News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)

Started by Sandra Craft, May 28, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 18, 2017, 03:00:49 AM
Brienne and Pod, training.  Many fans I know have said the killing of the Freys was their favorite scene, but for me it was when Tormund passed the battered Pod lying in the snow and told him "you're a lucky man".  Tormund must spend his nights fantasizing about Brienne throwing him repeatedly to the ground.
As a former martial artist I will admit there is something sexy about a woman who can go toe-to-toe with a grown man and win...  ;)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 18, 2017, 03:00:49 AM
Jon rallying the remaining Northerners.  He appears to have a natural touch at it but I have to say that when you're reduced to shoring up your fighting numbers with children and old people, you are not in good shape. 

Jon is, IMO, a lousy military commander. He fell right into Ramsay's trap when he dashed towards Rickon last season during the Battle of the Bastards, and would have lost if it hadn't been for Sansa who sought Littlefinger's help.

Ok, maybe I'm not being fair. After all, it  was who he thought was his brother running desperately down the field while Ramsay shot arrows at him. But still, as Sansa warned him prior to the battle, Ramsay is the one who sets the traps and Jon still did exactly what Ramsay wanted him to do.   

In the latest episode, Jon seems once again not to give due value to Sansa's knowledge on Cersei. I don't think things will go too well for him.

QuoteSansa.  Oh dear, if she's serious about accepting the second in command of the North under Jon role she really needs to learn how to present a united front -- not sure that's going to ever be part of her skill set.  Altho I also thought Jon out of hand in his "you admire her" crack when Sansa's advice about Cersei sounded only as if she knew her well -- and she does.

I don't know about presenting a united front when the elected king is rather incompetent. Look at what happened when Jon was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch  -- he was branded a traitor was killed by his own. Would that happen again or will he learn from his mistakes?

I like the Jon character, but I do not think he is fit for the role of King or leader.

Sansa, on the other hand, has learnt a lot since the beginning from the show. From the naive little girl easily seduced by Joffery and stories of valiant knights to the young woman learning the game from the best (Littlefinger), she has certainly come a long way.

QuoteLady Mormont, continuing to shame grown men.

Lady Mormont is easily becoming one of my favourite characters, even if she doesn't get that much screen time. I hope George Martin leaves her alone.  ::)

QuoteCersei and Jaime.  She's still a paranoid nut job and he's still enabling her.  "Tommen betrayed us" indeed, more like she screwed everything up.

When Jaime confronted Cersei and basically asked what the point was now that all their children were dead, she seems just to want power for power's sake.

QuoteSam Tarley.  I could have lived without the Sam-among-the-scut-work montage.  Still, he was allowed to make a huge discovery if only the story allows him to live long enough to tell Jon.

Seriously, what kind of montage was that? I was like "ok, we get the point already!"

QuoteLittlefinger, weasel of Westeros.  But it's good to see that Sansa is developing a nice, sharp edge.

Littlefinger is certainly one of the most interesting characters. Now that he told Sansa what he wants (big mistake, IMO) it's interesting to see his plans unfold in order to reach his final goal.

QuoteArya and the Merry Men.  I so hope they don't turn into rapists.  I'm told one of them is a professional singer in real life, but I don't know who.

I was surprised when I saw Ed Sheeran. Wasn't expecting that. 

QuoteThe Hound and the Bannerless men.  So . . . is Sandor a Lord of Light visionary?  Is he going to take over Top Knot's job?

Interesting development. Time will tell.

QuoteJorah Mormont.  Since the maesters at the Citadel are research and experiment type scholars as well as simply bookish scholars, I'm assuming Jorah put himself in their hands as a guinea pig for Greyscale cures.  Hard way to treat an invalid.

Hopefully he will be cured, but knowing GoT...

QuoteAnd finally, Dany.  A Targaryen back in Dragonstone at last, which is conveniently around the corner from King's Landing.  Question: was Dragonstone the original capital of the Seven Kingdoms, because that looks like a throne of raw dragon glass in the anteroom.

QuoteAfter Aegon's Conquest of the Seven Kingdoms, Dragonstone in the newly-created crownlands served as the seat of their heir apparent, known as the Prince of Dragonstone. After Robert Baratheon overthrew the Targaryens in Robert's Rebellion, he gave the castle to his brother Stannis, creating House Baratheon of Dragonstone.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 19, 2017, 12:54:12 AM
Jon is, IMO, a lousy military commander. He fell right into Ramsay's trap when he dashed towards Rickon last season during the Battle of the Bastards, and would have lost if it hadn't been for Sansa who sought Littlefinger's help.

Ok, maybe I'm not being fair. After all, it  was who he thought was his brother running desperately down the field while Ramsay shot arrows at him. But still, as Sansa warned him prior to the battle, Ramsay is the one who sets the traps and Jon still did exactly what Ramsay wanted him to do.   

In the latest episode, Jon seems once again not to give due value to Sansa's knowledge on Cersei. I don't think things will go too well for him.

It's true he's raw but I think he has a better instinct for fairness than Sansa.  That instinct for fairness is what did him in at Castle Black, but I think it could work in his favor re-uniting his bannermen.  But this is definitely why I want Davos in place as Jon's mentor as quickly as possible.

QuoteI don't know about presenting a united front when the elected king is rather incompetent.

Incompetent or not, he's in charge and Sansa has to learn to save the disputes for council meetings -- which Jon has to learn to include her in -- and no arguing in front of the troops.  That's just going to make a bad situation worse.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

One odd note -- I was watching GoTs Sunday with a group and one of them remarked that the writing on this episode seemed more modern than before.  I didn't think anything about it at the time, but it's been nagging the back of the mind since and I think she was right.  At least, I don't remember characters previously using terms like "OK" or "nope".  Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Sandy

Guardian85

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 19, 2017, 05:46:29 AM
Incompetent or not, he's in charge and Sansa has to learn to save the disputes for council meetings -- which Jon has to learn to include her in -- and no arguing in front of the troops.  That's just going to make a bad situation worse.
That is a thing you get drilled into you in the bar business. If you disagree with another staff member's decision, you never take it up in front of the customers. You always back your staff there and then, or you will undermine their authority in a setting where they have to have control (FYI I used to work security in bars). Afterwards you can take it up behind closed doors so it doesn't happen again.

So yeah, Sansa had a valid point, but that was not the place for it.
And in her defence, maybe discussing it ahead of time would have been a good idea.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 19, 2017, 05:46:29 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 19, 2017, 12:54:12 AM

It's true he's raw but I think he has a better instinct for fairness than Sansa.  That instinct for fairness is what did him in at Castle Black, but I think it could work in his favor re-uniting his bannermen.  But this is definitely why I want Davos in place as Jon's mentor as quickly as possible.

The problem with Davos being Jon's mentor is that he is not of the North, and in my understanding the northmen are a proud lot and might not so easily accept the influence of an outsider. I think Jon's going to have to learn how to walk on his own two legs quickly if he's going to rule effectively. He might not be the best warrior king, but perhaps he could be a good king.

QuoteI don't know about presenting a united front when the elected king is rather incompetent.

I agree, yet it's just so interesting to see the obvious tension between Jon and Sansa in regards to who should be ruling the North. I'd bet Sansa thinks Jon has no right, even if he was elected, being a bastard.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 19, 2017, 10:23:32 AM
One odd note -- I was watching GoTs Sunday with a group and one of them remarked that the writing on this episode seemed more modern than before.  I didn't think anything about it at the time, but it's been nagging the back of the mind since and I think she was right.  At least, I don't remember characters previously using terms like "OK" or "nope".  Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I didn't notice, but then again I wasn't paying attention and looking for modernisms. IMO, for a show heavily inspired by medieval feudalism, basically everything everyone says is too modern.  ;D They certainly didn't speak like we do, in medieval England.

Though it would be interesting if they did adopt the era-appropriate English for this show I don't know if anyone but OldGit would understand it all.  :sidesmile:   

Asmodean

So I watched the episode because... Well, someone else in the same room as my giant public display wanted to.

My impression? Hmm... Let's see...

The demise of House Frey: Uninspired. The fake old asshole's last words? True as such things go.

Sansa: Turning out to be not-so-bad in some ways... I may want that one to survive until at least mid-season.

King Jon: lacks a certain... Je ne sais jenecide. Assertiveness?

Queen whatshername: Love the new hairdo. Also, while she obviously played the pirate guy, she played him well. Now he can go die somewhere in an epic sea battle or some such and... Deplete enemy forces a little.

Queen-whatshername's-brother-lover-fellow: He's turned completely uninteresting in my book. Chop-chop time.

The white-eyed kid: Too little screen time yet, but... What the fuck happened there? Why did the other guy seem to buy whatever it was he said? When did that thing he was referring to happen?

Arya and the soldiers: Good scene. Thin, but it had a certain... Warm-and-fuzzy-whatever you rarely see when dealing with soldiers on the silver screen. Had a certain earthly humanity to it.

