News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Earworms You Don't Mind...

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 07, 2018, 05:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

...playing over and over and over again in your mind.

Are there any catchy tunes you like? If so, which one(s)?

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Recusant

The "Visit Scotland" ad campaign in the UK a few years ago used a section of a tune called "North" by Paul Mounsey. I was able to tolerate it as an earworm.  :sidesmile:

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

One that stuck with me fir a very long time was "Coloege biy", the intro to "University Challenge".

https://youtu.be/U1ae-QvIPXs
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

I prefer earworms without lyrics and for me songs such as the main theme for the game The Witcher really stick in my head:

(Especially starting at 1:40)

Or the Game of Thrones main theme. :grin: It just makes me so happy, like a fresh new episode is about to start! I really need a life. ::)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on March 07, 2018, 07:06:01 PM
The "Visit Scotland" ad campaign in the UK a few years ago used a section of a tune called "North" by Paul Mounsey. I was able to tolerate it as an earworm.  :sidesmile:

Sounds a bit like something Enigma or Era would produce.

They're a little religiously-themed, though.

Harmonie

Probably not what normal people would consider an earworm, but before going to class this morning I listened to the Part 2 Introduction of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and got the melody (stated at 1:24, for example) stuck in my head. It's beautiful to me, so it's fine to me.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

hermes2015

Quote from: Harmonie on March 07, 2018, 09:57:47 PM
Probably not what normal people would consider an earworm, but before going to class this morning I listened to the Part 2 Introduction of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and got the melody (stated at 1:24, for example) stuck in my head. It's beautiful to me, so it's fine to me.

Stravinsky is one of my favourites. I have 11 recordings of the Rite, the latest I bought is the version with Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic. It is a spectacular recording, with especially powerful bass, I like to use to show off my sound system. I hope the neighbours also like it.

I have been listening to Stravinsky's Pulcinella in the car and always smile when the Vivo part starts.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Harmonie

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 08, 2018, 04:08:59 AM

Stravinsky is one of my favourites. I have 11 recordings of the Rite, the latest I bought is the version with Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic. It is a spectacular recording, with especially powerful bass, I like to use to show off my sound system. I hope the neighbours also like it.

I have been listening to Stravinsky's Pulcinella in the car and always smile when the Vivo part starts.

Oh wow, the bassoonist there sure gives the opening solo character I haven't heard before.

Anyway, I haven't heard all of Pulcinella, but it does have a really gorgeous oboe solo in the Serenata which I love. Definitely a large change from The Rite of Spring!

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

hermes2015

Quote from: Harmonie on March 08, 2018, 04:37:07 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on March 08, 2018, 04:08:59 AM

Oh wow, the bassoonist there sure gives the opening solo character I haven't heard before.

Anyway, I haven't heard all of Pulcinella, but it does have a really gorgeous oboe solo in the Serenata which I love. Definitely a large change from The Rite of Spring!

I just commented on your Stravinsky post in the other thread. I made a comparison with Picasso's career.
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 07, 2018, 06:04:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2zoq2uI0Fc

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e3m_T-NMOs
I've never heard of the Free Electric Band, but that lead singer is HOT. I think I have a new dreamboat for the wall of my mind.

Anyway, I just think it's weird that some of you like songs stuck in your head that you CAN'T EVEN SING TO! That's the best part for me! I love all sorts of music and don't mind when something gets stuck in there, but the livelier the lyrics, or harmony, the better. I love to sing, so I've been known to sing the same song for hours, trying out different melody and harmony lines and singing all the different parts. I'm such a dork.
Phantom of the Opera is a perennial favorite (among hundreds of other favorites), but here's a special one from The Sound of Music:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

hermes2015

Quote from: Dragonia on March 08, 2018, 01:47:04 PM
I've never heard of the Free Electric Band, but that lead singer is HOT. I think I have a new dreamboat for the wall of my mind.

The singer is Albert Hammond - not my type, so not one of my pinups. The Free Electric Band wasn't a real band, just a fictional name he used in his song. Anyway, that song was released at a critical time in my life, and the philosophy expressed by Hammond had a huge influence on me. That was the year I finished my PhD in chemistry, but the song inspired me to apply to the Central School in London to study ceramic sculpture under Eduardo Paolozzi, instead of pursuing a career in chemistry. I was accepted as an art student, but ended up being trapped in chemistry, and lectured in organic chemistry at Chelsea College, University of London, instead. I did get to meet Paolozzi once at an exhibition of his work, were I bought one of his serigraphs.

I still get a bit emotional every time I hear the song.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 08, 2018, 03:20:07 PM

The singer is Albert Hammond - not my type, so not one of my pinups. The Free Electric Band wasn't a real band, just a fictional name he used in his song. Anyway, that song was released at a critical time in my life, and the philosophy expressed by Hammond had a huge influence on me. That was the year I finished my PhD in chemistry, but the song inspired me to apply to the Central School in London to study ceramic sculpture under Eduardo Paolozzi, instead of pursuing a career in chemistry. I was accepted as an art student, but ended up being trapped in chemistry, and lectured in organic chemistry at Chelsea College, University of London, instead. I did get to meet Paolozzi once at an exhibition of his work, were I bought one of his serigraphs.

:weepy: Those long gone crossroads with choices that could have led to a different life. While those 'what ifs' can cause you to get emotional, I hope you haven't regretted the path you took.

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 08, 2018, 03:48:19 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on March 08, 2018, 03:20:07 PM

:weepy: Those long gone crossroads with choices that could have led to a different life. While those 'what ifs' can cause you to get emotional, I hope you haven't regretted the path you took.

I would be lying if I said I had no regrets. But had I chosen the art option, I probably would have had similar "what if" feelings.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx