News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Loch Ness Monster seen as real dinosaur in biology books taught in Louisiana

Started by Java, June 27, 2012, 09:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Dobermonster on July 06, 2012, 05:30:50 AM
The thing I don't get about creationists is . . . they scrounge for this meager, speculative, pinhead of logic, float it in a vat of irrational deductive reasoning, and call it 'evidence', when testable statements are provided in the bible. Apparently the 'sons of God' came down to earth and procreated with humans, so God had to send the flood and cull their gigantic offspring. I want to see some giant angel DNA, dammit. I bet it thparkles.

I love the logic of angel + human = GIANT ANGEL CYCLOPS EVANGELION

I don't GET it. XD
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 07, 2012, 02:52:32 AM
Quote from: Dobermonster on July 06, 2012, 05:30:50 AM
The thing I don't get about creationists is . . . they scrounge for this meager, speculative, pinhead of logic, float it in a vat of irrational deductive reasoning, and call it 'evidence', when testable statements are provided in the bible. Apparently the 'sons of God' came down to earth and procreated with humans, so God had to send the flood and cull their gigantic offspring. I want to see some giant angel DNA, dammit. I bet it thparkles.

I love the logic of angel + human = GIANT ANGEL CYCLOPS EVANGELION

I don't GET it. XD

There was logic in that equation?   ;D

OldGit

What are you on about, all of you?  My poor old head is confused. :'(

Dobermonster

Quote from: OldGit on July 07, 2012, 07:12:38 PM

Genesis 6:1-6
And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

It also occurs to me that this passage subverts the idea of Yahweh being infallible and omniscient.

OldGit

^ Yes, I know that was how the thread started, but the last two pages have gone all ... um ... confusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu7vySQbgXI

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Dobermonster on July 07, 2012, 07:22:22 PM
Quote from: OldGit on July 07, 2012, 07:12:38 PM

Genesis 6:1-6
And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

It also occurs to me that this passage subverts the idea of Yahweh being infallible and omniscient.

He sounds like an idiot who made  a mistake (gasp, a mistake) and wont admit it.
But god is sooo perfect.  ::)

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Quote from: OldGit on July 07, 2012, 07:28:42 PM
^ Yes, I know that was how the thread started, but the last two pages have gone all ... um ... confusing.

There, there.  *Makes Git a cup of tea*  *Shows him again how to use the remote control*

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on July 07, 2012, 07:45:01 PM

There, there.  *Makes Git a cup of tea*  *Shows him again how to use the remote control*

From personal experience, I happen to know that the tea always goes over well, but no matter how many times I've shown my grandparents how to use their remote control, they never quite remember. "Come over and fix our TV, it's broken again!" "Why, what's the matter with it?" "There's a black box in the middle of the screen!" "You accidentally turned closed caption on again, grandma." "What button's that?? How'd I do that??" "Be right over...."

... and this conversation happened after them doing this for about the 10th time in a couple months...  :D

So, I just make her tea, "fix her TV", and rinse, lather and repeat.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Dobermonster

Quote from: Amicale on July 07, 2012, 10:59:13 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 07, 2012, 07:45:01 PM

From personal experience, I happen to know that the tea always goes over well, but no matter how many times I've shown my grandparents how to use their remote control, they never quite remember. "Come over and fix our TV, it's broken again!" "Why, what's the matter with it?" "There's a black box in the middle of the screen!" "You accidentally turned closed caption on again, grandma." "What button's that?? How'd I do that??" "Be right over...."

... and this conversation happened after them doing this for about the 10th time in a couple months...  :D

So, I just make her tea, "fix her TV", and rinse, lather and repeat.  ;D

LOL

Reminds me of when my parents asked me to explain  - over the phone -  to their elderly friends how to operate their first computer. Apparently I fail at describing what symbol is on the 'power' button.

Buddy

What exactly is the right way to explain what a power symbol is?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 08, 2012, 04:43:28 AM
Try:

Press everything button until you find the one that works.
When i was 13, i volunteered to teach adults how to use computers!
Yes, 13. I was seriously showing grown ups that you don't PUT the mouse on the monitor to move the cursor. Oy x__x;;;

OldGit

Referring to a 'mouse' is very confusing to old people.  They might try to use a real mouse, and get bitten.  We should call the computer version an 'Asmo'. ;)

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on July 08, 2012, 09:23:51 AM
Referring to a 'mouse' is very confusing to old people.  They might try to use a real mouse, and get bitten.  We should call the computer version an 'Asmo'. ;)
Yes but then which way around would he face in your hand? If he faced towards your wrist the scroll wheel would be in his butt crack and you'd be click 'left buttock' or 'right buttock'. If he faced the other way you'd be continually poking him in the eyes and using his lips as the scroll device; which means he'd probably bite you. Thus I don't think Asmo would make a suitable mouse replacement.

*just considered orienting Asmo on his back and decided not to describe the inverted reversed control set up!*
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.