The Hound: I do hope he doesn't find religion, but it's a slim hope.  :( I see chop-chop times coming.

Sam: Yeah. Sure. He can live for now. However, too much screen time to accomplish little, if you ask me.

The Dwarf and the dragon queen: Yes, they most certainly should begin. Let the huge budget battle scenes commence!  ;D

Forgot any one important, yesno?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on July 21, 2017, 01:19:32 PM
The Hound: I do hope he doesn't find religion, but it's a slim hope.  :( I see chop-chop times coming.

:lol: I think it's the kind of irony that George Martin would go for. The Hound, who is deathly afraid of fire, ends up worshipping the fire god.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 21, 2017, 01:01:16 PM
I agree, yet it's just so interesting to see the obvious tension between Jon and Sansa in regards to who should be ruling the North. I'd bet Sansa thinks Jon has no right, even if he was elected, being a bastard.

This is one of my fears -- that Baelish will be made to use that tension to divide Jon and Sansa, and by extension the North, which can only result in the Night King killing them all.  Really don't want zombies winning.

By the way, it's been brought up that Jon will lose Northern support once Bran arrives with the news that Jon is Lyanna's son, not Ned's, because that would mean Jon isn't really a Stark.  But since Lyanna died still a Stark herself, I don't see how this makes Jon Snow any less of a Stark than if he was Ned's son. 
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on July 21, 2017, 01:19:32 PM
Queen-whatshername's-brother-lover-fellow: He's turned completely uninteresting in my book. Chop-chop time.

But he's still way too pretty to kill!  (and it's Cersei and Jaime, respectively)

QuoteThe white-eyed kid: Too little screen time yet, but... What the fuck happened there? Why did the other guy seem to buy whatever it was he said? When did that thing he was referring to happen?

Bran.  I don't remember the battle he referenced either -- the Fist of the Hand of Something, I don't know -- but apparently it's something only a Stark would know, and considering how few Starks are left that means he probably is Bran.

QuoteThe Dwarf and the dragon queen: Yes, they most certainly should begin. Let the huge budget battle scenes commence!  ;D

I want to see dragon-riding into combat, that's what I paid my money for.

QuoteForgot any one important, yesno?

I consider the possible Brienne/Tormund romance important, but that's probably because it can't all be dragon scenes.
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 21, 2017, 02:10:52 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 21, 2017, 01:01:16 PM

This is one of my fears -- that Baelish will be made to use that tension to divide Jon and Sansa, and by extension the North, which can only result in the Night King killing them all.  Really don't want zombies winning.

Yeah, I think Baelish who has his eyes set on the Irone Throne will somehow divide Jon and Sansa, but that doesn't necessarily mean the zombies win. I'm betting Jon will go south and seek Dany's help to fight off the White Walkers once she gains the Iron Throne. 

QuoteBy the way, it's been brought up that Jon will lose Northern support once Bran arrives with the news that Jon is Lyanna's son, not Ned, because that would mean Jon isn't really a Stark.  But since Lyanna died still a Stark herself, I don't see how this makes Jon Snow any less of Stark than if he was Ned's son.

I think Littlefinger already knows, and will probably use the information as leverage possibly to try and control Jon or feed the tension between him and Sansa.

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 21, 2017, 02:10:52 PM
Really don't want zombies winning.
Hm. The Asmo grumpily roots for the Zs. Against pretty much all hope, yes, but He still doth.

QuoteBy the way, it's been brought up that Jon will lose Northern support once Bran arrives with the news that Jon is Lyanna's son, not Ned's, because that would mean Jon isn't really a Stark.  But since Lyanna died still a Stark herself, I don't see how this makes Jon Snow any less of a Stark than if he was Ned's son.
Personally, I don't see much potential for plot twisters of that nature there. Just doesn't seem like the way Martin operates. I think Bran will play a major part in the upcoming war against the Zs, as will Jon. My prediction? They will play those parts across some chilly fronts, yet not against each other.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 21, 2017, 02:19:26 PM
Bran.  I don't remember the battle he referenced either -- the Fist of the Hand of Something, I don't know -- but apparently it's something only a Stark would know, and considering how few Starks are left that means he probably is Bran.

This might refresh your memory:

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_the_Fist_of_the_First_Men

Sandra Craft

I forgot one -- Lord Baelish aka Littlefinger aka the Weasel of Westeros.  What is the Grey One's take on this character?
Sandy