News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Hello everybody

Started by absurdsolidarity, July 10, 2011, 08:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

absurdsolidarity

It's hard to introduce myself without rambling, so my apologies, but this is the shortest I've been able to condense this to....

I was raised in Michigan by parents who were pretty liberal and vaguely Christian.  We went to a Catholic church until I was in 5th grade, then started going to a Lutheran church because my parents didn't like the other one.  I liked the "hip", "laid back" Lutheran church better because, naturally, I was a child and liked to be entertained -- I suspect my parents felt the same. 

Religion was never something that made an impact on how I led my life and my parents never reflected any of their religion onto me, except to make me go to church on Sunday.  Seriously, I think the only reason they made me was because they didn't want to pay for a babysitter. 

It was as easy to denounce my faith in God as it was for me to obtain that faith in the first place without having/needing proof.  I have been an atheist for years, but did not want to use the label fearing that would mean I was as closed-minded as those with religion.  But I resolved that dissonance when I realized I don't have to acknowledge figments of imagination as legitimate possibilities. 

To accept God is to avoid having to find an explanation for anything.  Now, I refuse to censor myself for the sake those who hide behind a God that allows them to commit such terrible acts against their fellow man based on arbitrary justifications. 

In conclusion, I am an atheist.  Nice to meet you.
"The Bible's blind, the Torah's deaf, the Qur'an is mute.  If you burned them all together you'd be close to the truth." - Bright Eyes

Tank

Hello absurdsolidarity

Nice to see another mind find its way out from under the comfort blanket of institutionalised superstition (aka religion).

Welcome to HAF  :)

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

That was all very concise and nice, welcome.

Shy

Hi. And I thought you put it out there with no rambling at all.

Owning it took me some time also.

Narwhal

Nice to meet you as well.  Love the quote!