New Member in an attempt to find a place to fit in and learn more.

Started by highway17, September 01, 2011, 12:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Hi H17

Excellent intro', looks like you're going to fit in here hand-in-glove!

Welcome to HAF  ;D

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

saulgood

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 01, 2011, 03:20:44 AM
you could become the one monkey of an infinite number of monkeys who rewrites Shakespeare.

I'm disappointed in you Magic Pudding! Such an elementary mistake... I'm an Ape in a fetching shirt and tie godamit, an Ape I tell you!  ;D
"He wrapped himself in quotations- as a beggar would enfold himself in the purple of Emperors."
Rudyard Kipling

Tank

Quote from: saulgood on September 01, 2011, 09:43:13 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 01, 2011, 03:20:44 AM
you could become the one monkey of an infinite number of monkeys who rewrites Shakespeare.

I'm disappointed in you Magic Pudding! Such an elementary mistake... I'm an Ape in a fetching shirt and tie godamit, an Ape I tell you!  ;D
Oook!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: saulgood on September 01, 2011, 09:43:13 AM

A fetching shirt eh...
Could you fetch me a cup of tea, and I don't want any monkey hair in it.

Quote from: Tank on September 01, 2011, 09:43:49 AM
Oook!

There's no need for that kind of language and few monkeys speak orangutan anyway.

saulgood

Quote from: Tank on September 01, 2011, 09:43:49 AM
Oook!

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 01, 2011, 09:51:03 AM
A fetching shirt eh...
Could you fetch me a cup of tea, and I don't want any monkey hair in it.

Oh, you may jest at my expense my follically challenged cousins but the joke will be on you when my brothers and I rise up against your tyranny and enslave you all!  Do you not watch the movies!?
"He wrapped himself in quotations- as a beggar would enfold himself in the purple of Emperors."
Rudyard Kipling

highway17

Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 01, 2011, 06:40:27 AM
Hello and welcome!
I actually do wish I attended a catholic school, because the "educational" standards at my public h.s were a joke. >___<

So your catholic school friends accepted you as atheist?

For the most part, yes. Some of them think I'm a devil worshiper, but most don't care.

OldGit

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

highway17

xSilverPhinx

I also went to catholic high school, but there wasn't anything overtly catholic about it. I guess that's a good thing. All religious classes were more about personal development rather than anything theistic. They also were among the classes least taken seriously by the students (no tests, wasn't a requisite for college entry exam etc.)   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

highway17

That's odd, the diocese my school belongs too is very traditional. It's not Jesuit like some dioceses are, which Jesuits seem to be very laid back.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: highway17 on September 02, 2011, 03:28:25 AM
That's odd, the diocese my school belongs too is very traditional. It's not Jesuit like some dioceses are, which Jesuits seem to be very laid back.

They are. They are very accepting and tolerant of others. I went to a Christian Brothers school which can't be put in the same league as the Jesuits.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

highway17

The school I go to, is in one of the most traditional (basically, old fashioned) dioceses in the US. I've been to baptisms in Jesuit church's, and it's like night and day. Nobody was required to kneel, and afterwards, the priest drank beer with the rest of us. I find it almost funny how in the diocese the city I live in is so caught up in keeping things the way they are, shoving old fashioned morals and intolerance down our throats, while just 45 minutes away, you never hear anything about "those sodomizing homosexuals" or "this country's culture is a culture of death/immodesty."