrert Vitenskap (Science Illustrated). It's a popular science magazine which is useful in giving me pointers for own research.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Traveler

If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Amicale

Cool picks! Budhorse, yours didn't surprise me at all  :D in fact, I would have been surprised if you didn't subscribe to a riding magazine!

Asmo, Science Illustrated sounds cool. What kind of research do you do?

Traveler, what's Mother Earth news all about? :) Environmental type stuff?

Aside from the ones I mentioned, I've also got Maclean's (Canadian news magazine that covers news from Canada, and international stuff), Reader's Digest (what can I say, I've been hooked since I was a little girl, although there was infinitely more material in the magazines from the 80s and early 90s!), and a family member has a subscription to MoneySense (Canadian finance mag) which I like taking a look at from time to time.

I also subscribe to Chirp and National Geographic Little Kids (children's magazines for my daughter, she loves them).

Eh, what can I say. We're magazine and book people.  :P

Asmodean

Quote from: Amicale on March 01, 2012, 01:47:20 AM
What I meant by own research was that Science Illustrated is meant for general public. Their articles are therefor relatively easy to read and do not contain too much information. If something there catches my eye, I look to other sources for further learning.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on March 01, 2012, 01:49:57 AM
What I meant by own research was that Science Illustrated is meant for general public. Their articles are therefor relatively easy to read and do not contain too much information. If something there catches my eye, I look to other sources for further learning.

Oh, cool! OK. Yeah, I do the same thing with Scientific American. It's probably not meant for the general public, more of an academic-ish audience... but a LOT of the articles in it, anyone would easily be able to read -- the stuff from Michael Shermer, cool pieces on how the brain works, or articles about the cosmos, etc. In fact, most of it's pretty accesible. I'll have to keep my eyes open for Science Illustrated if it's on store shelves here...

Traveler

...Traveler, what's Mother Earth news all about? :) Environmental type stuff?...

Yes. Sustainability and other earthy crunchy stuff. :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Asmodean

Quote from: Amicale on March 01, 2012, 01:56:34 AM
I'll have to keep my eyes open for Science Illustrated if it's on store shelves here...
Should be. It is published in States, Britain, Australia and a few other countries aside from Denmark, Norway and Sweden
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Cool picks! Budhorse, yours didn't surprise me at all  :D in fact, I would have been surprised if you didn't subscribe to a riding magazine!

Hey, they have great training tips in there. Like how to get your horse to stop eating the fake flowers on the jumps.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 01, 2012, 03:14:19 AM

Hey, they have great training tips in there. Like how to get your horse to stop eating the fake flowers on the jumps.

:D OK, so how DO you get your horse to stop eating them?

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on March 01, 2012, 03:21:08 AM
:D OK, so how DO you get your horse to stop eating them?

A good leg with lots of spur. I should know. I've been unseated more times than I'd like when Vinnie decided it was time for a mid-course snack.  :D